Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone on here made money from a youtube video?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I notice it's possible to make money from advertising by uploading your own videos to youtube on your own 'channel'.

I'm curious to know if anyone on here has actually done it and can share their first hand experience?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I know it's not particularly useful, but a guy I work with is a serious gamer. He records footage of himself playing various games with his own commentary. He has thousands of subscribers and through adverts etc he recieves almost £700 per month from Youtube/Google.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
I have a close friend who is a Dubstep promoter. He has 70,000 subscribers and earns a fair amount from it.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I think you need a certain number of view/subscribers before you can start monetising - it's not just a case of uploading a video and watching the money roll in

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I know it's not particularly useful, but a guy I work with is a serious gamer. He records footage of himself playing various games with his own commentary. He has thousands of subscribers and through adverts etc he recieves almost £700 per month from Youtube/Google.

Blimey! Makes you think doesn't it!

I realise it's probably not just a case of easy money, but does seem like if you can find a niche and a large audience then it can provide some half decent money.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There's a whole copyright/Youtube issue at the moment.
Bizarrely enough the games industry is on the side of the serious gamers, as they're promoting their games.

Anyhoo the side story to that was one of the gamers, PewdyPie, had 50,000,000 hits in one week, that's more than One Direction.

Shirty

Daring to Zlatan
I believe the family that uploaded the "Charlie bit my finger" clip have earned in excess of £100k, but has been viewed by the entire world. Twice.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
There's that pewdiedie guy who literally made millions by recording himself playing video games and making funny faces.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I believe the family that uploaded the "Charlie bit my finger" clip have earned in excess of £100k, but has been viewed by the entire world. Twice.

Yeah, saw that in a Guardian article. Beats the £250 from You've Been Framed I suppose.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Pewdiepie has just over 18 million subscribers, his average videos get 1-4 million views within the first week, when you consider he uploads - on average - 1 a day you can see how he makes money. Thats not even counting his occasional videos which get silly amounts of views (some around the 50 million mark) plus sponsorship etc. Think he lives in Brighton actually.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

What 14 billion views!? That can't be right can it? Or do they mean the worlds population that has internet access?, however they work that out :shrug:

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
I make a bit from it but not enough to quit the day job. If you do try it then be very careful of the copywriting restrictions. YouTube will do their utmost to get out of paying out. I think they have to be careful of copywriting though so it's not entirely their choice.
If you can find a topic that isn't already well covered you will fare better but that's the hardest part of the videos . Sound quality is more important than picture quality. If people cannot hear what you are saying then they will look elsewhere for their info.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I make a bit from it but not enough to quit the day job. If you do try it then be very careful of the copywriting restrictions. YouTube will do their utmost to get out of paying out. I think they have to be careful of copywriting though so it's not entirely their choice.
If you can find a topic that isn't already well covered you will fare better but that's the hardest part of the videos . Sound quality is more important than picture quality. If people cannot hear what you are saying then they will look elsewhere for their info.

Do you mind me asking what it is your videos are about?

No worries if you don't want to say. I'm just curious really to hear of people's experiences.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
My vids are about allotments and how to grow veggies for showing.
There's a few of us that make these types but not many for the show side of GYO.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
My vids are about allotments and how to grow veggies for showing.
There's a few of us that make these types but not many for the show side of GYO.

Nice. I have an allotment myself and part of my job is tending a large organic veg garden whilst working alongside adults with learning difficulties in a support worker/teaching role.

I can imagine you have quite an audience as growing your own has never been so popular, but as you say, the show side might be a bit more niche. Giant veg for showing I can imagine would be an area all of it's own too.

Have you got a link to one of your vids?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here