Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good luck Joe Gatting

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Just joined Hampshire

Hope he makes it there, always thought there was a halfway decent cricketer there. Messed around a bit by Sussex - in and out of the side, shifted up and down the batting order - perhaps he'll find a bit of stability

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
Just joined Hampshire

Hope he makes it there, always thought there was a halfway decent cricketer there. Messed around a bit by Sussex - in and out of the side, shifted up and down the batting order - perhaps he'll find a bit of stability

Be good if he gets a decent run in a side. Didn't get one with Brighton or with Sussex. A season playing every game and we may see the best of Joe Gatting.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I was speaking to a guy I play cricket with who used to play in the county premier league, where most of the teams have a Sussex player turning up when available. He said that, in terms of technique, Joe Gatting was the best player he ever came up against, obviously it was against a lower level of bowling but he could wilfully take teams apart. He's a very talented player who has just not had the consistency and games to prove his worth, good luck to him.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Perhaps playing at a lower level he'll get the bowling that will improve his confidence. He showed that on occasion he could be a proficient county batsman.

Good luck Joe.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Probably because he isn't quite good enough.

Ah, yes, that could be the problem.

I hope he does well but he really needs to prove he can bat or it's get a job in the City time.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Watching him, technically he is sound. However I suspect he does not possess the mental toughness needed. Would explain his struggles trying to make it in 2 forms of professional sport.

Yeah, I remember chatting to someone with links to the Sussex coaching staff a few years back and Gatting was rated as the most promising young batsman they had. He always looks good so I'm sure that his problems have been in his head - hope he can make a go of it elsewhere

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Good luck to him, I really thought he'd turn into really good limited overs batsmen.

I can see why we let him go, but I kind of wish we'd kept him and told RHB to sod off

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Sussex have Matt Machan and Luke Wells coming through both of whom are more talented and (at least) in Luke Wells's case, technically better players. Hope he does well at Hampshire.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
All the best Joe G.

In his 20s and has already done 2 things that I would LOVE to do ....... but I'm 42 and was always crap at sport.

on the flip side, I haven't half had some fun :)

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Watching him, technically he is sound. However I suspect he does not possess the mental toughness needed. Would explain his struggles trying to make it in 2 forms of professional sport.

Have to agree. Really was willing him to do well for both football and cricket club, and he has had the chances. Just hasn't done it anywhere near consistently enough. Wish Joe all the best at Hampshire though.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
I was speaking to a guy I play cricket with who used to play in the county premier league, where most of the teams have a Sussex player turning up when available. He said that, in terms of technique, Joe Gatting was the best player he ever came up against, obviously it was against a lower level of bowling but he could wilfully take teams apart. He's a very talented player who has just not had the consistency and games to prove his worth, good luck to him.

I've played against him a few times, because he plays for Preston Nomads. He has a attitude and a personality problem. Plus I remember when we played a Sunday game away at Nomads ground. Steve Gatting, Ollie Gatting and him were playing in it. Our Australian Overseas at the time, bowled him first ball. Which before he even arrived at the crease incidentally said to his dad and brother, watch me hit him all over the park.

Yes we did give him a nice satisfactory and deserved wave goodbye to the Pavilion. :lolol: :lolol:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Good luck Joe, unbelievable to have played for the Albion and Sussex but hope this works out for him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here