Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When was the last time an Albion home game was abandoned due to the weather/pitch?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Just reading the Argus report of the Crawley FA Cup game that was abandoned last night. I'm trying to think of a home game we've lost mid-match due to weather conditions (as opposed to the York City pitch protest).

Anyone know? What about away games?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
It snowed the last season at Withdean and a Friday night game was cancelled in December. Cant remember who it was against but it was last minute decision and we were already in the sportsman!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It snowed the last season at Withdean and a Friday night game was cancelled in December. Cant remember who it was against but it was last minute decision and we were already in the sportsman!

There was a Friday night game against Gillingham cancelled very very late.....

.....but not late enough for us to have moved from the pubs around North Laine. :)

At Falmer we'd have been in the train queue at least. But then it would have been Saturday. And not called off. Great innit?

It was Notts County. It was clear to all that it would have to be called off, but we gave County the courtesy of allowing their team and fans to arrive and cancel it 50 mins out

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Notts County I think. It was my birthday and we'd been in the pub in town for ages. Which then continued to nobody's great disappointment.

I know there have been plenty of very late postponements. But I can't think of a single abandonment other than the York game (the "riot", as ITV Sport lazily labelled it).

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Can't think of a single one that's been abandoned due to weather after starting in nearly 40 years of going! I've been pretty lucky with postponements as well. Furthest I've got travelling to a game that was called off was the A23/A27 roundabout on Boxing Day a few years ago en route to Daggenham and Redbridge.

Last edited:

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
When was the last time an Albion home game was abandoned due to the weather/p...

I seem to remember Norwich away in the FA Cup being called off late, but don't remember any weather related abandonments either home or away.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
No suggestions yet.

Must make us fairly unusual, as I'd have thought many clubs would have lost the odd game. Crawley and Pompey have both had games called off this season, also Sheffield Wednesday's game with Wigan last night, and I think a Charlton home match v Doncaster (?) a couple of months ago.

Coach_Carter_92

Apr 25, 2013
Home
I seem to remember a few games at the Withdean that should have been called off, especially with fog? Vaguely remember not being able to see much of the north stand or the away fans on a few occasions...

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Can't think of one, I think we've been pretty lucky in that aspect

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Likewise I can't recall an Albion game being abandoned once started. I can recall a couple of evening games at the Goldstone when it was foggy and you could barely see the halfway line, including one (against Pompey, I think) but got concluded ok. Also one of the first games of the season in about '77 against Millwall when there was a cloudburst just before the ko which left huge puddles across the pitch, we went 0-2 down but fortunately the Ref carried on and we staged a barnstorming 2nd half comeback to win 3-2.

However it was only a year ago this week that the original away game at Blackburn was called off about an hour or two before kick off,

We had just parked close to Ewood Park and were walking into the ground when it was announced, yet the downpour that caused the pitch to be unplayable happened hours earlier. The delay in broadcasting the news was inexcusable, a really incompetent lack of communication, especially for a so called Premiership level Club as they liked to tell everyone. Yeah, right.

Yet the matches at just down the road Wigan and Accrington Stanley went ahead ok and we had the unexpected pleasure of supporting our good friends from PAFC's Green Army.

I have only been to Blackburn twice in my life and won't lose any sleep if there isn't another.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I seem to remember a few games at the Withdean that should have been called off, especially with fog? Vaguely remember not being able to see much of the north stand or the away fans on a few occasions...

There was a Withdean home game against Leicester when they scored at the opposite end to whichever one their fans were in at the time, and I've never heard such a delay between the ball hitting the net and the supporters cheering. Was kind of funny, at least as funny as it can be when your opponent scores.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I remember a game being called of due to snow in our last season at the Withdean. It was the game before Christmas. I was driving down from Reading and my tyre blew on the M4, the spare wheel was a small one so was not suitable to drive all the way to Brighton. So drove home, parked the car and got the train down. So I left Reading at 9am and got to my Mum's about 17:30. Walk up to get the bus to go the Match and they said it's just been announced that it was called off. Not a good day.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Probably stretching the point of the question - I remember seeing a SSC game between Crawley and The Albion abandoned after about 15 minutes into the second half. The pitch was dodgy to start with and as the temperature plummeted, the Broadfield pitch glistened with frost.

As it had been a naff game and everyone was freezing, nobody was really bothered too much. We were all put out of our misery when the ref abandoned the game.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I got to Spotland once and the game had been called off hours earlier, listening to music on the way up!! Had Fish & Chips opposite then came back.......

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
There was a game at the Goldstone in the 70s when it snowed. British rail staff put up signs at Hove station to say that the game was off. The game wS played but only about 3000 people attended. Anyone remember that game?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here