Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What has been the greatest moment of your life?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Reaching John O'Groats last year, after cycling from Land's End, 978 miles in ten days. I'd always wanted to do it, and it was emotional. Still sends shivers up my spine as I think about it now.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Tough one, but probably the day they screwed my wonky seat at Withdean back into place after five years.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Playing by your rules, it would have to be diving related. Two immediately come to mind: two very playful sea lions in the kelp forest off Monterey Bay - very cold, but stunning beautiful and one of the sea lions constantly swam right up to me and blew bubbles onto my mask; or finding what turned out to be a piece of eight in a wreck. I think I'll plump for the sea lions...

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
abseiling down arundel castle, or winning a slalom competition in Andorra

edit: remembered swimming with dolphins last year at discovery cove. Clear winner!

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I suppose one of the marathons- probably the second one as it wasn't so painful- might be up there.

Doesn't seem like that big a deal now, though it felt like it at the time.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
finding a tom cat that took me 6 months to catch,neuter,microchip,on an old girls bed sleeping like a baby(poor sod had a head that looked like it head been through a meat mincer)
and thinking about it many more like that.

altered just for seagully
and yes I did misread the OP's first post

Last edited:

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
in order
birth of my children
divorce from my first wife
marriage to my second
finding a tom cat that took me 6 months to catch,neuter,microchip,on an old girls bed sleeping like a baby(poor sod had a head that looked like it head been through a meat mincer)
and thinking about it many more like that
and lastly hearing that my daughter has got the all clear after a rather large brush with the big C

I'd re read the opening thread if I were you!

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
I would have to say being a ball-boy for the England v Italy World Cup Qualifier in 1997 at the old Wembley when Zola scored and we lost 1-0. I still have the video at home; I was the first of the ball-boys to get the ball after 1.33 I hopped over an advertising board and passed it to Becks. you also see me in the tunnel a few times as the teams come out.

A few other highlights of that evening included walking out to 80,000 fans singing "football's coming home", having our team shot on the middle of the pitch, my school mates singing my name from the stand as we walked around the pitch before the game and obviously, getting to meet all the players before and after the game. We walked out alongside a player each and I was with Mcmanaman who was a bit of a giggle and asked where I came from, what position I played, etc. Seemed a nice chap.

In the tunnel after the game I approached Zola (who was obviously over the moon) and he walked off with my autograph book into the Italian changing rooms. It was a bit awkward when I (a skinny little 16-year old) poked my head round the door and asked for my book back...

There was also an awkward moment in the second half. I had swapped positions so I was behind the goal we were attacking and England had just had a shot wide and the ball headed my way but still on the turf (we were instructed not to kick the ball at all, just throw) so I started running toward the ball as did the Italian keeper Angelo Peruzzi. We both stopped; then we both started running towards the ball again; then we both stopped again. then we started again by which time I was about a foot away from him so just passed it to him. A small section of the crowd laughed - it was like one of those moments walking down the street and you go to walk past someone and they go in the same direction.

I spoke very briefly with Maldini, Di Matteo, and Del Peiro; the latter I asked if he was signing for Newcastle - he simply laughed and walked off. And of course Becks posed for photos with all of us. In fact I think that was his first ever home international. Maybe I'm wrong.

Alan Shearer was a grumpy ******* before the game but I don't want to confuse grumpy too much with focussed or 'in the zone'. Tony Adams was a delight but probably a bit tipsy; Stuart Pearce had legs wider than Kent. Interestingly a young Rio Ferdinand was also there for experience. He couldn't have been much older than me at the time.

It was a fantastic night and one that I will cherish until the day I die.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I used to say it was meeting Bob Marley and the Wailers after the second show at the Brighton center, but after years of being kicked in the shins by my daughter ill have to say her birth.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Meditation for the first time (better than any drug)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here