Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex to become part standing .......... ?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
There wouldn't be a return to terracing as such. The club would have to rip out the current seats to put in the rail seating , the capacity stays the same as would the pricing. The North Stand is a prime candidate and the South Stand away section would need to be done too to avoid being discriminatory.

pipkin112

Aug 10, 2011
sompting
I've only sat down a couple of times since the Amex opened anyway, the stewards have definitely got more tolerant in the North Stand of late.

Dec 29, 2011
There wouldn't be a return to terracing as such. The club would have to rip out the current seats to put in the rail seating , the capacity stays the same as would the pricing. The North Stand is a prime candidate and the South Stand away section would need to be done too to avoid being discriminatory.

From what I've read safe standing could sell 1.5x more ticket with the same space. The only thing limiting this is safety issues, i.e. are exits big enough, are there enough stewards, are we licensed for 35,000 fans etc.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
From what I've read safe standing could sell 1.5x more ticket with the same space. The only thing limiting this is safety issues, i.e. are exits big enough, are there enough stewards, are we licensed for 35,000 fans etc.

Plus the fact that Barber and co. are big fans of the sit down nice and calmly and clap politely when we score style of family football that safe standing doesn't really adhere to.

Feb 14, 2010
I think the ground would be much better if the East stand lower was a terrace. The Albion was never the same after the old east Terrace was closed. To get an East terrace with a roof would be a great asset to the players and the club.

iloveguybutters

Feb 20, 2012
The only way to improve our atmosphere at home(which IMO is currently pretty poor) is to bring in safe standing/ no reserved seating in certain areas of the ground

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
No. Chance.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Only applicable to football league clubs and not premiership clubs. Barber has stated we are to be PLR and they won't change the seating for the championship only to need to return to the current state once we get promoted

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So how would you feel if the rules allowed for The Amex to become part standing?
I would love it.
If so, which stand(s) could/should become standing?
They should start with the back rows of the North stand. Simply ask STHs if they want to be in the standing section, or sitting section - count the number that say standing, and make enough of the back rows standing, to fit those people in. Everyone in front of those rows must sit (as that's what they chose). Those in the standing section may have to pay a few pounds a year extra, to pay for the cost of the work.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Only applicable to football league clubs and not premiership clubs. Barber has stated we are to be PLR and they won't change the seating for the championship only to need to return to the current state once we get promoted

Yep. The PL say they are happy to adhere to current legislation and have no plans to approach the Government seeking a change in the law. Given that, it makes no sense for BHA to put rail seats in to allow standing while we're still in the Championship, only to have to either have them permanently down (and they're much more uncomfortable than our current seats) or rip them out and put the current seats back in when we get promoted.

Just can't see it happening at the AMEX unless both, the Championship clubs are allowed to AND we get relegated to L1....

Feb 14, 2010
This has just been mentioned on the radio. They pointed out that it is legal to stand at football until you get to the Championship. They made the good point that standing doesn't change just because of the division you play in. Sounds like terraces with flip down seats that prevents forward surges will be the compromise. If so, then East stand lower please. That would be excellent, and even I might put in an appearance to stand on the East terrace down the Albion!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
1. Standing does not in itself create a decent atmosphere - the Goldstone was like a library at times.
2. You will still have the same logistical problems as now in getting the singers to stand together. With old terraces it was easy, with safe standing you still have to be very organised.

Yes, I would love football grounds to be part standing again, but unless people are organised, and the club willing to help with that, I do not believe that it will make any particular difference to the atmosphere.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
The Amex already is part standing, isn't it? Bit of a shame at Charlton when people started singing 'we stand when we want' when an announcement was made asking people to sit as it was obscuring the view of disabled supporters.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
The concourses are safe standing areas. A nice new stadium and people want to rip the seats out? It's a bit like buying a top of the range Bentley and cutting a hole in the dashboard to fit an eight track.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here