Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Points comparison

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
This shows that no progress is being made, though?!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Oddly, when you compare how we did last season against the teams we have played this season, we're actually down on last season.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I think the second half is going to be a lot tougher than last year when it seemed that most didn't want it. I very much doubt we'll see the same levels of inconsistency (nobody in top 8 managed to get 20 points in last 10 games, 2 couldn't even make double figures)

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Bearing in mind all the upheaval before the season, recruiting a manager with no experience in this country and all the injuries we've had, I would say we are doing very well so far.

I see potential to improve results with Oscar.

Under Gus, we'd hit a ceiling, apparently...

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Beat Charlton and Bournmouth and we will be happier keep the faith.
Happy Chrismas my fellow fans and customers!

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Beat Charlton and Bournmouth and we will be happier keep the faith.
Happy Chrismas my fellow fans and customers!

Agree and don't forget that we were trounced by Watford between Xmas and new year last season and so a win at Charlton would see us in a better position than we were at the same point last year and arguably, due to injuries, with a weaker team.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Oddly, when you compare how we did last season against the teams we have played this season, we're actually down on last season.

If you ignore teams that were promoted/relegated to the Championship, we are 4 points down v what we got last season. If you swap relegated/promoted to the championship teams with those relegated/promoted from the championship, we are 8 points down.

modulate

Nov 23, 2013
Last season away from home at the 3 sides that got promoted we got 3 points. Against the 3 sides that replaced them this season we've got 5 points

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Last season away from home at the 3 sides that got promoted we got 3 points. Against the 3 sides that replaced them this season we've got 5 points

Yep. But last season we beat derby and barnsley at home and drew with Forest, this season we lost all three. Last season we beat huddersfield and Sheff Wed at home but only managed a draw this year. That's -11. Last season we beat ipswich and leeds away, this season we lost, that's another -6 points.

Another quirk of comparisons and maths, if we had got the same results as when we played these fixtures last season (i.e. against the teams we have played) we would only have 26 points.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Yep. But last season we beat derby and barnsley at home and drew with Forest, this season we lost all three. Last season we beat huddersfield and Sheff Wed at home but only managed a draw this year. That's -11. Last season we beat ipswich and leeds away, this season we lost, that's another -6 points.

Another quirk of comparisons and maths, if we had got the same results as when we played these fixtures last season (i.e. against the teams we have played) we would only have 26 points.

Utterly pointless (pardon the pun) comparing against the same teams as last year. They aren't the same teams, only by name. Some are better, some are worse than last year. Comparing apples to oranges, e.g. Watford Last year Watford this year, etc etc

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Utterly pointless (pardon the pun) comparing against the same teams as last year. They aren't the same teams, only by name. Some are better, some are worse than last year. Comparing apples to oranges, e.g. Watford Last year Watford this year, etc etc

Exactly.

They are not the same, have different lineups, different injuries, maybe different managers, tactics etc.

A more valid comparison will be in 2 matches time - the half way point. Hopefully by then positive and negative differences from last season have to some degree evened themselves out over all the teams.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
In truth comparing anything to last season is pointless. Points needed at the end of the season for each significant part (avoiding relegation, play offs, automatic, top) change each year. A poor run in the second half of the season can negate a great run in the first half. The only comparison worthy is at the end of the season.

But some people take interest in comparisons as the season goes by. Some say comparing our away result against reding with a home result v Sheffield Wednesday shows nothing because they are apples and oranges, but comparing reading away with reading away is more like comparing Granny Smiths with golden deliciouses, most teams don't make wholesale changes from season to season.

Personally, I just like the quirk of maths that we have the same points as after the same number of games, yet are doing worse against the teams we have played.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
It shows progress from last season considering we had 8 players out for 80% of our games so far.

Although we got four more points than anyone jan-may last season so will be tough to match!

Yes, it is true that we have the same amount of points and it is obviously good news considering the upheaval of summer and the injuries, and clearly there is room for optimism. However, may I add a note of caution here. Last year, and at times this season, many comments here pleaded for a Plan B at home and this seems as relevant as ever again this year, as yet again we have dropped so many needless points at home. When the Huddersfields of this world come and park the proverbial bus, we struggle to break them down, coupled invariably with a slow first half. On Saturday, Barnes was often surrounded by three defenders all spoilt for choice. I don't really know about the pros and cons of 4-2-4 and 4-3-3 -that is why we have Oscar - but it does seem obvious, at least to me!, that if we start with real attacking intent, ideally with two wingers, and that should surely involve two strikers, then the momentum gets going, as the crowd react to it. I can't see an improvement in the home form, given what we have mostly seen this season and only hope that I am wrong.
On the positive side, David's passing was excellent and should have lead to a goal, after the header was parried in front of Barnes, who might have been a bit surprised, to be fair, but it was still a shocking miss. Bruno too was a real boon to the team. There was much good passing until the final ball and all in all, play-off chances remain good, but could be so much better.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
In truth comparing anything to last season is pointless. Points needed at the end of the season for each significant part (avoiding relegation, play offs, automatic, top) change each year. A poor run in the second half of the season can negate a great run in the first half. The only comparison worthy is at the end of the season.

Agree with this. We are at the same place points wise but I very much doubt we will see pretty well everyone else imploding in the last third of the season as they did last year, so I reckon we still need to up our game. Imagine that anyone with an eye on the play offs this year will need considerably more than the 68 of last year, maybe as much as 75 (current Reading run rate)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here