Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar - keep the shirt - philosophy

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Today maybe told us something about Oscar's player management philosophy.

We've seen him be reluctant to play Lita - Barnes scored a couple so keeps his shirt
Today we had PIG on the bench - Brez done okay / kept a couple of clean sheets - keeps his shirt
Ulloa twice now been on the bench - but Barney keeps his shirt.
I'll bet El Abd keeps his shirt when Greer pushes Dunk off the bench too

It could be a number of other reasons;
a) player not fully fit / doesn't want to rush them back
b) doesn't rate bench option as stronger
c) doesn't recognise that players need game time to achieve match fitness

thoughts?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
that contradicts the fact that he rushed buckley back in who then apparently had a less than glorious match.......the Lita thing has got me puzzled though.....him and Len could be deadly together , do you think he wanted buckley and ash in the shop window for january...?

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
that contradicts the fact that he rushed buckley back in who then apparently had a less than glorious match.......the Lita thing has got me puzzled though.....him and Len could be deadly together , do you think he wanted buckley and ash in the shop window for january...?

Not really, he took Conways place who couldn't exactly keep his shirt!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Difficult to answer this really.

Undoubtedly Crofts was rested as he has a number of niggles. Ince was rested for a similar reason versus Barnsley (though IMO that backfired).

I sort of don't agree with the policy in terms of Kuszczak, as in keeping terms he is so superior than Brez and Casper, he should always start.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
For every example such as PiG v 2m Peter, there's a counter argument.

Its not rocket science, Oscar picks the team to win the game.
I'm sure if we were away, playing an attacking 'unit' PiG would have come in.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
For every example such as PiG v 2m Peter, there's a counter argument.

Its not rocket science, Oscar picks the team to win the game.
I'm sure if we were away, playing an attacking 'unit' PiG would have come in.

So you would rotate your keepers depending on opposition? Don't agree with that at all.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So you would rotate your keepers depending on opposition? Don't agree with that at all.
No, that's not what I mean, although I do see I'm being a little contradictory.
PB 'has the shirt' fair enough, but he's only renting it, the first opportunity PiG is needed, he'll be back.
Luckily for PB he's come into the team at the exact moment Oscar would hope his goalie would be underused.

When all fit SD, Will & KLL, maybe even Conway, I think are all unlikely to 'keep the shirt', with OG playing the specific team required for the style of play needed to match the opposition.

The same with Crofts, Kemy, and JFC.

I see the shirt keepers as PiG (when he gets it back), Ward (no competition) & Ulloa (that might be different had Barnes taken half his chances).
I guess Bridcutt should feature, and probably will, but it's not like we struggled without him.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Kaz can play on the left.....Buckley has been hit and miss on a ratio of about 30 /70 for quite some time......If Len was playing i can see the preference to play buckley but not with ashley on his own....( 50p head)

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
No, that's not what I mean, although I do see I'm being a little contradictory.
PB 'has the shirt' fair enough, but he's only renting it, the first opportunity PiG is needed, he'll be back.
Luckily for PB he's come into the team at the exact moment Oscar would hope his goalie would be underused.

When all fit SD, Will & KLL, maybe even Conway, I think are all unlikely to 'keep the shirt', with OG playing the specific team required for the style of play needed to match the opposition.

The same with Crofts, Kemy, and JFC.

I see the shirt keepers as PiG (when he gets it back), Ward (no competition) & Ulloa (that might be different had Barnes taken half his chances).
I guess Bridcutt should feature, and probably will, but it's not like we struggled without him.

:thumbsup: Fair enough.

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
He will play his strongest team, the players he rested are not fully fit.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Well if playing well is what keeps the shirt then Ulloa is back next game then.

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
Brez came in vs Saints ( 3-0) to deal with their crosses and aerial threats (England callup Ricky Lambert)

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
I heard somebody saying that Lita has had a bit of a hissy fit about his lack of game time and now isn't training either. If this is the case, then his loan is as good as over already

Really can't blame him. Never been given a chance despite a prolific record at this level. Not match fit when he came but was never going to be with 10 minutes here and there (and none at all at Bournemouth when they were there for the taking).Can only assume he's been giving it the billy big spuds in training and not endeared himself to OG. Shame as always rated him and thought he could have notched half a dozen while here.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
He has got to give game time to all of the players for the end of season push and he wants them to be ready for it.

If Kuz gets injured again, playing Brez now to gain confidence, can only help if he is called upon later.

Jul 14, 2012
Brez came in vs Saints ( 3-0) to deal with their crosses and aerial threats (England callup Ricky Lambert)

And because Ankergren had had a disaster at Coventry. I suspect it had more to do with the failings of Ankergren than Ricky Lambert.

In other news, Garcia doesn't have some mythical keep the shirt policy. Kuszczak was clearlh not fit enough to start, otherwise he would have. Everyone on football knows Kuszczak is better than Brezovan, and you wouldn't choose not to play the obviously better guy if he were fully fit.

Buckley is in the team because there isn't another option. Garcia won't play March or Dickensen, and they are the other options. For the record, Buckley was rubbish on saturday. He was like Stuart Storer going for a run for a laugh, without a hope of making anything happen. Both of them living off fame for goals against Doncaster, ironically.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
This theory can be instantly disproved by the fact that Bruno is playing ahead of Calderon.

Do you mean Bruno is keeping his shirt because he is a better player than Calde?

Don't get the PIG on the bench even though he's not 100% fit. Was it that he was more fit than all other keeper options? Brez could have been injured in the first 5 mins and then PIG wold have to of played 85 mins - are we suggesting he was fit to do this but not 90 mins?

Puzzled by some of OG's selections for the bench. Let's see what happens when Len is 100% and CMS is bench-ready.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here