Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Weather up to New Year

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I know it's a bit indulgent to start a new thread for this, but I think it's warranted, so please indulge me.

The weather outlook fro now until the New Year looks decidedly dodgy, with a train of low pressure systems set to cross the UK.

We're stuck under a very vigorous jet stream, driven by a strong Polar Vortex and steep temperature gradient over the US eastern seaboard.

The relevance of this is because, as we've seen tonight (with a couple of games abandoned) and as we have a busy schedule of matches coming up, there's a real chance that either travel to matches or the matches themselves may be disrupted.

Boxing Day, for example, could be a very windy and wet day for England, with a large deep low established over or to the north of Scotland, with fast moving secondary lows running round its southern flank. These can develop very tight pressure gradients and storm force winds.

As everything Will be moving rapidly timing will be hard to tie down, but with a low every 36-48 hours we can be sure it's going to be unsettled, windy and wet a lot of the time.

Merry Christmas

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am not too concerned about the wet but am worried about exceptionally high winds as these cause problems with my greenhouse. Are the winds expected too be high in force.

I cant dig the allotment in the rain but can wait until it stops but fixing the greenhouse presents more problems.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Have you broken the almost certain non-arrival of a white Christmas to US yet ?... be gentle, he has gone LARGE on a white as usual.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
There is still a glimmer of a chance of snow in the North & North West on Christmas day, as we may get a brief North Westerly flow that is cold enough under Polar Maritime air.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Here the wind will be the chief worry. Further West there's going to be lots of rain.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I know it's a bit indulgent to start a new thread for this, but I think it's warranted, so please indulge me.

The weather outlook fro now until the New Year looks decidedly dodgy, with a train of low pressure systems set to cross the UK.

We're stuck under a very vigorous jet stream, driven by a strong Polar Vortex and steep temperature gradient over the US eastern seaboard.

The relevance of this is because, as we've seen tonight (with a couple of games abandoned) and as we have a busy schedule of matches coming up, there's a real chance that either travel to matches or the matches themselves may be disrupted.

Boxing Day, for example, could be a very windy and wet day for England, with a large deep low established over or to the north of Scotland, with fast moving secondary lows running round its southern flank. These can develop very tight pressure gradients and storm force winds.

As everything Will be moving rapidly timing will be hard to tie down, but with a low every 36-48 hours we can be sure it's going to be unsettled, windy and wet a lot of the time.

Merry Christmas

You are Lucy the Weather girl and I claim my £5 :)

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I am not too concerned about the wet but am worried about exceptionally high winds as these cause problems with my greenhouse. Are the winds expected too be high in force.

I cant dig the allotment in the rain but can wait until it stops but fixing the greenhouse presents more problems.

Good job if your bloody greenhouse did get destroyed it's your fault for all this weather anyway, with all your gases damaging our land. Put your slippers on grandad and stay indoors.,

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
There is still a glimmer of a chance of snow in the North & North West on Christmas day, as we may get a brief North Westerly flow that is cold enough under Polar Maritime air.

Most of Uncle Spielbergs life revolves around glimmers of a chance. He'll be happy with that.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I am hoping to and getting son, who you helped with his accident, to do the hard work.

Sueing Piltdown Man is the only answer. He shouldn't be allowed to get away with it.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Looks pretty miserable off and on then for a bit... still only 3 days till the days start lengthening again !... time to plant them chillies !

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Weather for Saturday's game looks a bit grim: 34-mile-an-hour winds and rain. Weather for Charlton game looks a bit better: 14-mile-an-hour winds and rain. So says the BBC forecasts for Brighton and London respectively. Apologies if this does not affect BG's gardening.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here