glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
RIP David

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Unlike our Des, a bit of a prickly character off camera apparently. Bloody great commentator though, whatever the sport.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
RIP, You were THE voice of Sportsnight in my youth.

- - - Updated - - -

Unlike our Des, a bit of a prickly character off camera apparently. Bloody great commentator though, whatever the sport.

Des is not too well these days either.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Never any joy in the death of anyone, but does his death really warrant being the lead story on the BBC website?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Never any joy in the death of anyone, but does his death really warrant being the lead story on the BBC website?

All the other main stories on the BBC News site aren't that memorable, by contrast.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
RIP - Remarkable career in broadcasting.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Many memories of David Coleman, particularly recall his commentary on Sally Gunnell's gold medal at the Barcelona Olympics - 'Gunnell going for gold...and Gunnell gets the gold' and on Seb Coe winning the 1500m gold at the LA Olympics. From a football point of view, the 'goals pay the rent' line from the 1974 FA Cup final was a classic and I also recall the clip from the 1962 World Cup about the 'most disgusting, despicable match ever'. From a journalistic point of view, he was particularly impressive reporting the aftermath of the atrocities at the Munich Olympics. But for me as someone growing up in the late 1980s/early 1990s, I remember him most for 'A Question of Sport' when that show was in its heyday. You got the impression he knew most of the answers to the questions he was reading out and he seemed to take great delight when Botham or Beaumont got one of their 'home' questions wrong.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Someone else from my childhood has gone....bugger

RIP dave

You will be missed

Quite incredible

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
commentating on Linford Christie

"he always pulls it out when it matters"

my abiding memory is the '78 cup final

"Osbourne 1 nil"

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
He was blessed by the ability to make the most mundane line memorable by the way he said it, without any hyperbole. Who else could make 'One Nil' into a catchphrase?

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Many memories of David Coleman, particularly recall his commentary on Sally Gunnell's gold medal at the Barcelona Olympics - 'Gunnell going for gold...and Gunnell gets the gold' and on Seb Coe winning the 1500m gold at the LA Olympics. From a football point of view, the 'goals pay the rent' line from the 1974 FA Cup final was a classic and I also recall the clip from the 1962 World Cup about the 'most disgusting, despicable match ever'. From a journalistic point of view, he was particularly impressive reporting the aftermath of the atrocities at the Munich Olympics. But for me as someone growing up in the late 1980s/early 1990s, I remember him most for 'A Question of Sport' when that show was in its heyday. You got the impression he knew most of the answers to the questions he was reading out and he seemed to take great delight when Botham or Beaumont got one of their 'home' questions wrong.

They repeated his "Anne Packer" commentary in the Tokyo Olympics tonight in one broacast, people forget she and her hubby Robbie Brightwell were the Posh and Becks of their day. They produced quite a good footballing son too, played for Man City I think. Wonder what Brooklyn will achieve..

There was a good "Colemanballs" moment on BBC SCR tonight in the report about the Orient v Crawley game. Orient scored first and the reporter said that this - err - gave the leaders in the game - err- their lead.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here