Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seagulls Player: an open letter from Paul Barber

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Dear Supporter

As current Seagulls Player subscribers are aware, we have been experiencing a number of issues with the service. Some of these issues date back some considerable time and, despite the best efforts of our media team – and a number of previous complaints to The Football League and the League’s partner, Perform – the poor service has continued.

This weekend Seagulls Player subscribers endured yet more frustration as the commentary soundtrack was lost for most of the second half of the match at Middlesbrough. Again, our media team spent much of their time trying to rectify the issues – which were not of their making – and to respond to supporter queries. This prevented them from focusing on their normal match day duties.

Clearly, this simply isn’t good enough and we can only apologise. Seagulls Player subscribers, our supporters, deserve better and, at the very least, our fans should be entitled to the service for which they are paying.

Indeed, several subscribers wrote to me over the weekend to air their perfectly understandable frustrations and I promised to take up the matter personally and directly with both The Football League’s and Perform’s chief executives with a view to agreeing a plan for service improvements and also to secure some form of goodwill gesture for current subscribers.

By way of an update, I did, as promised, write to The Football League and Perform on Sunday afternoon. I received a fairly swift response to my original letter (and to my subsequent reply) and it has now been arranged for Paul Camillin, the club’s head of communications, and myself to meet with The Football League (and Perform) on Wednesday morning.

In the meantime, Paul and his media team and the Football League’s Interactive (FLi) staff are looking at a short term technical fix which they are aiming to implement in time for this week-end’s home fixture with Huddersfield.

I have also asked for The Football League to prepare a written explanation for the issues we have faced that we can pass on to Seagulls Player subscribers. In addition, I will continue to push for some kind of financial gesture of goodwill for our fans.

I cannot promise that things will be perfect following the short term fix, or that the discussions we will have regarding the quality of the longer term service will deliver ideal solutions to the all of the issues we have faced, but I do hope you will see an improvement in the very near term.

I can promise that we will do whatever we can to ensure you receive the service for which you are paying. The club does benefit from your subscriptions and given the efforts we are making to increase revenues, we are very keen to maintain this important income stream providing of course our supporters receive value for the money they are paying out.

Finally, several of you have suggested that we should walk away from the current agreement and 'go it alone’. Unfortunately, it is not as simple as that. All of the Football League’s digital assets are grouped together and sold on a collective basis.

The Albion was one of a majority of Football League clubs that signed this long term contract for which the Player service is just one element. Yes, there is a service level agreement, and, yes, we are using that to judge the current suppliers, Perform, but walking away is not an option for us at this time.

The club does have a right to opt out at the end of the current contract or when it ceases to be a Football League member.

Once again, I want to apologise for the poor service you have received. We absolutely share your frustration. And we are determined to do everything we can to ensure you receive the service for which you have paid. In the meantime, thank you for your patience and understanding. We will keep you updated on the outcome of our discussions and we will pass on any communication we receive from the Football League.

Kind regards, Paul Barber

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Excellent letter to subscribers. Let's hope that FLi/Perform pull their fingers out.

NSC grammar police note: spot the typo in PB's letter? :wink:

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Are all subscribers supposed to be getting a personal e mail, or is this it?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Excellent letter to subscribers. Let's hope that FLi/Perform pull their fingers out.

Typo in the title too. :D (Ninja edited!)

Regarding 'financial gestures', I hope this will, if granted, apply to those of us who have cancelled our subs recently due to the mostly poor performance throughout this season. I'm not holding my breath though.

Last edited:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

I think it would be a good idea to make an official thread for the Seagull Player sticky, so that this issue is documented fully rather than diluting it with many starter threads every week.

We need a one stop shop with an accurate timeline for service complaints to use and refer to.

Can this be done?

Eksman

Aug 9, 2012
On the toilet
Typo in the title too. :D

Regarding 'financial gestures', I hope this will, if granted, apply to those of us who have cancelled our subs recently due to the mostly poor performance throughout this season. I'm not holding my breath though.

Yeah I hope so, I imagine there is a lot of us that cancelled before now. I chose my reason I think to be 'poor service' so hopefully they pick it up from that

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I'm sure I've not got them all...

