Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who is fastest, Greer or El-Abd?

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Brian Tawes's comment in the Argus

"Adam is 4 years younger and provides the yard of pace that seems missing on occasion"

Didn't think we had anyone as slow as Adam.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Neither are lightening quick, but in a straight race I'd back El-Abd over Greer all day long.

Jimmy Grimble

Don't think there is a lot in it, but I'd say El-Abd is probably slightly quicker over shorter distances.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Virgil Van Dyck would have been amazing at this level. Sadly he decided to start a level lower, BUT got to play is the Champions League for a few games.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
It is the weakest area of the our centre backs, but luckily there's only a couple of players/teams in this league that are really capable of exploiting it. Vydra last season was the last time I really remember the lack of pace costly us dearly

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
It is the weakest area of the our centre backs, but luckily there's only a couple of players/teams in this league that are really capable of exploiting it. Vydra last season was the last time I really remember the lack of pace costly us dearly

I think Upson is so good at reading the game it negates his lack of pace somewhat. This also has a positive effect on his defensive partner.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
El-Abd is MILES faster than GG. And El-Abd is pretty slow. GG is chronic.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It's like comparing a snail with a tortoise but I would say El Abd is marginally quicker.

Our whole backline needs a refresh with some young faster blood in it. We would get completely destroyed in the premiership with our current pairing options in the middle.

Jimmy Grimble

It's like comparing a snail with a tortoise but I would say El Abd is marginally quicker.

Our whole backline needs a refresh with some young faster blood in it. We would get completely destroyed in the premiership with our current pairing options in the middle.

If we were to get promoted, then yes. But in the Championship Greer, El Abd and Upson continue to prove they are good enough. Our defensive record is testament to this. We are fine with what we've got until the end of the season, and perhaps one season beyond if still in the Championship with one of those three partnered by a younger, quicker player. So not the whole backline.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
GG is fastest at getting rid of the ball, you would think it was going to explode he passes back or across so quickly

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
El-Abd is more mobile, not necessarily a great deal faster but sometimes Greer is very slow on the turn.

Glacial Greer is gordon on the turn. As much as we debated whether that Watford effort crawled over the line or not, the most significant thing was that it took Greer so long to adjust to the situation. It was like watching in slow motion, and I sit directly in line with the goalline.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
If we were to get promoted, then yes. But in the Championship Greer, El Abd and Upson continue to prove they are good enough. Our defensive record is testament to this. We are fine with what we've got until the end of the season, and perhaps one season beyond if still in the Championship with one of those three partnered by a younger, quicker player. So not the whole backline.

Agree with Seagully: Upson's reading of the game is excellent
Agree with Giraffe: we're chronically slow at the back, and will need to do something about it. I'm sure Oscar knows this.
Agree with JG: doing something about our backline will be crucial if we get promoted. In fact, rather than buying ten or twelve players like Palace did, and far rather we blew out on two quality defenders (a bit like Mackay did at Cardiff -- oh, look where that got him), definitely a CB to replace Greer and, depending on what goes on with Ward, a full-back. Beyond that, Oscar can pluck out the next Deulofeu from Barcelona's youth team on a year's loan. Think that will be enough to keep us up ... that's if we get there.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester

I have tortoises and they really aren't as slow as everyone thinks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here