Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
remember this?

seem to recall Brighton having a team one year

anyone remember who was in the side

Jul 7, 2003
This was the old Daily Express 5-a-side tournament held at Wembley Arena. The year after we lost in the final, my family thought we would go along and support the Albion. Mike Bailey put out a side to defend and we went out on penalties after a 0-0 draw with Newcastle I think:facepalm:

Was a great night out though and we saw the early appearance in an Arsenal shirt of Paul Davis and Chris Whyte amongst others.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
This was the old Daily Express 5-a-side tournament held at Wembley Arena. The year after we lost in the final, my family thought we would go along and support the Albion. Mike Bailey put out a side to defend and we went out on penalties after a 0-0 draw with Newcastle I think:facepalm:

Was a great night out though and we saw the early appearance in an Arsenal shirt of Paul Davis and Chris Whyte amongst others.

Mike Bailey was long gone in 1983/84.

We reached the final in 1979/80, beating Palace on the way but losing to Sunderland 2-0 in the final. A year later, we went out first round losing 1-0 to Man City in the first round. In 1981-82 we organised our own event in the Brighton Centre and Neil McNab was sent off for fighting with Alan Ball, I think.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I always remember this being quite fun to watch, the more skillful players had a chance to shine. If you were a silky passer it was much better than playing footy on a sand pit or mudbath.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
The Brighton centre match was an exhibition game during the annual Sussex County League 5 a side tournament. It got a bit lively. A few years ago one of the Southampton players had a book featured in the NOTW and they mentioned this game and that they were pissed and that they got out of order.their team had Alan Ball, Mick Channon, Charlie George and for some reason Kevin Keegan,was in goal. If I remember rightly the ref blew up early as it a was getting mental.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Remember going to the Brighton Centre one.

Herbie Smith, was the absolute star of the show. The crowd loved him. Who was he playing for? Littlehampton maybe? I was only about 12 at the time, and I could not understand how this guy wasn't playing for England, let alone how he wasn't even a pro.

I think he did time for armed robbery. That possibly didnt help.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The Brighton centre match was an exhibition game during the annual Sussex County League 5 a side tournament. It got a bit lively. A few years ago one of the Southampton players had a book featured in the NOTW and they mentioned this game and that they were pissed and that they got out of order.their team had Alan Ball, Mick Channon, Charlie George and for some reason Kevin Keegan,was in goal. If I remember rightly the ref blew up early as it a was getting mental.

Any idea which player it was?

I remember the Brighton Centre 5 a sides well. There would always be an exhibition match as a break before the final, one year the Albion played Brighton Tigers. If you watched Brighton Tigers Ice Hockey players every week as I did you were used to these great big brick shithouses zooming around the rink. When they played football, obviously without their padding, I didn't recognise any of them, they all looked like wimps!

But they played the ball off the boards brilliantly.

I think this was the game where Bill Cassidy took a free kick with his head. Now there's a player who would be very popular on NSC had it been around then.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
remember this?

seem to recall Brighton having a team one year

anyone remember who was in the side

Yes remember this well. Brighton actually getting to the final one year. Used to love it . I used to love sportsnight. It was a chance to see a midweek game On the TV,rare event back then. Also loved it for the boxing and In particular the ABA championships. Good thread G2,S1.

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
I used to LOVE the brighton centre tournament. I remember Herbie Smith. As well. A true hero at the time.

It's a shame the county league has become so fractured. It would been great to bring it back

CAPTAIN GREALISH

Jan 6, 2010
Mike Bailey was long gone in 1983/84.

We reached the final in 1979/80, beating Palace on the way but losing to Sunderland 2-0 in the final. A year later, we went out first round losing 1-0 to Man City in the first round. In 1981-82 we organised our own event in the Brighton Centre and Neil McNab was sent off for fighting with Alan Ball, I think.

didnt mullers play in this or is my mind playing tricks

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
didnt mullers play in this or is my mind playing tricks

I don't think I've ever heard of him playing in the final. It probably would have been mentioned if he did. He did, however, play in Peter O'Sullivan's testimonial at the end of the season.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Remember going to the Brighton Centre one.

Herbie Smith, was the absolute star of the show. The crowd loved him. Who was he playing for? Littlehampton maybe? I was only about 12 at the time, and I could not understand how this guy wasn't playing for England, let alone how he wasn't even a pro.

I think he did time for armed robbery. That possibly didnt help.

What an evocative story. Thank you! :clap:

What was he like as a player that so wowed the crowd?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here