Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Safe Standing-Gathering Momentum

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Yes i know its been done to death on here,but for those that are interested in this which i can only presume is everyone,premiership supporters groups that have been approached are giving this a thumbs up,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/25136422

Supporters' groups from more than half of all Premier League clubs say they would like the option to stand at football matches again.
Trusts from the likes of Chelsea, Manchester United and Cardiff City say it would improve the atmosphere at games.
Some say adopting German-style "rail seats" could prevent injuries to fans who currently stand.
The government says all-seater stadiums remain the best way to ensure safety.
All-seater stadiums were made compulsory in the Championship and Premier League following an inquiry into the Hillsborough disaster.
In 1989, 96 Liverpool fans died watching their side play an FA Cup semi-final after a crush on the steel-fenced terraces at Sheffield Wednesday's ground.
The Liverpool Supporters' Union, Spirit of Shankly, says they have not adopted a position on designated standing zones.
But supporters groups from 12 Premier League teams say they do back a trial.
Not all of the trusts contacted replied, while some clubs have more than one supporter group limiting an overall response.
A statement from the Cardiff City Supporters' Trust said: "We believe that standing at football matches is not intrinsically dangerous and support a trial of safe standing at a professional club in England and Wales."
The Chelsea Supporters' Trust added: "There is a majority [of members] in favour of standing at football grounds. Those in favour believe that it improves the atmosphere at the game."
Duncan Drasdo, chief executive of the Manchester United Supporters' Trust, said: "Those that would like to stand would like to be able to stand, in a safer environment than it currently is.
"We have seen the rail seats in Germany and we believe they're an excellent solution.
"Every row has a rail going across it so effectively nobody can fall forward, unlike the current scenario we have with the low-back plastic seats."
Clubs in Sweden, Austria and Germany are just some of those to have standing areas with many using the rail seats system.
Thomas Franke is the stadium manager at Bundesliga side VFL Wolfsburg.
He said: "There is a safety barrier with a seat attached. When the seats are locked up there is a gap between barriers to allow standing.
"It's completely safe and it's part of German football history and culture."
VFL Wolfsburg say no-one has been injured while standing at their ground.
They also claim their 5,270 standing places are mostly taken by under-30s because it's cheaper.
Michael Gossman paid £130 for his standing season ticket at Wolfsburg, with seated tickets costing nearly £600 per season.
"It's a completely different atmosphere when standing, you can sing and raise your arms," said the 17-year-old.
However Jonas Polaszvek, 20, admits standing areas can present a problem for police with identifying troublemakers.
"At Borussia Dortmund they can have 25,000 people standing and you can do something and the police cannot see you."
Clubs in England and Wales would need permission from the government to trial standing areas.
A statement from the Department for Culture, Media and Sport said: "The government believes that the long-standing policy which requires that stadia of football clubs in the top two divisions be all-seater, is the best means to ensure the safety and security of fans."
The government also says it believes football grounds are more comfortable than 20 years ago.
"The football authorities and police continue to support this position and we do not believe there has been a compelling case made for the policy to change."
However, the law is different in Northern Ireland and Scotland, with Celtic suggesting they are considering standing areas in part of their ground.
Alloa Athletic chairman Mike Mulraney also believes the introduction of safe standing would help Scottish clubs reduce prices and increase crowds.

personally i think the opinion of the The Liverpool Supporters' Union, Spirit of Shankly is quite telling on this issue,they have more right than anyone to sit on the fence on this issue and no one can blame them but i think if they decided to back at least a trial so that the pros and cons could be discussed in light of evidence the government and authorities would be more willing to listen to options

And let us drink beer in our seats!The most ridiculous and outdated law of all

Last edited:

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
And let us drink beer in our seats!The most ridiculous and outdated law of all

I dunno, from my previous experiences of seeing turf whilst drinking a pint of Harvey's it's a wonder I'm not doing time.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
its also quite telling that atmosphere is quoted again and again.
Maybe the great new stadiums .......fantastic as they are.......are just too sterile!

