Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Players to Managers.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Through the years we've had quite a few players who have remained in the game and gone on to become managers and assitants. Danny Wilson (Barnsley) has had a long career, Brian Horton has turned up at Doncaster, Ritchie Barker at Portsmouth, Nathan Jones at Yeovil and now here, Connor is helping out at Ipswich...I'm sure there are others as well.

The question is, do you think that any of the current players will manage in the future?

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Calde for sure. Could see Greer maybe going into coaching as well. Bruno strikes me as a potential as well but I'm not too sure why!

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I could see Greer, Calderon, Crofts and Upson all holding a managerial position at some point though, based on nothing but gut, I reckon only Greer would be successful, managing in Scotland.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Cue EVERYONE saying Calderon (and being right).

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Stephen Ward is an organiser and analyser of the game, I'd say he could be managerial material.

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
Depending on how his injuries pan out, maybe Hoskins too. I suspect many players who suffer from a run of such injuries have one eye on completing their coaching badges so they remain in the game.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Bruno is a great shout. He's got something about him. He's played to a high standard (which helps the CV), played in and can speak English......seems a bright bloke. Any other leftfield suggestions Ankergren maybe?

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Bruno is a great shout. He's got something about him. He's played to a high standard (which helps the CV), played in and can speak English......seems a bright bloke. Any other leftfield suggestions Ankergren maybe?

I also had Ankergren in mind for precisely the same reason as Bruno: I can picture him on the touchline. Possibly not the best way to judge future managerial credentials but there you go!

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Incidentally, just found this photo of Bruno during his time with Espanyol.......he still has hair!!

n_rcd_espanyol_historicos-2525483.jpg

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Ashley Barnes, and he would be rubbish because, let's face it, he's rubbish at everything.

Tongue firmly in cheek.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Cue EVERYONE saying Calderon (and being right).

Cue EVERYONE saying Calderon (and being wrong).

Calde just won't 'make it' as a manager, because there's one piece missing, and I'd say it's probably the most important.

Calde is not a b*****d.

At some point, these entitled, wealthy, confident, alphas, who have spent most of their lives being told how great they are, need to be told how it's going to be. Calde isn't going to be able to pull that off like Greer, for example.

If you could mold Greer and Calde into one person he would be the greatest manager ever, FACT.
As individuals or even as a double act, that just isn't going to work.

I'm liking the Crofts or Upson shout, again for no particular reason.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Cue EVERYONE saying Calderon (and being wrong).

Calde just won't 'make it' as a manager, because there's one piece missing, and I'd say it's probably the most important.

Calde is not a b*****d.

At some point, these entitled, wealthy, confident, alphas, who have spent most of their lives being told how great they are, need to be told how it's going to be. Calde isn't going to be able to pull that off like Greer, for example.

If you could mold Greer and Calde into one person he would be the greatest manager ever, FACT.
As individuals or even as a double act, that just isn't going to work.

I think you have a point, although I definitely see Calde staying in the game in some capacity. Perhaps as an assistant or some sort of scouting role.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012

Wahey! Someone who agrees with me!

I've been thinking about it since my original post and I'm now convinced that Crofts, workhorse that he is, is destined to be a perennial lower league manager. Not bad by any standard but unlikely to hit the heights, barring the Wales job. (Slade like?)

Upson I envision as a modern manager, preaching the beautiful game and encouraging a patient style. I see an Aidy Boothroyd career trajectory for him.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here