Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Christmas in the sun

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am not talking of people who live abroad but do many go away to the sun for Christmas, I fancy going away next year but wife says what about the grandchildren we wont see them open their presents. What are the general views on this?

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
Having just had the Christmas from hell, I am definitely going away next year. Either somewhere hot or skiing, not sure which yet.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I have mentioned this in another thread but here is my take on it. Around 10 years ago me and the family went to Tenerife for Xmas and it was 100* on Xmas day! I wanted dinner at 3pm as per xmas' before, doh, never again. Next two years Tenerife and Portugal, weather no where near as good as first time, it will be ok in canaries but not as hot as you might hope for. Since then I have found snowboarding, fun in the sun and snow, it cannot be beaten if you are a) active b) have kids. Trust me, I cannot think of another holiday where you are actively having fun with the whole family from 9 am to 5pm everyday. It is not for everyone, going away, but it will be hard to beat it even though there is little in the way of Xmas celebrations in the sun, canaries, or snow, skiing. The thing we do is the day after we get back we have Xmas day, opening presents, eating turkey etc. It is expensive but if I could only have one holiday a year, this would be it. Staying home is not for me, I can have Turkey dinner with the rest of my family 51 other weeks of the year!:)

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
the wise ones escape xmas.....cheaper, hotter, less to do, and more smiles all round.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
My sister in law and husband have spent Christmas in Singapore, with one part of their family. They have said never again, just isn't Christmas away from home. Yes, weather has been appalling here but it is the random weather we get at Christmas that partly makes it. They said Christmas in the hot sun is just not Christmas.

Not necessarily my view but can see the fors and against whatever is chosen.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Totally agree, it is not for everyone, especially if you think you are going to have the most wonderful celebrations or weather. This year I hit the jackpot, snowed just before we came out then snowed heavy xmas eve, Xmas day and boxing day, as snowboarders we have been in heaven for 4 days, skiers have been in hell.:) the one thing to remember is that it will not be your traditional Xmas, if you can live with that you will enjoy wether it's Sun our snow.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
No Pigs in Blankets then ? ???

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
If I didn't have to work either side of Christmas Day I'd be off like a shot. Have to go quite far for hot at this time of year, out of Europe at least.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
What would Jesus do? Would he have Christmas in chilly England, or somewhere hot?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
What would Jesus do? Would he have Christmas in chilly England, or somewhere hot?

speaking of which
we went on a Med cruise and spent Christmas Day in Jerusalem and Bethlehem and to be quite honest it was a bloody binfest and we missed the family so much
so its a NO from me

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Christmas in the sun simply isn't Christmas. We were in Disneyland, Florida for Christmas a few years back and it was in the 80's on Christmas day. Despite having the most wonderful holiday in Disney, it just didn't feel like Christmas one iota.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Christmas isn't Christmas without kids around. My kids are grown up, but it's not the same as when they were kids, and it's not the same as when I was a kid. So I'm looking forward to Christmas with their kids. We've spent Christmas (with the kids) in Austria (Salzburg Christmas market was wonderful), South of France (lots of markets, ice-skating and decorations) and Greece, but, on the continent, the Big Days are Christmas Eve and St Sylvester (New Year's Eve), not Christmas day.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
About to fly back from Cape Town and it's been in the 30's. I can confirm I will not do another Xmas in the sun as it's simply not the same.

I think New Year's Eve would be better and will be my choice next, however I have to say Cape Town has been amazing and not looking forward to my return to winters :down:

getofftheropes

bossa nova
Sep 4, 2009
brazil!no littlehampton
i used to go to Tenerefe for new years,so then you can see the family xmas day then boxing day get a nice early flight and be on the beach for one ish.NYEis great out there and as someone who hates the cold its great to get away and enjoy the heat{mid 70/80} however looked this year and flights with Norwegian air 500.oo.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I am not talking of people who live abroad but do many go away to the sun for Christmas, I fancy going away next year but wife says what about the grandchildren we wont see them open their presents. What are the general views on this?

I imagine that you will see the grandchildren on around eighty per cent of their childhood Xmas days, missing the odd one would make very little difference to them, or you, in the long term.

Spain and the Canaries are maybe not as hot as you would think, so look towards the Carribean maybe, alternatively an Alpine Xmas sounds amazing!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Christmas in the sun simply isn't Christmas. We were in Disneyland, Florida for Christmas a few years back and it was in the 80's on Christmas day. Despite having the most wonderful holiday in Disney, it just didn't feel like Christmas one iota.

Whereas a howling storm and horizontal rain does?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here