Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Graham Swann retires from all cricket with immediate effect.

larus

Monty is there on tour, and we're never going to play 2 spinners together in Aus. He's looked a spent force. For all we know, he may have been told that he's going to be dropped, and decided to bring his retirement forward so he isn't seen to be dropped, but goes out before this is announced.

So no, it's not a big issue to me. The tour is 'over'; by that I mean we've lost the ashes, so let's blood a few different players

D

Deleted member 18477

I'm gutted. Swanny was brilliant on and off the field.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
He 's had a tough tour, the elbow may be giving him problems plus he does not like getting planted over long on for 6. Maybe Flower said that he was dropped for the 4th Test and so he decided that's that then.
I hope he avoids the temptation to go on to date crap actresses, get a re-thatch and a facelift. Cheers Swanny, the first to jump.

User Removed

Oct 21, 2005
Brighton
Why all the superlatives?

Yes what a player, what a bowler, what memories.

BUT - what a pathetic and weak willed individual he's showing himself as to quit at this time. We're in the middle of an Ashes series (albeit we've lost) for Christ's sake?

He's had a shocker of a series, he's f**ked up big time last week with the whole Facebook thing and he will now always be remembered for deserting a sinking ship.

What a shame.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
the team clearly has very little morale left.......i wish pietersen would **** off as well and let us get on with building a new team........perhaps an English coach/manager would help.....Lehman seems to have got the Aussie's to bond into a tough unit.....but who is there...??

User Removed

Oct 21, 2005
Brighton
He 's had a tough tour, the elbow may be giving him problems plus he does not like getting planted over long on for 6. Maybe Flower said that he was dropped for the 4th Test and so he decided that's that then.
I hope he avoids the temptation to go on to date crap actresses, get a re-thatch and a facelift. Cheers Swanny, the first to jump.

Ah yes the old 'you're dropped for the next game',

'well **** that I'm retiring' thing.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Short career for a spinner. Almost smacks of enjoying the good times but no guts for dealing with the tough times.
There is no doubt the Aussies have singled him out as the bowler to take on in this series and they have won big time with this decision.

Tough act to follow ....

User Removed

Oct 21, 2005
Brighton
No. He will be remembered for being one of England's best ever spinners...

When I think of Zinedine Zidane the first thing that springs to mind is his headbutt in the World Cup Final. Then I think of his great career and the amazing player he was.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Some VERY SERIOUS thinking to be done here,otherwise this is the shambles of Flintoff in Australia,Trott,Swann now out,yet four months no one would have thought of this. K/P is K/P and for is 'one HIS day' class but there never has been enough of them for me. Too many on here thought this was in the bag (i don't expect you to admit it) but a few of us saw it differently the media as usual went cheap in the summer slagging off the Australian bowler's only a fool does that and we are inheriting the wind.

- - - Updated - - -

Short career for a spinner. Almost smacks of enjoying the good times but no guts for dealing with the tough times.
There is no doubt the Aussies have singled him out as the bowler to take on in this series and they have won big time with this decision.

Tough act to follow ....

Good point,game plan they have one we don't.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
A bit spineless. Nevertheless a good cricketer could have been a great if not for his lack of focus early on in his career.

With the lack of turn he was getting over there, it was as much a case of spinless as spineless.

There's a time to retire...and that's not in the middle of an Ashes tour, regardless of the known outcome.

Yes, we'll remember the good times as Swann was an outstanding bowler who played a huge part in a golden time for England.

However, this is not the way that a professional sportsman should bow out.

Ego and self-interest put before the team.

D

Deleted member 18477

When I think of Zinedine Zidane the first thing that springs to mind is his headbutt in the World Cup Final. Then I think of his great career and the amazing player he was.

Funny because when I think of Zidane I think of one of the greatest ever players to play the game. I think of his champions league final volley and his brilliant performances to guide France to the World Cup in 98...

But then some people are just negative I suppose and like to think of others bad points before all the great achievements...

User Removed

Oct 21, 2005
Brighton
Funny because when I think of Zidane I think of one of the greatest ever players to play the game. I think of his champions league final volley and his brilliant performances to guide France to the World Cup in 98...

But then some people are just negative I suppose and like to think of others bad points before all the great achievements...

Oh well I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this then you old romantic.

User Removed

Oct 21, 2005
Brighton
Real shame. Hope its not a knee-jerk decision that he'll regret, his elbow has been causing him a lot of pain so if its that then fair enough, but we won't get another one as good as him for a long time.

Hang on, no sorry - if it's his poor little painful elbow then he should retire for that reason surely?!

Funnily enough though there's no mention of that in his statement.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here