Dear Supporter

As current Seagulls Player subscribers are aware, we have been experiencing a number of issues with the service. Some of these issues date back some considerable time and, despite the best efforts of our media team – and a number of previous complaints to The Football League and the League’s partner, Perform – the poor service has continued.

This weekend Seagulls Player subscribers endured yet more frustration as the commentary soundtrack was lost for most of the second half of the match at Middlesbrough. Again, our media team spent much of their time trying to rectify the issues – which were not of their making – and to respond to supporter queries. This prevented them from focusing on their normal match day duties.

Clearly, this simply isn’t good enough and we can only apologise. Seagulls Player subscribers, our supporters, deserve better and, at the very least, our fans should be entitled to the service for which they are paying.

Indeed, several subscribers wrote to me over the weekend to air their perfectly understandable frustrations and I promised to take up the matter personally and directly with both The Football League’s and Perform’s chief executives with a view to agreeing a plan for service improvements and also to secure some form of goodwill gesture for current subscribers.

By way of an update, I did, as promised, write to The Football League and Perform on Sunday afternoon. I received a fairly swift response to my original letter (and to my subsequent reply) and it has now been arranged for Paul Camillin, the club’s head of communications, and myself to meet with The Football League (and Perform) on Wednesday morning.

In the meantime, Paul and his media team and the Football League’s Interactive (FLi) staff are looking at a short term technical fix which[1] they are aiming to implement in time for this week-end’s[2] home fixture with Huddersfield.

I have also asked for The Football League to prepare a written explanation for the issues we have faced that we can pass on to Seagulls Player subscribers. In addition, I will continue to push for some kind of financial gesture of goodwill for our fans.

I cannot promise that things will be perfect following the short term fix, or that the discussions we will have regarding the quality of the longer term service will deliver ideal solutions to the all of the[3] issues we have faced, but I do hope you will see an improvement in the very near term.

I can promise that we will do whatever we can to ensure you receive the service for which you are paying. The club does benefit from your subscriptions and given the efforts we are making to increase revenues, we are very keen to maintain this important income stream providing of course our supporters receive value for the money they are paying out.

Finally, several of you have suggested that we should walk away from the current agreement and 'go it alone’. Unfortunately, it is not as simple as that. All of the Football League’s digital assets are grouped together and sold on a collective basis.

The Albion was one of a majority of Football League clubs that signed this long term contract for which the Player service is just one element. Yes, there is a service level agreement, and, yes, we are using that to judge the current suppliers, Perform, but walking away is not an option for us at this time.

The club does have a right to opt out at the end of the current contract or when it ceases to be a Football League member.

Once again, I want to apologise for the poor service you have received. We absolutely share your frustration. And[4] we are determined to do everything we can to ensure you receive the service for which you have paid. In the meantime, thank you for your patience and understanding. We will keep you updated on the outcome of our discussions and we will pass on any communication we receive from the Football League.

[1] Fix, which
[2] weekend's (I believe when talking about time in such a way, the apostrophe is acceptable but can also be left out)
[3] to all of the
[4] starting a sentence with 'And' is poor form (I believe it is technically acceptable, but should be avoided).

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford

You have to be in it to win it.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Yeah I hope so, I imagine there is a lot of us that cancelled before now. I chose my reason I think to be 'poor service' so hopefully they pick it up from that

with the amount of emails I have had with offers since jacking it in it would be nice just to get an apology from whoever has been involved in this fiasco
cue hundreds of emails from people I have never heard of

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Dear Supporter

In the meantime, Paul and his media team and the Football League’s Interactive (FLi) staff are looking at a short term technical fix which they are aiming to implement in time for this week-end’s home fixture with Huddersfield.

I cannot promise that things will be perfect following the short term fix, or that the discussions we will have regarding the quality of the longer term service will deliver ideal solutions to the all of the issues we have faced, but I do hope you will see an improvement in the very near term.

Once again, I want to apologise for the poor service you have received. We absolutely share your frustration. And we are determined to do everything we can to ensure you receive the service for which you have paid. In the meantime, thank you for your patience and understanding. We will keep you updated on the outcome of our discussions and we will pass on any communication we receive from the Football League.

and this should have been done some years ago
and I am sorry but these complaints have been made for years and its taken until now to sort it ...................really?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
double post

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
and this should have been done some years ago
and I am sorry but these complaints have been made for years and its taken until now to sort it ...................really?
You need a CEO like Paul Barber to tell the Football League the way it is. All it takes is ONE person to make the difference.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
You need a CEO like Paul Barber to tell the Football League the way it is. All it takes is ONE person to make the difference.

