Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

On this day, fifty-five years ago

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Albion welcomed promotion contenders Fulham to The Goldstone, for a Division Two match.

Fulham boasted some star players in their team, including Johnny Haynes and George Cohen. The biggest draw for Albion fans though, was the return of former skipper Jimmy Langley, now an England International.

The biggest crowd ever to watch a home league game, 36,747, crammed into The Goldstone.

Albion responded magnificently, thrashing The Cottagers 3-0. Fulham went on to gain promotion.

Page 1.jpg

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Two fifteen kick off ?? Bloody Sky messing about with the fixtures again !!

Shortage of floodlights Mr Yeoman. Compulsory seating in the front row, which was on the running track round the edge of the pitch.
When people talk about the good old days, ( mostly it wasn't) but occasionally, it was. I was twelve then, this was one of those occasions.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Albion welcomed promotion contenders Fulham to The Goldstone, for a Division Two match.

Fulham boasted some star players in their team, including Johnny Haynes and George Cohen. The biggest draw for Albion fans though, was the return of former skipper Jimmy Langley, now an England International.

The biggest crowd ever to watch a home league game, 36,747, crammed into The Goldstone.

Albion responded magnificently, thrashing The Cottagers 3-0. Fulham went on to gain promotion.

View attachment 49782
If the club were ever to do one more old skool programme cover, I take it [MENTION=118]Hiney[/MENTION] you'd be like a dog with 2 tadgers.

D

Deleted member 2719

I have been in the Goldstone with 30,000 and there wasn't a lot of room left, so my question is how the f*** did we shoehorn in the extra 6000+???

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Time to crack open some of Fryco's finest.

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
I have been in the Goldstone with 30,000 and there wasn't a lot of room left, so my question is how the f*** did we shoehorn in the extra 6000+???
From what I can remember there were several hundred kids like myself sitting on the running track, no stewards just a few policemen, no tickets and I doubt if the turnstiles were closed. Crowds in the fifties were generally much bigger in grounds which were short on facilities but with far fewer restrictions.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Kids were passed over the crowd to the front...jammed packed together...when one fan moved...everybody moved...about my third Albion game...the first of all promotions...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here