Ripper Street
Survivors (2nd series)
what exactly are the BBC up to
neither of these were bad???

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The final episode of series 2 attracted 3.7 milion viewers last night. Although the BBC has axed Ripper Street they are in talks with LoveFilm about a co-funded third series , which if commissioned will see it appear first online via LoveFilm and then shown on BBC at a later date.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
The final episode of series 2 attracted 3.7 milion viewers last night. Although the BBC has axed Ripper Street they are in talks with LoveFilm about a co-funded third series , which if commissioned will see it appear first online via LoveFilm and then shown on BBC at a later date.

that sounds good
thanks for that

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Tough Guy or Chicken
The Good Guys
Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip
And Futurama, for YEARS.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
Ripper Street
Survivors (2nd series)
what exactly are the BBC up to
neither of these were bad???

For me, Ripper Street had all the right ingredients for a good story but it didn't quite work for some reason. Matthew Macfadyen has all the stage presence of a lump of wood - he could give 'Charlie' from Casualty a run for his money in the least expressive acting awards. Jerome Flynn was supposed to be a street-fighting local hard man yet spoke with the same clipped awkward dialogue of Macfadyen. In fact none of the characters seemed to come from London... Why did we have to have an American? It added nothing to the story, presumably the BBC had trans-Atlantic sales in mind.

The BBC seems to have spent all the budget on the sets and historical accuracy but forgot to hire any decent actors.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
For me, Ripper Street had all the right ingredients for a good story but it didn't quite work for some reason. Matthew Macfadyen has all the stage presence of a lump of wood - he could give 'Charlie' from Casualty a run for his money in the least expressive acting awards. Jerome Flynn was supposed to be a street-fighting local hard man yet spoke with the same clipped awkward dialogue of Macfadyen. In fact none of the characters seemed to come from London... Why did we have to have an American? It added nothing to the story, presumably the BBC had trans-Atlantic sales in mind.

The BBC seems to have spent all the budget on the sets and historical accuracy but forgot to hire any decent actors.

Bang on, I'm pretty sure that's why Captain Jack Harkness was given a Western Atlantic twang for Dr Who, especially as he is Scottish and can do fluent Glaswegian.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Ripper Street was a nearly but not quite for me too. It should have been completely of it's time with historical drama and the beardy Steampunk look being so popular yet it seemed to forget it needed a storyline.

However, compared with some of the American stuff on Sky the BBC are now coming up trumps again. House and 24 - certainly in early series - knocked anything we were producing in to a cocked hat and The West Wing, Oz and The Simpsons are among my favourite programmes ever made, all while Auntie was putting out the likes of Waterloo Rd and Holby City. However The Newsroom wasn't a patch on The West Wing, Revolution is just Lost with a lower budget and identical soundtrack and Cumberbatch's Sherlock kicks the shit out of Jude Law's.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Ripper Street couldn't make up its mind whether it was a Victorian melodrama set in London, or an American western. Trying to please both sides of the Atlantic just didn't work. It also became just too bloodthirsty. It's a cop show, not the Texas Chainsaw massacre.

Never seen ripper street but survivors was awful

as a very big fan of the original I have to agree despite really looking forward to it, having said that the original looks terrible now but it was a long time ago!. BBC had already decided a 2nd series wasn't going to be filmed before they aired the open ended last episode. Not Max Beesley's (is that his name?) finest role and that Scottish bint was nowhere near as good looking as the original Abi Grant.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Bang on, I'm pretty sure that's why Captain Jack Harkness was given a Western Atlantic twang for Dr Who, especially as he is Scottish and can do fluent Glaswegian.

Maybe the american accent was more due to the fact that Barrowman was raised in the US!!! Have to say I thought he was American until I checked on Wiki!!!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Maybe the american accent was more due to the fact that Barrowman was raised in the US!!! Have to say I thought he was American until I checked on Wiki!!!

Raised is a bit of a moot point as his early days were in Scotland and he can very easily slip in to Scottish brogue when required. I think he rather worked on perfecting the American accent to fit in rather than just developing it naturally.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
i think the problem is they aren't bad but they aren't particularly good either....i can see why they were axed as they can free the space up for something that will potentially be a lot more popular

probably right
BBC is in competition with the independents like ITV but then some of the stuff on them is totally mind numbing even the soaps follow one another we have guessed the stories before they even happen (although many years ago the airplane crash on Emmerdale was a piece of great script writing and also got rid of a lot of the deadwood) every thing now is so predictable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here