Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Curbs on EU benefits to come into force on 1 January!

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
They should not pay any money to any immigrants unless they have paid into the system for at least a year. If they then quit work to claim, should only be able to claim for 6 months max, or bugger off.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I don't think that many people would object to quiet discussions among European countries resulting in a calm initiative to control benefits tourism.

But it's not about this is it?

It's about an increasingly screechy Tory Party running petrified from UKIP and their own local associations in a vain attempt to mollify the tabloid headline writers who long ago realised that the easiest way to court popularity is to attack foreigners and outsiders.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
They should not pay any money to any immigrants unless they have paid into the system for at least a year. If they then quit work to claim, should only be able to claim for 6 months max, or bugger off.

Even that would be too generous.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It's about an increasingly screechy Tory Party running petrified from UKIP and their own local associations in a vain attempt to mollify the tabloid headline writers who long ago realised that the easiest way to court popularity is to attack foreigners and outsiders.

It's all smoke and mirrors - a "look how tough we are" stance that is entirely undermined by the fact that EU residents can claim benefits from their home government for three months wherever they are in the EU. So I could go to France and claim 3 months of benefits from the British government. This begs the question - what is the point of this new legislation making immigrants wait three months ?

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008
Can't trust any of them

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
There are existing provisions that prevent migrants claiming benefits in the first three months of coming to the country, which is called the habitual residence test.

Unless you can prove that the UK is your permanent place of residence (which is almost impossible if you have just arrived in the UK) then you cannot make a claim.

This is just a publicity stunt to snatch back the UKIP vote.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
On a slightly different but still European Tack, I read this morning that our government has refused potential funding from a new EU fund to combat poverty in member countries, which could have given us £22,000,000 to help finance the provision of food banks and similar, on the basis that such things should be dealt with by national governments.

WHY?????

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
On a slightly different but still European Tack, I read this morning that our government has refused potential funding from a new EU fund to combat poverty in member countries, which could have given us £22,000,000 to help finance the provision of food banks and similar, on the basis that such things should be dealt with by national governments.

WHY?????

Because that would only lead to more publicity for food banks which is the only reason more people use them according to IDS.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

WHY?????

Because the government has the same attitude that it had to the potato famine in Ireland in the 1800's that caused the death of a million people living there, which is, they're poor so they don't count.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

WHY?????

Because the government has the same attitude that it had to the potato famine in Ireland in the 1800's that caused the death of a million people living there, which is, they're poor so they don't count.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

WHY?????

Because that would be a good news benefit-of-being-in-the-EU story, which absolutely doesn't square with the government's current action man agenda.

Oct 25, 2003
There are existing provisions that prevent migrants claiming benefits in the first three months of coming to the country, which is called the habitual residence test.

Unless you can prove that the UK is your permanent place of residence (which is almost impossible if you have just arrived in the UK) then you cannot make a claim.

This is just a publicity stunt to snatch back the UKIP vote.

this

i work with homeless people...some of whom are foreign. Trust me when I say that its bloody difficult to claim benefits if you're not British. It's very easy to fail the habitual residency test.

D

Deleted member 22389

Should be five years I think. I don't think we would get the same amount of benefits If we clamed in Romania, this is where the system has gone wrong.
If they need to claim benefits then this should be paid at the same rates they would get back in Romania.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
[MENTION=22389]bashlsdir[/MENTION] I've always said that any benefits should be paid for by the country of origin, so if a Pole comes here then if they need benefits then they are paid by Poland and in the days of banks and easy transfers of cash that is easily done. If people know that they are not going to get any social housing, benefits, other than emergency medical care unless they pay they may not be so keen to come to another country.

D

Deleted member 22389

@bashlsdir I've always said that any benefits should be paid for by the country of origin, so if a Pole comes here then if they need benefits then they are paid by Poland and in the days of banks and easy transfers of cash that is easily done. If people know that they are not going to get any social housing, benefits, other than emergency medical care unless they pay they may not be so keen to come to another country.

I think this would be quite reasonable. Our benefits are probably like a full wage in some of these other countries and your right some people wouldn't be so keen to come here. The governments can give us all the assurances they like, it wont be 13,000 people per year that they talk about, it will be more like 100,000 - 150,000 people per year once you include migration from all the other EU and Non EU countries.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here