Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Question for the cricket umpires

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Batsman A is on strike and Batman B is at the other end.
A hits ball and runs, B doesn't and remains in his end. A gets in and the fielding side then whip off the bails at the strikers end. Neither A nor B walks. Who does the umpire give out ?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I have played league cricket for 30 years and don't know the answer.

Morally, I would say that "A" should have made an attempt to get back when it became obvious that "B" was not going to run...

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Surely A is in control and so B should run if A does ? B should be given out ?

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
The 2 batsmen should decide between them. Normally 1 would walk. If they both refused, I guess the captain would decide?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
My cricket knowledge is fairly limited and I haven't played the game since I was at school, but I always thought the rule was once the batsmen have crossed they cannot turn back, therefore once "A" has reached the crease at the non-strikers end they have crossed and "B" should be the player given out as he would be running to the strikers end. That of course could all be nonsense as "B" has never technically left his crease so therefore they can't be judged to have crossed and "A" should be given out.

In short - I don't know.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
My cricket knowledge is fairly limited and I haven't played the game since I was at school, but I always thought the rule was once the batsmen have crossed they cannot turn back, therefore once "A" has reached the crease at the non-strikers end they have crossed and "B" should be the player given out as he would be running to the strikers end. That of course could all be nonsense as "B" has never technically left his crease so therefore they can't be judged to have crossed and "A" should be given out.

In short - I don't know.
Good response and the right conclusion... :)

I think it is A.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Law 29 2. Which is a batsman’s ground

(a) If only one batsman is within a ground

(i) it is his ground

(ii) it remains his ground even if he is later joined there by the other batsman.

Batsman A is out.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patreon
Jun 26, 2009
East
Surely A is in control and so B should run if A does ? B should be given out ?

Other way round, seeing as B is able to see the field better then they are in control of whether to run or not. A is out.

Depends where the ball went - i.e. who has line of sight to judge how long they have to make the run.

FWIW, I'd say A is out, but am not 100% sure. If you don't leave the crease, how can you be run out?

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patreon
Jun 26, 2009
East
Law 29 2. Which is a batsman’s ground

(a) If only one batsman is within a ground

(i) it is his ground

(ii) it remains his ground even if he is later joined there by the other batsman.

Batsman A is out.

Well that settles it! :thumbsup:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
This has happened in professional cricket a few times, and every time the person who left his crease (ie, the person that initiated the run whether he is the striker or no striker, it's always the guy who leaves his crease who is given out as the other guy has not left his ground thus cannot be given out, that is assuming he never left his crease and had not left his crease and crossed with the person who chose to run.

Basically A or B cannot be given out if they never leave their crease.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If you don't leave your crease, you CANNOT be run out. Simple as that really.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here