Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A Mile Oak story from the 1960s

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Would love to know what happened to Johnny Belton and Mark and Michael Newlove.... at least one of them was an Albion diehard, but it was 47 years ago and now all of us are in our late 50s, if still alive. Also be interested to hear from anyone who remembers the military training ground beyond the farm at the end of Mile Oak village.
Or anyone who lived in Mile Oak between 1962 and 1970ish.

http://seagullnic.wordpress.com/201...-battlefield-where-the-shells-of-bullets-fly/

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
As the spokesman for the West Blatchington boys from the next hill to the east............ A decade earlier, we had no idea such a fun place existed. Had we known, it would have saved us desperately seeking out supplies of weedkiller and sugar. :bigwave:

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Living in Foredown Drive from 1965 onwards, as kids we used to go in gangs to the old isolation hospital, the water tower and the Army grounds..
In my days going to school we used to walk over those hills to chalky road every day..in all weathers, so school buses or mummy to drive us to school.

What fun we had in those buildings,,,,and we thought we were the only ones...!!!

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
My dad lived in Easthill Drive from the mid 1950's til he married my mum in 1973. Will send the link to him.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
we did not move there until the early 80's
great place
my only complaint would be its a little difficult in the winter

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Downland Court 66-78. I can remember collecting shell casings over the downs, so i guess that was the firing range. Never lucky ??? ?! enough to find anything more.

Easthill Yoof club, meeting the aforementioned gentlemen of west blatch at the golf course :wink:

Happy days

Last edited:

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
As the spokesman for the West Blatchington boys from the next hill to the east............ A decade earlier, we had no idea such a fun place existed. Had we known, it would have saved us desperately seeking out supplies of weedkiller and sugar. :bigwave:

I didn't know we had a spokesman. I was lookout person in Harmsworth Towers. The outer wall was Buckley Close.

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
Living in Foredown Drive from 1965 onwards, as kids we used to go in gangs to the old isolation hospital, the water tower and the Army grounds..
In my days going to school we used to walk over those hills to chalky road every day..in all weathers, so school buses or mummy to drive us to school.

What fun we had in those buildings,,,,and we thought we were the only ones...!!!

I worked in the old hospital and went up into the old water tower years before it was converted

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I didn't know we had a spokesman. I was lookout person in Harmsworth Towers. The outer wall was Buckley Close.

I see you are from a later generation Sid. as in my time the park was much bigger and covered all of Harmsworth Crescent. There were no buildings, only the Schools blocking direct access to the playground of the downs.
My old Mum moved back and lived in Chichester Close in the 80's and 90's. She wanted to get back to West Blatchington, I kept telling her she was probably more in Hangleton than Blatch.:thumbsup:

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
I see you are from a later generation Sid. as in my time the park was much bigger and covered all of Harmsworth Crescent. There were no buildings, only the Schools blocking direct access to the playground of the downs.
My old Mum moved back and lived in Chichester Close in the 80's and 90's. She wanted to get back to West Blatchington, I kept telling her she was probably more in Hangleton than Blatch.:thumbsup:

I lived next to the park from about 1965 to 1974. I remember the Sunday morning 23 a side kick abouts.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
10 half time 20 full. Click Clarke, Roy Walters, Bernie Peters to name a few. Remember any?

I remember Click well. Never passed and used to spin round with the ball so many times he ended up his own arse.
Roy Walters rings a bell. Happy days. I used to play for West Blatch on Saturday mornings and Hove 17thB cubs in the afternoon.
Still got my medals.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Thanks for the memories guys... remember getting our bikes to cycle up to West Blatchington. The freedom we had back then was amazing. Also remember a lad I was in Mile Oak cubs with called Ian Brown, whose dad coached Mile Oak boys football team... he always left me out cold on the left wing (hence NSC name!). BTW I lived in Westway Close!

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Thanks for the memories guys... remember getting our bikes to cycle up to West Blatchington. The freedom we had back then was amazing. Also remember a lad I was in Mile Oak cubs with called Ian Brown, whose dad coached Mile Oak boys football team... he always left me out cold on the left wing (hence NSC name!). BTW I lived in Westway Close!

Remember Portslade swans? I played for them in Victoria Park

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here