Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any accordion players on here?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Can anyone give a brief introduction to learning to play the accordion please?

Starting with the best type of accordion to learn on for a complete beginner?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I have also just taken up the accordion! any others????

What instrument you got? And what made you chose the accordion above other instruments?

I haven't taken it up yet, but seriously considering it. Although not progressing far with a mere melodica isn't a good sign :blush:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Italian piano accordion, diatonic or chromatic?

More importantly, how you getting on?

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
just FY info an accordion festival is held at The Cumberland Hotel Eastbourne twice yearly, some of the top players from around Europe and top dealers with stalls and info, think prob free to wander in for an afternoon (don't play myself)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
just FY info an accordion festival is held at The Cumberland Hotel Eastbourne twice yearly, some of the top players from around Europe and top dealers with stalls and info, think prob free to wander in for an afternoon (don't play myself)

Superb!, thanks. Will look out for that.

Edit: A quick search tells me the next one will be taking place from 14th - 17th February :thumbsup:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
An accordian band at the Amex. It would be original if slightly Gallic.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ah the brilliant eclectic NSC strikes again.

A) Ask a question nobody will answer.
2) Assume first reply is a pi$$ take.
C) Realise option 2 may well be serious.
D) Enter completely left field fact the poster probably didn't even know he knew.
V) Finish it all off with a missed joke that could have been about homosexuality.

Would the Albion accordion band be:-

The Slightly Gay-lics

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
For me this thread just confirms the 'font of all wisdom' tag that I've attached to NSC.

I could have (and in fact have) done some research and found out plenty of info about the subject. However, what I was after was first hand 'layman' knowledge and advice and the odd nugget I just wouldn't have got elsewhere.

That tip-off about the accordion festival held in an Eastbourne Hotel is indeed a nugget I just wouldn't have arrived at elsewhere. I now see the :moo: poster in a whole different light too :thumbsup:

Note as well that I kept it mainstream by not asking if there's any accordion players on here with Cumbia as their chief inspiration :wink:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Just learn to play this,and you'll be a pro

Nice, John Williams being tangoed :lol:
I do like the accordion in Tango; Gotan Project have a sound that I really like. Cumbia is possibly my favourite music with accordion in and I'd love to be able to play something like this:

[yt]PdZZ9g90rYE[/yt]

A few years back I discovered an amazing Finnish player called Kimmo Pohjonen. Bought a cd of his and was then lucky enough to see him perform live at Sussex University. Bit of a nutter, but what a performance he gives! Takes the instrument to all sorts of new levels by the time he's run it through various samplers and what not:

[yt]kqGHoIaVGKY[/yt]

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I got a ukulele for xmas, I've had a tinker but will attempt to learn how to play it in the new year.
Mr Skinner was my inspiration!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyWMaBINx2Y

Frank Skinner is a big George Formby fan. Did you see the BBC programme on Formby that Frank presented earlier in the year? Superb programme!
I do love hearing George Formby solos as he was a superb player of the instrument.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Didn't Formby actually play a banjolele?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Didn't Formby actually play a banjolele?

Well yes, he did take the sound box from a banjo and put it on a ukulele in order to amplify the sound for a musical hall audience. A ukulele as is wasn't loud enough.

Frank Skinner is a big George Formby fan. Did you see the BBC programme on Formby that Frank presented earlier in the year? Superb programme!
I do love hearing George Formby solos as he was a superb player of the instrument.

Nice 1, I'll have a look for that. I'm looking forward to learning how to play it; however, I've never learned to play an instrument..so we'll see how it goes!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Nice 1, I'll have a look for that. I'm looking forward to learning how to play it; however, I've never learned to play an instrument..so we'll see how it goes!

Seems it was from 2011, so I must have seen the re-run on the BBC earlier this year. Here you go:

[yt]BJ-7bYFmM18[/yt]

Good luck with learning your instrument.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here