Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The most disturbing and upsetting novel you will ever read ?

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
The Girl Next Door by Jack Ketchum. Based loosely on a true story, this is a novel about a teenage girl who is abused by a family of boys and their insane mother.
I finished it a week ago and am still haunted by it.

I know Christmas is a time to be happy but this book is the most disturbing thing I have read in my 40 years on this planet.

I cannot believe that this shit happens.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Fiction...The Terror by Dan Simmons. Fictional account of the Doomed Franklin Mission to find the Northwest passage. HMS Terror and HMS Erebus are trapped in the ice and something is on the ice with them. Very disturbing stuff. Scurvy, alcoholism, cannibalism and cryptozoology. It's a long book but very very well written. I also rated "last light" by Alex Scarrow. Global terror attacks on the worlds power resources send society back to the Stone Age. UK writer so focused on Britain collapsing in on itself.

Non fiction I vote for "killing for company" the Dennis Nillson story, or " beyond belief" the account of the moors murders.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
The Girl Next Door by Jack Ketchum. Based loosely on a true story, this is a novel about a teenage girl who is abused by a family of boys and their insane mother.

I know Christmas is a time to be happy but this book is the most disturbing thing I have read in my 40 years on this planet.

Why would you read anything like that?

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast

Shit happens.. I saw an 83 year old woman squijjed by a car (or what was left of her on the road afterwards with all her shopping) a few weeks ago.

I'm reading Jack Dee's autobiography at the moment to help me recover. It's hilarious, most of the time, but in parts quite profound. A very troubled guy.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
A farewell to arms by Ernest hemmingway

Karen was pregnant with laura at the time when I read it and for all of this who will have read it, will know the outcome.

I loved it until the last 5 pages and then Ended up completely traumatised.

If you get a chance please do read it.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The most disturbing book is by our former chairman

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Thanks for the heads up, I will give this one a MISS.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
A book called Cows by Matthew Stokoe. He works in an abattoir with some proper psychos, his mum is mental. They do unspeakably perverted things to the cows...and likewise he does to his mum. It's seriously, seriously warped - imagine Iain Banks 'The Wasp Factory' multiplied by Irvine Welsh 'Filth' and you're not even close to how sick this is.

*shudder*

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Comforts-Madness-Paul-Sayer/dp/0340508043

catatonic mental patient having a bad time

pretty effing disturbing and upsetting

- - - Updated - - -

A book called Cows by Matthew Stokoe. He works in an abattoir with some proper psychos, his mum is mental. They do unspeakably perverted things to the cows...and likewise he does to his mum. It's seriously, seriously warped - imagine Iain Banks 'The Wasp Factory' multiplied by Irvine Welsh 'Filth' and you're not even close to how sick this is.

*shudder*

well that's the future ex-Mrs Pevenseagull's Christmas present sorted then :)

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Don't worry movie fans..... they made it for you.

I haven't seen it and I don't think i want to.

This review says it all for me

http://technorati.com/entertainment/film/article/the-girl-next-door-is-an/

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
Fiction...The Terror by Dan Simmons. Fictional account of the Doomed Franklin Mission to find the Northwest passage. HMS Terror and HMS Erebus are trapped in the ice and something is on the ice with them. Very disturbing stuff. Scurvy, alcoholism, cannibalism and cryptozoology. It's a long book but very very well written. I also rated "last light" by Alex Scarrow. Global terror attacks on the worlds power resources send society back to the Stone Age. UK writer so focused on Britain collapsing in on itself.

Non fiction I vote for "killing for company" the Dennis Nillson story, or " beyond belief" the account of the moors murders.

the first 2 you mention sound great - thanks for the recommendations

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here