Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Save Brighton Speed Trials

seven stands

May 25, 2006
hastings
http://www.savebrightonspeedtrials.com

Another petition to get your names on as another part of Brighton's tradition becomes threatened by the green party

. Brighton, 23 December 2013: Calling all motorsport fans, we need your support to help save the Brighton Speed Trials. The Speed Trials is the longest running motorsport event in the UK and has become a world-famous action packed sprint. It is under threat by Brighton and Hove Council who want to refuse permission and block the event taking place on the seafront.

But you can help by signing our petition; either visit www.savebrightonspeedtrials.com or go directly to the petition which is on the Brighton and Hove Council web site and sign it now: http://tinyurl.com/qjtbmub. Don’t delay; the council will be making a decision on 23 January 2014!

The Speed Trials has been running in Brighton since 1905 and is one of the highlights of the seafront entertainment calendar. Thousands of people come down for an entertaining fun-packed day out for the whole family to watch some of the UK’s best race cars and motor bikes compete along Madeira Drive. Over two hundred cars and motor bikes line up to take a timed run including road cars, race cars and drag bikes who compete to win the fastest in their class. A top six run-off to find the fastest car and bike brings the day to a dramatic close.

Brighton and Hove Council is planning to block permission for this annual event so we need your help. As well as signing our petition you can support the campaign by circulating the link to the petition to friends and family, FaceBook contacts and Twitter followers.

The Brighton Speed Trials is organised by Brighton and Hove Motor Club; the club’s Tony Watts said: “We are appealing to motorsport fans, local residents and everyone who enjoys a family day out at the seaside to help us save this historic event. The loss of the Brighton Speed Trials will be the end of an era for Brighton with over 100 years of history and entertainment in the area gone.”

The end of the Speed Trials will also have a financial impact on tourism and trade for retailers and businesses in the area as it brings thousands of visitors to Brighton.

Updates will be posted to Twitter, follow us: @SaveBST

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Were the speed trials not axed as someone died at them a year or two ago?

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Were the speed trials not axed as someone died at them a year or two ago?

Someone died at the Marathon. Shall we ban that too.

It depends on how they died, and who they were. If a spectator is killed by something central to the event (eg a car crashes after a loss of control at high speed) then changes need to be made. If a runner dies whilst taking part it can be said that they took the risk with the knowledge of the danger to their OWN health.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
It depends on how they died, and who they were. If a spectator is killed by something central to the event (eg a car crashes after a loss of control at high speed) then changes need to be made. If a runner dies whilst taking part it can be said that they took the risk with the knowledge of the danger to their OWN health.

Most runners die because they run when they are not 100% well. With Marathon's the pressure of the promised funds for charity in return for entering/completion may cause some to run whereas they may have had the day off otherwise.
It is charities that are killing runners for funds, should we ban charities?

seven stands

May 25, 2006
hastings

It was a participant that died not a spectator

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Signed.

I love the Speed Trials. Go every year rain or shine. I very nearly joined the BRMC so I could have a go myself in my car.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Indeed.
About 8 people have died doing the very green London to Brighton bike ride. I know it's for charity and all that but will they ban that too? ???

Landgull

Oct 30, 2009
I wanted to support the continuation of this event but in order to vote the council of Brighton wanted too many personal details so I reluctantly declined.
Good luck.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
When I was a regular competitor [motorbike road-racing] in the 80's I entered this event.
I think it was a kilometre track back then with 2 lanes [side by side].
That year some bloke lost control of his car after the finish line and went in to bank under Dukes Mound. His car overturned and he did not have a proper roll-cage. He died from his injuries and the event was abandoned for the day.

20 second run for me and clocked at 131 MPH going past the Penny Wonderland / mini funfair.
All competitors know the risks, as do spectators, and I'd be pretty confident of saying that if a competitor did die in the event, they absolutely wouldn't want their misfortune to cause the event to be stopped.

Voted ..... number 1325 - gonna need more than that.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Most runners die because they run when they are not 100% well. With Marathon's the pressure of the promised funds for charity in return for entering/completion may cause some to run whereas they may have had the day off otherwise.
It is charities that are killing runners for funds, should we ban charities?

Not exactly true. Studies show it's mainly heart disease in over 35s, genetic heart defects in under 35s, hypernatremia or low sodium levels and heat related issues. This has little to do with pressure to run.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Why are the council opposed to this?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Is there any evidence to suggest "they are planning to block this event"?

seven stands

May 25, 2006
hastings
During the speed trials in 2012 a lady rider on a combination was killed. The inquest had not been held so the event did not take place this year in case the coroner made some recommendations on safety. However, since then the green party lead councillors of the Economic Development & Culture Committee have decided that the speed trials should not take place in the future and they have already pencilled in an alternative event for the day in September when the trials would normally take place. They have also decided that there should be an event to ‘Celebrate ‘ the end of the speed trials!!!!!!!
There has been no full council involvement in this decision.
http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=187510

Found the above whilst googling, maybe rubbish as I believe not everything found on the net is true ?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Why are the council opposed to this?

Given that they are a Green Council, I would imagine it is their ideological hatred of the internal combustion engine, especially when being used for fun.

Sady, that's absolute gibberish.

The safety officers at the council are not satisfied that the organisers have put in sufficient safety precautions following previous years' accidents. This has nothing to do with any party political affiliations. Indeed, the Green Party would have been happy for this to continue.

However, the Tories on the council have attempted to make it party political by putting out a statement to the effect that, because of the fears of 100mph speeds along the seafront at the Speed Trial, the council has put the Veteran Car Run is in jeopardy as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here