Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ajax 'sign' chronically-ill fan, 8, and then give him debut in video

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
Sorry if fixtures and also an apology that it's from the Mail, but this tugged on the heart-strings a touch.

Ajax have made the dreams of seriously ill eight-year-old fan Jay-Jay Willems come true - by signing him for the first team.

After being informed that the youngster was suffering with irritable bowel syndrome, the Dutch club's foundation stepped in to create a video of Jay-Jay being scouted during a training session, taking part in a press conference and playing against NEC Breda. In the 90 second clip, the youngster meets manager Frank de Boer, gets a ride to the Amsterdam Arena in a Mercedes and pulls on the club's famous red and white shirt in the home dressing room.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...lems-Eredivisie-debut-heartwarming-video.html

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
Irritable Bowel Syndrome? Is that it?

I've got asthma, can I take a pen?

IBS can vary wildly. for some it can be a minor nuisance. For others it can take over and ruin their lives. It has caused many suicides due to the major impact it can have. Trivialising a condition you obviously know nothing about just shows ignorance and a lack of class

Last edited:

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I would have thought the same previously, but try having IBS for just a few weeks before judging I reckon. 'Tis not a pleasant condition.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I would imagine IBS in an 8 year old is a very serious illness and could have massive complications in other areas of his health. I really don't think we can judge his health from this distance! The fact Ajax did this says it all really. Does everyone on here have the find the negative in everything nice?

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
If any of the piss takers had bothered to watch the video you would see he has a tube inserted into his stomach so I would say his IBS is quite severe, but don't let that stop the hilarity.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
no, its obvious that i'm not. you're just tryoing to be contrary. however, it is obvious that he is
No I know you're not. I'm not actually trying to be contrary, I just don't think James is really trivialising IBS. A lot of people manage their IBS very well, so on first reading it does seem unusual for the fan to be signed for the first team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here