Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Playing budgets?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I found this paragraph quite interesting from the recent letter to season holders from Tony Bloom:

When we made our initial plans for this season last February, we thought we'd have to reduce the playing budget by around 6%. Thanks to the support of season ticket holders and the hard work of the staff in cutting our running costs we have actually been able to give Oscar a small increase in the playing budget

First up, may I just say this is not a rant about the letter, Tony Bloom or our club. I'm very happy with all three. This is just a couple of questions for debate regarding playing budgets at football clubs in general.

At what point do you think fans will say enough is enough and demand that their clubs actually cut playing budgets rather than keep trying to meet the increases in players wages and transfer fees in a bid to achieve success on the pitch?

I'm just wondering; in hard times when most people are being asked to tighten their belts..... how long will footballers and their agents be allowed to swan around in burmuda shorts and flip flops, immune from the cold winds of austerity?

Or, are fans really not bothered what players and their agents earn, so long as their club is making progress on the pitch?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here