Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Squad Rotation / Keep Shirt

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Is it the philosophy of Oscar to continue with eg a goalkeeper (just because he does not concede until he makes a cock up ) rather than to start his best possible formation other than for squad rotation ?

This issue of holding the shirt is important as it can potentially lose the club points.

discuss ?

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Best players start, end of !
Kuszchak if fit should always start

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
What will cost us more points in the long run: a player who knows he doesn't have to give his best every game because he'll always start when fit, so just accepts a poor run of form, or, a player who knows his manager expects a performance every time and there is an understudy/alternate that is able to step in?

What will cost us more points in the long run: a player who realises he isn't first choice and nothing he does when he gets a chance due to injury/suspension so doesn't really give his all when he gets the chance because it's pointless, or a player who knows any player - ANY player - that gets a chance in the team can make that move more long term if they play well enough so does his best every time out?

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Koosh should be immediately back in when fit until we have another keeper that can push him for his place. Brez and Ankers will do a job for a game or 2 but you know they will **** up and more importantly the defence know this. IMO Garcia needs needs to play his strongest team when he can.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Is Kuszczak fully fit yet?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
If we'd have persisted with Peter Ward throughout the whole of the 1978/79 season, simply because he was our star striker, I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have got promoted.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Totally different for a goalkeeper, especially when there is such a difference in class. If Koosh is not fit he shouldn't be on the bench!

I agree there is huge gulf in class between Kuszczak and the other keepers. Perhaps Oscar thinks a half-fit Kuszczak is better on the bench than a fully fit Ankergren.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I agree there is huge gulf in class between Kuszczak and the other keepers. Perhaps Oscar thinks a half-fit Kuszczak is better on the bench than a fully fit Ankergren.

Is Ankergren fully fit? Walton was the sub keeper for the games Kuszczak missed.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Is Ankergren fully fit? Walton was the sub keeper for the games Kuszczak missed.

I don't know whether he is, to be honest.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've convinced myself, baring any mishap, Brez would keep the jersey through to the FA cup when he would have played anyway.

His taking the jersey did coincide with an 'easy' run of games :facepalm:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
What will cost us more points in the long run: a player who knows he doesn't have to give his best every game because he'll always start when fit, so just accepts a poor run of form, or, a player who knows his manager expects a performance every time and there is an understudy/alternate that is able to step in?

What will cost us more points in the long run: a player who realises he isn't first choice and nothing he does when he gets a chance due to injury/suspension so doesn't really give his all when he gets the chance because it's pointless, or a player who knows any player - ANY player - that gets a chance in the team can make that move more long term if they play well enough so does his best every time out?

Though when Liverpool were at their peak they kept the same team, it worked out fairly well then. Match fitness used to be achieved by playing in the reserves.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Excellent post.

On balance, I think it creates division and damages morale within a squad if some players believe others are the 'chosen ones'. Generally, I think players will understand why an understudy who is seen to have done well will be given a run. At the same time, the best managers are ones who can manage the egos of star players and make them feel they are valued and will regain their place, even though for the time being they are out of the side.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Was Brez actually at fault for the goals or being blamed because he's the last line if defence?

Aspinall wanted to blame him for the second, but Cantor seemed unconvinced.
They questioned whether he would have had a better chance of saving the third from the free kick if his positioning was better, but again, didn't seem certain.

It seemed more a case of "could he have done better" rather than "it's his fault".

Some one in either the ratings thread or the just back thread seemed to think he had no chance with two of the goals, but not sure which ones.

Aug 23, 2011
Aspinall wanted to blame him for the second, but Cantor seemed unconvinced.
They questioned whether he would have had a better chance of saving the third from the free kick if his positioning was better, but again, didn't seem certain.

It seemed more a case of "could he have done better" rather than "it's his fault".

Some one in either the ratings thread or the just back thread seemed to think he had no chance with two of the goals, but not sure which ones.

Typically the goals just came on the tv :) From the brief highlights I would say not at fault for any like you said. Could possibly have done better for the second and third was a good free kick and he didn't move which can make the keeper look bad. The first two seemed to be poor defending more than anything.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Typically the goals just came on the tv :) From the brief highlights I would say not at fault for any like you said. Could possibly have done better for the second and third was a good free kick and he didn't move which can make the keeper look bad. The first two seemed to be poor defending more than anything.

So no presents from Brezovan, but no presence either. Reasonable grounds for dropping him?

Aug 23, 2011
So no presents from Brezovan, but no presence either. Reasonable grounds for dropping him?

Hard to tell from the briefness of what I saw. If he was replaced next game I wouldn't be complaining but I wouldn't have a problem with him continuing either. There are positives and negatives to both. How he performed in the rest of the game will have a bearing on whether he stays or not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here