Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Daily Express 17 November 2013: Britain facing 100 days of heavy snow - What are they ON?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Has the Daily Express lost all credibility with their apparently groundless obsession with phantom extreme UK weather?

The Express has been telling us on a daily basis that we're going to get the worst snowfall since 1947, but here we are on the brink of the Winter Equinox and I've just put my blind down because the sun is blazing into my eyes. I've scraped the car on about 3 occasions so far this Autumn and this is about the mildest end to the year I can ever remember.

Ironically, here in Steyning a new shop opened up this week selling beach hut accessories.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Don't jinx it mind :s , apparently snow showers expected up north Today.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Expect a blizzard of Diana stories to cover their ineptitude.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
<quote> "And the latest long-range predictions for this winter show a pattern that look eerily similar to that infamous year, with bitter Arctic gales leading to feet-deep snow drifts right up until February.

Jonathan Powell, forecaster for Vantage Weather Services, said: “Early indications are that this winter is looking particularly severe, and we could see parallels with the shocking winter of 1947."

100 days of snow to the end of February, so today must be Day 29. Pass me my sunglasses...

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
express2.jpg

dewsburyborn

Dec 17, 2013
Don't jinx it mind :s , apparently snow showers expected up north Today.

How north is 'up north', I wonder ?

Here in Wakefield, it's a bit cold - but the sky is blue and the sun is shining ........ if it stays like this till the end of February, job done.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Anyone who buys and believes what they print in the Daily Express should just be shot.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I believe today's Express front page concentrates on the impending KILLER STORMS that are set to BATTER BRITAIN over Christmas, causing MISERY to THOUSANDS.

They confidently predict a fortnight of non stop gales and heavy rain, which came as something of a surprise to me as I stepped outside at work this morning in bright sunshine and wearing short sleeves.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/44...as-storms-Weather-will-be-wild-until-New-Year

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
NSC Weather Oracle, Papa Lazarou will back that up, @johnhammond.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Jonathan Powell is (in my opinion) a complete charlatan.

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
The weather has been so arctic here in the frozen North that last Thursday when I came out of my game of five-a-sides at 10.15pm the temperature in my car was 13 degrees Celsius. Warmest December day on record in Scotland apparently. Cold today, mind.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

My point was more to do with at what point does the Daily Express lose all credibility as a newspaper, and less about the fact their weather reporting is incorrect?

If I was, say, their senior Current Affair Editor I'd be very concerned that perfectly good news stories were being kept off the front page by bogus weather stories. If they keep reporting shite then surely the credibility of other content will be called into question? Although the Express isn't my personal choice of newspaper I never thought their front pages would be less credible than the Daily Sport, but it's pretty much come to that now.

johnhammond

Neither John, nor Hammond
Jan 17, 2008
Utrecht
Jonathan Powell is (in my opinion) a complete charlatan.

Sounds like a pretty accurate description I think (unlike his forecasts). Saying that however, I was talking about this at work a while ago (a building full of weathermen) and people did see the appeal of the easy moneymaking scheme over the hard slog of doing actual research/forecasting.

As for the Express, all of their stories are always written by the same guy (Nathan Rao) - which seems to be all he does. Given that each one is essentially the same, that's a pretty good job to have if accuracy isn't needed.

Despite all that, the rest of the year (apart from tomorrow) does look very stormy (although it is winter, so it's hardly a surprise).

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Nathan Rao and his weather stories inspired by Johnathan Powell's made up forecasts are just a daily recurring event in the Express these days, you ought to read some of the damning comments on the online express versions. I can't help but think johnathan Powell isn't actually a real person but someone who works at the express who is coining it in syndicating his blatantly false weather reports to his own paper! It is no exaggeration that the express runs these apocalyptic weather headlines on an almost daily basis, they've been predicting monster wintry storms for about 6-7 weeks now and quite frankly it's all been fairly normal and average, a bit wet and windy here and there, a few flurries of snow around but generally just normal bog standard wintry weather, funny that it being winter and all.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here