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I dunno, from my previous experiences of seeing turf whilst drinking a pint of Harvey's it's a wonder I'm not doing time.

I think its only fair to point out the law is maybe in place for one pint screamers like yourself

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
for those that are interested in this which i can only presume is everyonel

You presume very wrong,
What about the elderly, disabled, partially disabled,those with leg problems,those with back problems or those that would just prefer to sit rather than stand.
That is a very big presumption blinded by your own preference

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
You presume very wrong,
What about the elderly, disabled, partially disabled,those with leg problems,those with back problems or those that would just prefer to sit rather than stand.

The 'safe standing' would be in a designated section of the stadium, much like the singing sections. It wouldn't effect those not wanting to part take in it.

I really don't see the fun in "safe" standing. Nowadays it's akin to choosing to stand on a bus when there are seats available. I grew up on a staple diet of seventies and eighties North Stand, and that was certainly Unsafe, that was the appeal. I'm sorry people, it's gone and it's not coming back.

BTW i'll sign any petition, write to MPs etc and I hope those that want it get it.....but for me PERSONALLY that ship has sailed

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Standing does not mean singing.

Even with safe standing, you will have to be very organised to ensure that the singers are all together, otherwise you will have the same "problems" as now. Safe standing in itself will not create an atmosphere and those who think it is the answer are misguided. If all those who want to sing now approached the club and sorted out a singing section in the ground for next season, the supposed need for safe standing may dissipate.

Standing does not mean singing.

Even with safe standing, you will have to be very organised to ensure that the singers are all together, otherwise you will have the same "problems" as now. Safe standing in itself will not create an atmosphere and those who think it is the answer are misguided. If all those who want to sing now approached the club and sorted out a singing section in the ground for next season, the supposed need for safe standing may dissipate.

in the "good ol days" those that used to sing the most used to just push their way into a certain area to stand with their mates, squeezing/pushing people out the way, that wont happen now with head counts on each aisle and little yellow boxes painted on the ground. This will not guaranteed friends/singers etc will be together

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm struggling to think of any event I would like to go to and have to stand up for at my age. Incredible to think that you could pay that much money to stand.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
The 'safe standing' would be in a designated section of the stadium, much like the singing sections. It wouldn't effect those not wanting to part take in it.

I fully recognise that it would be specific stands but the OP stated presumed that "everyone" interested in safe standing which they ain't.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
You presume very wrong,

They don't have to go in a standing section. Why would anyone be against other people being able to stand at the football?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
You presume very wrong,

sorry,just to clarify the presumption was (rightly or wrongly) that everyone was interested in the issue not that everyone wants safe standing,i take someone who uses the disabled section so safe standing is obviously not something for him but he has voiced an opinion on the matter,

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You presume very wrong,
I wouldn't be able to use a safe standing area, but I desperately want us to have one. It'll help with the atmosphere. It's just so simple to put in place.

They could easily make the back rows of the North stand safe standing. Simply ask all North stand season ticket holders whether they want to be part of it or not, and then make a safe standing area that's larger enough to accommodate those that said they want it.

Of course it would cost money, but I doubt it would be that much.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
sorry,just to clarify the presumption was (rightly or wrongly) that everyone was interested in the issue not that everyone wants safe standing,i take someone who uses the disabled section so safe standing is obviously not something for him but he has voiced an opinion on the matter,

Fair point, only a small minority but those I know who can't stand for an entire game don't give a thought or have an opinion one way or the other on the standing option.
But agree it may help the atmosphere.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It would be brilliant if the North Stand was all-standing with German rails seats.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
The best thing about that article is the video on rail seats. It's getting harder for the authorities to sidestep the argument by pretending it's a return to terracing.

It's still a long way off but we're slowly moving in the right direction

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
You presume very wrong,

I do believe that the plan is for there to still be seated area in the grounds as opposed to them being 100% standing, therefore the groups you mentioned will still be catered for. Hope that sets your mind at rest.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Having previously been totally against this I have changed my view and it could probably work OK however it will never be like it was in the 80s which is what I believe people think will happen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here