Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stay Another Day

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Me and my mate Raul were having a discussion about the best Christmas songs in the Dog and Duck last night. Raul mentioned Stay Another Day as a classic, for me it's not a Christmas song though and it ended up in quite a heated exchange.

So for you is Stay Another Day classed as a Christmas song or not? #confused

???

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Toughie. Like saying whether Die Hard is a Christmas film or not.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It was dressed up as a christmas song by the record company..who asked for bells to be put on it and a Xmassy video shot. So, whilst not originally a Xmas song when it was penned (it was about Tony Mortimer's brother's suicide), when it was in its final recorded version and released it was fully intended to be an Xmas tune.

Jimmy Grimble

Me and my mate Raul were having a discussion about the best Christmas songs in the Dog and Duck last night. Raul mentioned Stay Another Day as a classic, for me it's not a Christmas song though and it ended up in quite a heated exchange.

???

:lolol: It's the names that always get me.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It was dressed up as a christmas song by the record company..who asked for bells to be put on it and a Xmassy video shot. So, whilst not originally a Xmas song when it was penned (it was about Tony Mortimer's brother's suicide), when it was in its final recorded version and released it was fully intended to be an Xmas tune.

" Kinda like a life starting all over again re-birth sort of thing then Smashie ? "

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Chvrches did a pretty good cover of stay another day for the live lounge. Worth checking out on you tube.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

???

Straightforward answer to a straight question - no it's not.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

???

Not really

It's probably played at Christmas by radio stations, etc. because it reached number 1 at Christmas but would they play the Rage against the machine's Christmas number 1 too? - both are songs that could have been released at any time during the year.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I think it indirectly qualifies and that's a gauge i often use for Christmas songs. The Christmas chart (back in the day) was the only time i would listen to the top 40, so I associate loads of songs with Christmas, that in truth dont deserve to be.

Eg.
Lisa Stansfield - All Around the World
Michael Jackson - Earth Song
Blur - The Universal

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Not really

It's probably played at Christmas by radio stations, etc. because it reached number 1 at Christmas but would they play the Rage against the machine's Christmas number 1 too? - both are songs that could have been released at any time during the year.

Assuming you haven't seen the video? It's very Christmas/Winter-themed.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Yes, yes it is. It doesn't matter that it didn't start out a Christmas song, it's now widely regarded as one of the Christmas pop song and is one of the staple tunes on countless Christmas compilation albums. Why? Because people now associate it with Christmas. I don't think anyone would argue that Jingle Bells isn't a Christmas song yet that started out a US Thanksgiving tune.

And it's a might fine Christmas song too.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
The lyrics don't relate to Christmas so I don't see how it can? A bit like Frankie Goes to Hollywood and Power of Love... it has the nativity as the video but how does it relate to Christmas, it's a love song

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The song was released around christmas and it seems quite strongly linked with that time of the year for many, including me. That it evokes that christmas feeling (even though it doesn't speak of christmas) makes me say yes. (Same applies to 2 Become 1 by the Spice Girls - though Earth Song by Michael Jackson doesn't evoke christmas feelings for me, even though it was a christmas number 1, so isn't a christmas song for me)

This is the stay another day video I am most familiar with:

Turns out there's another:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Its not a xmas song.

It was actually writtten by Tony Mortimer of East 17 about his brother I think who commited suicide.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
[video]http://thehell.bandcamp.com/album/stay-another-day[/video]

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
I could never understand why it's always on all the Christmas compilation cd's when it's not a Christmas song, same as Power of Love by Frankie. I remember back in the summer giving my mate a lift and I was playing 'Welcome to the pleasure dome' in my car and 'the power of love' happened to be playing when he got in the car, and he asked me why I was playing it as it was still 6 months til Christmas! duh!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here