Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Moving to NEWHAVEN

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Hi All,

I know this has been covered on here before... But it seems that it has got the point that, house-price-wise, the only place within 15 miles of Brighton that young first time buyers can now reasonably afford to buy is Newhaven. We are now considering it seriously.

It will be a shock to the system, having lived in Brighton for 10 years, but what do those who live there now think of it? I know that @Muhammed 'im hard' Bruce Lee is delighted with the KFC there, and I am a big fan of the Colonel! I just keep dwelling on, and getting angry about the high house prices in Brighton caused by property "investors"...

All thoughts appreciated!

Last edited:

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Hi All,

I know this has been covered on here before... But it seems that it has got the point that, house-price-wise, the only place within 15 miles of Brighton that young first time buyers can now reasonably afford to buy is Newhaven. We are now considering it seriously.

It will be a shock to the system, having lived in Brighton for 10 years, but what do those who live there now think of it? I know that @Muhammed 'im hard' Bruce Lee is delighted with the KFC there, and I am a big fan of the Colonel! I just keep dwelling on, and getting angry about the high house prices in Brighton caused by property "investors"...[/QUOTE]

I don't blame you for getting angry, but I would not put all the blame on Investors, in my opinion estate agents have a lot to answer for, they want to get the highest price so they get more in commission / fees, which is understandable I suppose, as the world we live in, everyone wants "Top Dollar" for pretty much everything. If nothing else my comments will start off a healthy debate, starting with all estate agents on here :lol:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I shall watch this thread with interest. My girlfriend and I are in a very similar position.

Well if lots of us move there, it will improve, that's for sure! We went to have a look at some places two weeks ago and had a walk around and I have to admit it wasn't as bad as I thought. We went to a cafe and had a decent lunch and it cost about a 3rd as much as it would have in Brighton. As/if more young professionals move there the number of restaurants and things there will no doubt increase.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Good luck with the house hunting. I've lived in some of the worst postcode areas in the country and believe you me Newhaven would seem wonderful in comparison. Try to ignore some of the inevitable snobbish answers you'll get....

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
What is MAX amount you wish to pay & requirements? Then we can all suggest options you may not have considered....

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Make sure you walk around the town centre before you decide.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Make sure you walk around the town centre before you decide.

You have got the choice of Lewes or Seaford for local shopping, both within minutes of Newhaven and equidistant bigger shopping in Brighton or Eastbourne.
I like Newhaven. I have wonderful views of the downs and I'm a few minutes away from the sea. I can't afford to live anywhere else but have lived in a lot worse places.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
House prices are ridiculous, Brighton is feeling the same pinch as lots of desirable areas. While on hols in Cornwall this year we visited a picturesque sea side village with obligatory quaint harbour. On wandering around we noticed that nearly every house and cottage of all sizes was available to let as a holiday home. The few remaining " locals " could not afford to live in the village and as such, it was a ghost town over winter. Incredibly sad that the locals can't compete with the people from the cities with huge wads of cash to blow on a house as an investment.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Well if lots of us move there, it will improve, that's for sure! We went to have a look at some places two weeks ago and had a walk around and I have to admit it wasn't as bad as I thought. We went to a cafe and had a decent lunch and it cost about a 3rd as much as it would have in Brighton. As/if more young professionals move there the number of restaurants and things there will no doubt increase.

My way of thinking says that the more demand there is for anything will make the item (in this case property) rise, very quickly I would have thought?

Edit: Sorry I may well have misread your post :thumbsup:

Buck

Through & Through
Feb 18, 2009
Not Lewes Any More
I grew up in Denton and recently moved back there after living in Barcombe for 9 years. In my opinion Newhaven has an unfair reputation. Obviously I have many friends and family in the area, but it is a pretty friendly town with lots of positives. Biggest problem is the way the town centre has been allowed to die over the years, ever since the ring road was built there has been a slow, terminal decline. I'm not sure how that can ever be changed. But you're close to Seaford, Lewes and Brighton for plenty of shopping and restaurants.
On a prime bus route, mainline station and good road links either coast or A27.
Biggest plus; easy to get to the Amex and back and you can drink pre and post match in the Railway Club, a minute walk from the station, cheap beer, Sky Sports and always full of Albion supporters. Oh, and you'll get to meet Muhammed I'm Hard Bruce Lee and a few other regular posters in there!

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Could have bought a 4 bed house in Newhaven for less than we paid for a 2 bed flat in Lewes. Was 12 years ago mind so I have no idea how prices compare now.

The area around Valley Drive doesn't look bad. I was there last week on a job and the thought of looking into house prices for that area crossed my mind.

I'd be interested in this thread too.

If you live in that area, maybe you could give us a clue about property values for the area please?

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patreon
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Obviously I live in Seaford which is where many from Newhaven come for shopping but Newhaven is not as bad as is suggested. OK the town centre is not great but there is far worse. There are some good properties in Newhaven and in my humble opinion the people who live there are very friendly and community spirited. Plus you have choice of Brighton, Lewes, Seaford or Eastbourne for a larger town experience. Makes a change from Brighton & Hove being your mainstay.
Only you can decide but do not believe all the negative stuff.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Could have bought a 4 bed house in Newhaven for less than we paid for a 2 bed flat in Lewes. Was 12 years ago mind so I have no idea how prices compare now.

The area around Valley Drive doesn't look bad. I was there last week on a job and the thought of looking into house prices for that area crossed my mind.

I'd be interested in this thread too.

If you live in that area, maybe you could give us a clue about property values for the area please?

3 bedroom end terrace house £175K. 3 bed semi detached approx £190K. Check out Lampons or Phillip Mann.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Hi All,

It will be a shock to the system, having lived in Brighton for 10 years, but what do those who live there now think of it? I know that @Muhammed 'im hard' Bruce Lee is delighted with the KFC there, and I am a big fan of the Colonel! I just keep dwelling on, and getting angry about the high house prices in Brighton caused by property "investors"...

All thoughts appreciated!

The way property prices are rising it wont be too long before Newhaven joins the "unaffordable" list. I have been keeping an eye on what is available and in the last 3 months Peacehaven has now become outside my price bracket because house prices up north are falling way behind month after month.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here