Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I watched, and certainly was a cracker, especially with the orchestra and choir with them. The opening, with the JFK speach is spine tingling stuff.

Saw PSB do the same last week at Apollo 50 at Goonhilly, Cornwall. They were followed by Orbital, so well worth the drive there and back the following day.

Was at the racecourse for Doves on Friday to, and that was a fantastic night too.

Love Doves ! I don't think they got the recognition they deserved at the time.

boik

I watched, and certainly was a cracker, especially with the orchestra and choir with them. The opening, with the JFK speach is spine tingling stuff.

Saw PSB do the same last week at Apollo 50 at Goonhilly, Cornwall. They were followed by Orbital, so well worth the drive there and back the following day.

Was at the racecourse for Doves on Friday to, and that was a fantastic night too.

Watched the PSB thing on BBC4, and found it a bit weird. The orchestral bits seemed to have been shoehorned in and slowed it down too much. Seemed to add nothing, especially as there was already a horn section. I love PSB by the way, and just thought it wasn't a patch on thieir Dome showing.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Thoroughly enjoyed the Elliott Smith charity tribute at the Pipeline tonight (celebrating what would have been his 50th birthday). It would have been upgraded to a bigger venue if they'd sold more tickets. I'm always surprised he doesn't appear to be more well known, he's an utter genius to my cloth ears. Also, my one conspiracy theory - I do not believe he stabbed himself in the heart, er twice, and signed his name wrong on his suicide note. The only other person present had their fingerprints on the knife....because they pulled it out.

Anyway, a very enjoyable ramshackle show tonight.

Last edited:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Anyone catch The Murder Capital instore at Resident? Saw their lunchtime one at Rough Trade East in London - absolutely stunning.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Thoroughly enjoyed the Elliott Smith charity tribute at the Pipeline tonight (celebrating what would have been his 50th birthday). It would have been upgraded to a bigger venue if they'd sold more tickets. I'm always surprised he doesn't appear to be more well known, he's an utter genius to my cloth ears. Also, my one conspiracy theory - I do not believe he stabbed himself in the heart, er twice, and signed his name wrong on his suicide note. The only other person present had their fingerprints on the knife....because they pulled it out.

Anyway, a very enjoyable ramshackle show tonight.

I have been known to bang on about Elliott Smith. We were away for the tribute. On this note, there's a busker who often plays in Gardner Street, and performs a fair few Elliott Smith songs, quite brilliantly capturing their bittersweet beauty.

Binney on acid

NSC Patreon
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I have been known to bang on about Elliott Smith. We were away for the tribute. On this note, there's a busker who often plays in Gardner Street, and performs a fair few Elliott Smith songs, quite brilliantly capturing their bittersweet beauty.
I saw him once at the Concorde. He was good, but it wasn't exactly life changing. IMHO he wasn't in the same league as Jackson Browne. No one is, apart from possibly Springsteen. Awaits flak........................

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Anyone catch The Murder Capital instore at Resident? Saw their lunchtime one at Rough Trade East in London - absolutely stunning.

Saw them at The Great Escape and thought they were ok. My friend saw them the day after and said they were brilliant. Maybe I was missing something!! They are playing Concorde 2 in October during a football free weekend.

And Mclusky are at the same venue night before Burnley match. A must see.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Went on Belle and Sebastian's Boaty weekender the other week, it was brilliant. Stuck on a boat with some great bands, all doing 2-3 gigs over the weekend. All the bands were so friendly.

Highlights were the Buzzcock's second gig where the other acts stepped in and did the Pete Shelly parts - Stuart and Stevie from B&S, Yo Le Tengo, Vasalines, Camera Obscura, Django Django and Molly from Alvays.

The Hives are my new obsession, I see I bought one of their tracks back in 2014 but seeing them live was superb, watched all three of their gigs. Someone described them as veloraptors, they certainty brought some crazy energy to the boat.

Also loved Whyte Horses, but all the bands from Mogwai to Honeyblood to Teenage Fanclub were great and by their final sets were doing requests from people they had spoken too over the weekend.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Saw them at The Great Escape and thought they were ok. My friend saw them the day after and said they were brilliant. Maybe I was missing something!! They are playing Concorde 2 in October during a football free weekend.

And Mclusky are at the same venue night before Burnley match. A must see.

Yes, considering Concorde one but seeing them in London the night before and Birmingham the night after. They are stunning! Album is great, too.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Yes, considering Concorde one but seeing them in London the night before and Birmingham the night after. They are stunning! Album is great, too.

I’ll have a listen then and give them a go. Are you off to the BSP weekend? A great line up but sadly I can’t make it.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I’ll have a listen then and give them a go. Are you off to the BSP weekend? A great line up but sadly I can’t make it.

Yeah! Don't think the line-up is that great actually, but it will be a fun weekend for sure!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Binney on acid

NSC Patreon
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Anyone on here see Keene at The Brighton Centre last night? An unlimited selection of mediocre songs, interspersed with a three or four of the outstanding tracks from 'Hopes and dreams'. They're good, but they're certainly not great.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Mrs T has just bought us tickets to see Turkey's finest darkwave band, She Past Away, in the spring. Having seen them live, and channeling our former leader, these are a good band.

Here is an oldie but goodie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0u22gLqxGg

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Snapped Ankles tonight at the C2. Saw them supporting Beak and looking forward to them headlining.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here