Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Doctor who time of the doctor

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Really, if you don't like Doctor Who, why are you even reading this thread? I'm sure I'm wasting my time writing this but I live in hope. Yes people watch doctor who, adults, too. This thread is clearly labelled, if you have no interest in doctor who you will add nothing anyone wants to hear. Move along.

That said, it's tradition for a doctor who discussion thread. Will contain spoilers for today's episode.

I don't know if the 50th anniversary raised the bar a bit much, but I didn't think this episode was particularly strong.

I don't like how they've started to jump into the adventure without really closing out he previous episode. In the fiftieth they seemed to jump from being in his time stream to some time later. The last one ended with him deciding he would search for galifrey and now Clara is at home and he is off investigating some signal. Maybe it's just that Clara doesn't stay in the tardis so the jump stands out more.

I also didn't think much of the bulk of story. Just didn't work for me.

Am looking forward to Capaldi.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Pretty poor for me. Matt Smith has been a brilliant Dr Who , especially having to follow the amazing Tennant. It really wasn't much of a story. as for Capaldi, I'm not really a fan but I'll give him a chance

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Not great IMO.

Can't wait for Capaldi though, I think he's going to be fantastic.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Disappointing for me. Bits were good and agree Capaldi will be great. Hate to say "move along Moffat" but...move along Moffat and give Gatiss a go. Not keen on his timey wimey stuff personally and it was a shame that Matt Smith's final bow was mostly played out under prosthetics.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Disappointing for me. Bits were good and agree Capaldi will be great. Hate to say "move along Moffat" but...move along Moffat and give Gatiss a go. Not keen on his timey wimey stuff personally and it was a shame that Matt Smith's final bow was mostly played out under prosthetics.

This in spades, it was a very poor exit for an excellent Doctor.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I thought the Christmas Doctor had become a stand alone story for 'everybody'.

This one was so heavy on back story, the Whovians must have loved it, but it was gibberish to the rest of us.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

This one was so heavy on back story, the Whovians must have loved it, but it was gibberish to the rest of us.

Couldn't agree more. I'm a big fan and I found it hard to follow so heaven only knows what the average viewer though. Russell T Davies knew how to write for a larger audience.

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
Couldn't agree more. I'm a big fan and I found it hard to follow so heaven only knows what the average viewer though. Russell T Davies knew how to write for a larger audience.

I would probably be classified as an average viewer as watch it occasionally and I thought it was rubbish and impossible to follow. Also I don't like all his enemies appearing on one show. Lessens the impact, especially with the old weeping angels!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I disagree with the second part. Ion ably wouldn't win a doctor who quiz, but have watched the new series (since eccleston, I mean) a few times. It wasn't particularly heavy on backstory, and while I wouldn't want to assume I'm representative of the entire fan base, I think a lot of them will be disappointed, too.

I would probably be classified as an average viewer as watch it occasionally and I thought it was rubbish and impossible to follow. Also I don't like all his enemies appearing on one show. Lessens the impact, especially with the old weeping angels!

I love Dr Who but is it just me or do many people wonder what the f**k is going on half the time? I long for a return to the "Monster of the Week" format if only for some episodes. I have high hopes of Capaldi though, think he is going to take it back almost to William Hartnell grumpy/dotty old bloke style. I would like more stories of the "Empty Child" and "Impossible Planet" style - I a a bit fed up of the convoluted "series arcs" that seem to get in the way.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I love Dr Who but is it just me or do many people wonder what the f**k is going on half the time? I long for a return to the "Monster of the Week" format if only for some episodes. I have high hopes of Capaldi though, think he is going to take it back almost to William Hartnell grumpy/dotty old bloke style. I would like more stories of the "Empty Child" and "Impossible Planet" style - I a a bit fed up of the convoluted "series arcs" that seem to get in the way.

A lot depends on the writer, Capaldi will be hostage to fortune.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I liked it. Best prog so far this Christmas.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I disagree with the second part. Ion ably wouldn't win a doctor who quiz, but have watched the new series (since eccleston, I mean) a few times. It wasn't particularly heavy on backstory, and while I wouldn't want to assume I'm representative of the entire fan base, I think a lot of them will be disappointed, too.
Oh it was, t'was very heavy.
Like you im a reboot fan, but not an avid fan which probably didn't help.
I knew enough to recognise the backstory but not enough to know its place.

- Galifray (sp) moving.
- The time rip.
- The painting depicting the Dr's death.
- River Song's involvement, and the rest of that scene.
- The Papal stuff in general.

That's just off the top of my head, im sure that watching with this in mind I'll be able to double the amount of backstory.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
Its awful - a doctor in some high level mess nobody can really understand, and a chick in tow that is dim.....and anytime they are in a scrape some stupidness gets them out of it.

for under 12's or those who have no better stories / acting / writing to compare too - shame.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Its awful - a doctor in some high level mess nobody can really understand, and a chick in tow that is dim.....and anytime they are in a scrape some stupidness gets them out of it.

for under 12's or those who have no better stories / acting / writing to compare too - shame.
The 'dim chick' in question 2 episodes ago was highlighted as being with the Doctor for the full 50 years, and she didn't know what was going on, either.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Oh it was, t'was very heavy.
Like you im a reboot fan, but not an avid fan which probably didn't help.
I knew enough to recognise the backstory but not enough to know its place.

- Galifray (sp) moving.
- The time rip.
- The painting depicting the Dr's death.
- River Song's involvement, and the rest of that scene.
- The Papal stuff in general.

That's just off the top of my head, im sure that watching with this in mind I'll be able to double the amount of backstory.

-Galifrey moving was new to this ep following on from the fiftieth anniversary where they moved it to another universe to protect it from the daleks so the doctors didn't have to destroy it.
-All you needed to know about the time rip was that it was a rip between dimensions, that was explained in the episode.
-I don't remember what picture you're talking about
-That scene was more about linking this to old episodes to tie it up inconsistencies long time fans (I.e. Matt smith doctor era) might have, not understanding that scene wasn't important to understanding this ep.
-The papal stuff I think was mostly new for this episode, coming out of the idea the the silence is a religion. That it was confusing is a flaw with this episode and not a lack of whovian fandom.

I should probably clarify that I mean there wasn't a lot of backstory that was necessary to understanding this episode, that any backstory were cosmetic nods, rather than plot points. And that the episode was poor even if you were fully aware of all these things.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I should probably clarify that I mean there wasn't a lot of backstory that was necessary to understanding this episode, that any backstory were cosmetic nods, rather than plot points. And that the episode was poor even if you were fully aware of all these things.
Clearly we are saying the same thing.

It was easy to get lost in the nods and winks to episodes past, without watching the programme for what it was.
Once the Whovians were given their affirmation there just wasn't a lot left.

Oh and the picture was a nod to some episode where they saw a picture with The Doctors headstone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here