Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How Stupid Are The City Council? Warning, Mention of Gollywogs.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Answer - Very stupid. If the word was used in an offensive way it is very wrong, but not in this context.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Diversity training!!!

Sounds very Orwellian

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It's a witch hunt co-ordinated by a couple of council officers who Cllr Barnett has upset in the past. Complete waste of time and money ( OUR MONEY !!!!!!!!! ).

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I always liked Golliwogs and have never considered them even vaguely racist, but then the world went mad around the time it was decided that Bigs Ears could no longer get into bed with Noddy :rolleyes:

I particularly liked the Robinson's Golliwog tail fin on their company jet which I saw a few times.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Who didn't have one as a kid? It doesn't mean to say they're a good thing. The name itself lost the golly part in the UK and was used as slang and the Councillor is an idiot defending it.
A conservative you say? Well I never.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
If Golliwog is banned,what about Chinese dolls with slanted eyes,or Cindy does it suggest she is a white supremist,or Action man being called a Honky..Cabbage Patch Kids...that's very racist against cabbages.
Really what planet are these people on, my two toys as a three year old during the WW2...were a Panda and a Golliwog...it taught me that people are different outside their skin...I never knew there was a black race till I saw some American soldiers...and it wasn't a shock at all.
Those councillors must have skin like tissue paper jumping on the racist theory of a doll...grow some you weak pandering idiots and take your 'Look at me,standing up for other peoples rights because it's deemed the correct thing to do' elsewhere.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Found not guilty of 'breaching the equality act'.

What act is this? UK law? If so, then why was Ms Barnett not facing a criminal charge? Hardly up to a local government commitee to enforce UK law as far as I am aware.

Otherwise it must be a BHCC act, if so, it is a load of PC bo**ocks. An 'act' dreamed up by someone in a role that needs to be justified to others.

To be honest, all local government has become a gravy train for the those higher up the scale, just wish I had the sense to have joined it 20 years ago.

Jimmy Grimble

D

Deleted member 22389

If Golliwog is banned,what about Chinese dolls with slanted eyes,or Cindy does it suggest she is a white supremist,or Action man being called a Honky..Cabbage Patch Kids...that's very racist against cabbages.
Really what planet are these people on, my two toys as a three year old during the WW2...were a Panda and a Golliwog...it taught me that people are different outside their skin...I never knew there was a black race till I saw some American soldiers...and it wasn't a shock at all.
Those councillors must have skin like tissue paper jumping on the racist theory of a doll...grow some you weak pandering idiots and take your 'Look at me,standing up for other peoples rights because it's deemed the correct thing to do' elsewhere.

Tell you what I am deeply offended on behalf of my mum at the way the puppets in the Dolmio stereotype Italians.
Going to make a complaint, hopefully the marketing company will have to take diversity training too. Not on, deeply deeply offended.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I upset people on here by starting a thread about golliwogs a while back. As another poster says, if golliwogs are not OK, then what about chinese dolls etc, etc. Maybe all depictions of people should show a green skin colour so we can be sure no one ethnic group will be upset .... oh, but then we'd have complaints from the Martians.

And Diversity Training??? Who exactly is paying for this?? I would LOVE to sit in on one of these sessions. PLEASE.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Tell you what I am deeply offended on behalf of my mum at the way the puppets in the Dolmio stereotype Italians.
Going to make a complaint, hopefully the marketing company will have to take diversity training too. Not on, deeply deeply offended.

Ah,but is your Mum deeply offended...

D

Deleted member 22389

Ah,but is your Mum deeply offended...

She is not offended in the slightest. It's always the silly fools who get offended for everybody else.

We had a good friend in Luton who was from Cameroon. One afternoon we had a good chat about offending people, political correctness, extremists.
Our friend was just amazed at how politically correct the UK had become and said it was pathetic.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
She is not offended in the slightest. It's always the silly fools who get offended for everybody else.

We had a good friend in Luton who was from Cameroon. One afternoon we had a good chat about offending people, political correctness, extremists.
Our friend was just amazed at how politically correct the UK had become and said it was pathetic.

I have had the same conversation with friends who are gay, and we came to the same conclusion.

When I mentioned it on NSC I was told that I must be lying!;shrug;

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Can I have diversity training? I keep posting the same old crap and people still think that I'm serious.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Who didn't have one as a kid? It doesn't mean to say they're a good thing. The name itself lost the golly part in the UK and was used as slang and the Councillor is an idiot defending it.
A conservative you say? Well I never.

Labour Shadow Cabinet Minister Jack Dromey referred to someone as a 'pikey' last week. http://news.sky.com/story/1182006/pr-blunder-over-labour-mps-pikey-tweet He claims it was auto-correct that got it wrong. Chinny reckon.

Lib-Dem councillor in Bristol refers to an Asian as a 'coconut'. http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2010/jun/28/councillor-court-coconut-jibe-bristol

Labour councillor uses the phrase "n*****r in the woodpile". http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news...ee-councillor-bill-jeffrey-apologises-4700420

I think it's less to do with party politics in the case of the Labour councillor and the Tory from Brighton and more to do with the generation that they belong to. Dromey's not even got the courage to admit that he meant to use the word pikey, the coward. There's no excuse for the Lib-Dem comments. Interesting to note that the Asian is a Conservative councillor. A Conservative you say? Well I never.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Labour Shadow Cabinet Minister Jack Dromey referred to someone as a 'pikey' last week. http://news.sky.com/story/1182006/pr-blunder-over-labour-mps-pikey-tweet He claims it was auto-correct that got it wrong. Chinny reckon.

Lib-Dem councillor in Bristol refers to an Asian as a 'coconut'. http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2010/jun/28/councillor-court-coconut-jibe-bristol

Labour councillor uses the phrase "n*****r in the woodpile". http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news...ee-councillor-bill-jeffrey-apologises-4700420

I think it's less to do with party politics (in the case of the Labour councillors) and more to do with the generation that these and the Tory from Brighton belong to. There's no excuse for the Lib-Dem comments. Interesting to note that the Asian is a Conservative Councillor. A Conservative you say? Well I never.

It would seem to me to be quite an odd thing to call someone a coconut, whatever the context. Does that mean the old popular saying "... my old fruit" would now also be verboten ?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here