Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Solar Panels

Aug 21, 2011
Just wondering if any of you have any experiance of getting these installed, good or bad and whether you have seen a difference to your outgoings. I am thinking of investigating getting these to try and save a bit on my bills. I have heard that some companies will install for free if you give them back the feed in tariff, again is this a good thing?. Also any suggested companies. I know nothing about these so thought I would first tap into the vastknowledge and experiance of my fellow NSCers.

Had these installed 13 months ago. I missed the big 40p + subsidy but am getting one around 20p. I paid £5500 for my panels which is about half what I had been quoted 18 months earlier (when I would have got more FIT) so my payback is sooner.

I have now had 4 FIT payments and my total for the year is £640 - this includes the small payment for what you supposedly export back.

At the same time my electricity consumption has fallen by 42%. I have an office at home so maybe save a bit more here as using daytime free sun sparks instead of being at work. I am also concious to put things on like dishwasher and washing machine during the day. I am a bit anal in that both would not be on at the same time as unless a sunny summers day, there would be be enough for both.

For a 5 bed house our dual fuel bill is now £72pm down from £130pm, so £58pm saving here. So in year one, I have saved £1336 which means my payback will be just over 4 years, which I am delighted about, especially as this saving will accelerate as my FIT and export payments are index linked and surely the price of leccy is only going to go in one direction.

Hope this helps.

Edit: I should add that I have the perfect angle roof and the fact I spend a lot of time at home during the day helps me maximise the free stuff. I absolutely thrashed the predictions I had from the installers.

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
Try looking up Southern Solar in Lewes. They will explain all the pros and cons honestly (at least they did to me 3 years ago). They were the only Solar company recommended by Which? a couple of years ago. I have the PV (electriicty) panels and I use about 25% less electricity now. Whether it is worth getting or not depends on what the Feed in Tarriff payments are like these day compared to the installation costs (both are much lower now than they were 3 years ago).

I wouldn't bother with the Water heating panels as they cost far more than you are ever likely to get back in savings, but Southern Solar can explain this.

I had a couple of of other companies quote for mine, but they were akin to Double Glazing salemen, overcharging and not explaining anything properly.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Just my opinion, but I always think they look horrendous on houses. I don't really see why they can't make them to look more like roof tiles.

never understoods strong dislike of solar, to me they dont look much different to velux windows. might not be inkeeping or not suit some houses but otherwise indifferent. you cant have them look like tiles because tiles are generally not flat, and shades of red or brown. tiles dont collect a lot of sun either. they make alot of sence and i cant understand why the last or this government havent been bold and made them compulsory on new builds.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Just my opinion, but I always think they look horrendous on houses. I don't really see why they can't make them to look more like roof tiles.

On old buildngs - sometimes, but on new builds, where they're an integral part of the building project, I think they're fine.

solar-panel-houses.jpg

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Solar panels will be the stone cladding of the next generation.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Had ours since Oct 2011 and have earned £3.5k as we got in just before the tariff dropped and that is on a South West facing roof. Had we been directly south then it would have generated even more. Electricity useage is down as well by 20% so total saving over the period is just over £4k.

As for aesthetics, do they look any worse than a menagerie of satellite dishes and aerials over the roof lines?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Isn't there talk of the feed in tariff dropping down to 12p ? Those who are on 43p and 20p wont be affected but anyone who doesn't have accreditation or installation by a cut off date will only get the 12p tariff because the price of the panels has dropped substantially.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Solar panels will be the stone cladding of the next generation.

or, they might be very desirable when the leccy bill is a few £'000 a year.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
These guys work with AITC, and are independent of any one single panel manufacturer. They are approved suppliers of SunPower panels which are arguably the best panels on the market in terms of performance. As with anything, not all panels are the same, and some are poorly manufactured.

http://www.southdownssolar.co.uk/

pipkin112

Aug 10, 2011
sompting
Serious question, if you have solar panels fitted, and a little while later you need a new roof, do the panels need completely refitting?

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
We had them fitted just before the feed in tariff was dropped can not rate them highly enough we have written off the installation cost and instead view them as future proofing to some degree our energy costs so far we are on year three and currently we are energy natural the income pays for our electricity and gas usage.
in addition we are actively working towards reducing our consumption with insulation aaa rated equipment very low energy lighting heating timed and zoned controls which has in the last three years reduced electricity use age by 40% and our gas by 20% having just moved onto monthly billing with real time accounting we intend driving this down still further

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here