Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Turing FINALLY given Royal Pardon

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Unsurprisingly most haven't heard of him and those who have probably because of recent interest in his Second World War work.

But this man is up with the greatest Great Britain has ever produced.

One of the great pioneers of Modern Computing, although most coverage will (not surprisingly) cover his Enigma work. Bill Gates and Steve Jobs walked in this mans shadow.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25495315

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The father of modern computing.
Shame it's taken this long, really...

Yep.

There are a select few modern computing pioneers, Turing being one.

Bank note material, obvious candidate for Olympic Ceremony inclusion. Up there with Newton and Stephenson.

Incredibly sad it's taken this long.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
It's not that long ago that our country was run and governed by savages. Good news, but 50 years too late.

I think you'll find it's part of a continuing process of human development that's been going on for countless millenia.

I'm sure that in 50 years time many things that are condoned today by our leaders and accepted by the general populace will be considered savage.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
can we please stop using the daft term "modern computing" unless one can explain what computing was before this modern age?

and lets not understate things, he is the father of computing, along with Von Neumann.

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
can we please stop using the daft term "modern computing" unless one can explain what computing was before this modern age?

and lets not understate things, he is the father of computing, along with Von Neumann.

Computing goes back millennia - right back to the abacus.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Perhaps an royal/official apology, might be more just...

In addition to the one in 2009?

As comfortable as I am with accepting homosexuality as normal human behaviour, I question whether he is right for a pardon. He knowingly broke the law when subject to high level security clearance and compromised national security.

Which does nothing to take away his towering genius. I have been slowly reading his biography and not got beyond university days but he just makes me feel inadequate.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Computing goes back millennia - right back to the abacus.

no thats effing counting. look, yes there's been some form of computing, but it would make more sence to delinate as "Computing" from 1940's on and "proto-computing" for everything before. the paradigm completely changes precisely because of the capabilities post Turing machine are so different to anything envisaged before.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Surely everyone who was found guilty of this "crime" should be pardoned not just a high profile victim of this injustice.

Indeed. Happy that they've done it for him but it's an odd message.

It is kind of like saying you were an alright gay because you helped win the war but the rest of them deserved it.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
no thats effing counting. look, yes there's been some form of computing, but it would make more sence to delinate as "Computing" from 1940's on and "proto-computing" for everything before. the paradigm completely changes precisely because of the capabilities post Turing machine are so different to anything envisaged before.

You're one of those people who argue football started in 1992 aren't you?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Surely everyone who was found guilty of this "crime" should be pardoned not just a high profile victim of this injustice.
Certainly all such convictions should be over-turned, and apologies made, but I don't know if the queen should be doing it for all people that have ever been unjustly convicted?

I think you'll find it's part of a continuing process of human development that's been going on for countless millenia.

I'm sure that in 50 years time many things that are condoned today by our leaders and accepted by the general populace will be considered savage.
I agree that this development has been going on forever, but I assume that as time goes on, the things we're doing wrong will be lower on the savage scale.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I have done the tour of Bletchley park it it great visit and he should not of been treated the way he was he should be thanked for his work. He one of our unsung heroes. Justice at Last .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here