I agree wholeheartedly and its looks like something will happen ,but surely this could have been done a good while ago the club must have known it was bad

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I agree wholeheartedly and its looks like something will happen ,but surely this could have been done a good while ago the club must have known it was bad

No, he said last night that they have been on to the provider for some time. It just happens that this letter he wrote the other day has come to light now, which is why you're under the impression that they've only just noticed. Granted, they haven't written to fans before now, which might have been nice, but I do believe they have been trying to fix it.

Ultimately, the Albion would lose out financially if subscribers start cancelling because of the poor service, so of course they're going to be bothered about it. It sounds like they're very much constrained by the terms of a contract signed en masse by FL clubs some years ago.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Note these 2 posts from Bozza in the "Paul Barber writes a rather magnificent letter to the FL re: Player's failings" thread.

Post #129 - The impression given last night was no, as it's a collective agreement with the Football League. It was a contact for 10 years, although I'm not sure how long ago it was agreed - it was under Dick Knight though. You're free to escape upon promotion to the Premier League however. I'm not sure there is huge appetite to escape anyway. Paul cited his experience at Spurs and how much money it can take to build all that stuff for yourself. He also spoke about the commercial benefit of the collective agreement that could be lost to a club going solo.

Post #144 - I have an idea, yes, but I'm not going to say. It's more substantial than you would expect - well into 6 figures.

The club is stuck in a catch 22 situation , rock the boat too hard and you fall overboard.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
No, he said last night that they have been on to the provider for some time. It just happens that this letter he wrote the other day has come to light now, which is why you're under the impression that they've only just noticed. Granted, they haven't written to fans before now, which might have been nice, but I do believe they have been trying to fix it.

Ultimately, the Albion would lose out financially if subscribers start cancelling because of the poor service, so of course they're going to be bothered about it. It sounds like they're very much constrained by the terms of a contract signed en masse by FL clubs some years ago.

Note these 2 posts from Bozza in the "Paul Barber writes a rather magnificent letter to the FL re: Player's failings" thread.

Post #129 - The impression given last night was no, as it's a collective agreement with the Football League. It was a contact for 10 years, although I'm not sure how long ago it was agreed - it was under Dick Knight though. You're free to escape upon promotion to the Premier League however. I'm not sure there is huge appetite to escape anyway. Paul cited his experience at Spurs and how much money it can take to build all that stuff for yourself. He also spoke about the commercial benefit of the collective agreement that could be lost to a club going solo.

Post #144 - I have an idea, yes, but I'm not going to say. It's more substantial than you would expect - well into 6 figures.

The club is stuck in a catch 22 situation , rock the boat too hard and you fall overboard.

I'm not in disagreement with either of your posts
what I am saying is complaints have been made and people who work for the club have known about the rubbish service for years so why suddenly now is someone at the club doing something about it
or do they not actually talk to one another

or does the sudden loss of revenue have something to do with it ????????????

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I'm not in disagreement with either of your posts
what I am saying is complaints have been made and people who work for the club have known about the rubbish service for years so why suddenly now is someone at the club doing something about it
or do they not actually talk to one another

or does the sudden loss of revenue have something to do with it ????????????

It seems to me that PB is the one to deal with all these things since he has arrived and that this issue has possibly been a little further down the list of catering/cutbacks/overspends/sponsorships that he is trying to deal with.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
It seems to me that PB is the one to deal with all these things since he has arrived and that this issue has possibly been a little further down the list of catering/cutbacks/overspends/sponsorships that he is trying to deal with.

that still does not answer the question that it has been a crap service for many years and the club have known about it
it would be interesting to know when this deal with the FL was struck????

rool

Jul 10, 2003
that still does not answer the question that it has been a crap service for many years and the club have known about it
it would be interesting to know when this deal with the FL was struck????

I am guessing the answer is that no one else within the club cared or was willing to take responsibility until now and, yes, it has probably been triggered by a loss of revenue but it may be the case that issues worth more have been prioritised and dealt with first.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here