Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Agreed. I really enjoyed the gig. Also refreshing to see not many I phones out recording and not much chat during the show either. Just loads of grumpy middle aged blokes, gently nodding and appreciating. Right up my street!

And all over by 10.p.m!! The last time I saw them was supporting The Cure which I didn't really enjoy as it was late afternoon and in my opinion they are not a festival band. Perfect for the Dome though and great choice of songs- thankfully mainly taken from Bright Lights and the new album. Nick Cave tonight and Bloc Party tomorrow.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
As mentioned over on another thread, me and the missus saw Bon Jovi at Wembley last Friday. I used to like them back in the late 80s, not so keen on their recent stuff though, but the missus has seen them 8 times now and loves them. They actually put on a very good show - but you would expect nothing less from a band who have been touring for 30 odd years I guess. I thought it might miss something with Richie Sambora not being with them any more, but the "new" guitarist was absolutely superb, and performed some stunning solos. Great stuff.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Europe and Def Leppard is a double bill back-to-my-teens gig; they’re playing Hysteria in full....an album I have not heard for 30 years or so. It was very tempting to omit it from the list :smile:

I'm going to see Rod at Hove next month which I'm sure plenty won't get. Not so sure I will, but I saw him about 18 years ago and loved it.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
And all over by 10.p.m!! The last time I saw them was supporting The Cure which I didn't really enjoy as it was late afternoon and in my opinion they are not a festival band. Perfect for the Dome though and great choice of songs- thankfully mainly taken from Bright Lights and the new album. Nick Cave tonight and Bloc Party tomorrow.

I’m going to see Bloc Party too Saturday. Not keen on the centre but hoping for a good one.

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
Great weekend for music.
The Damned last night
Elvana tonight. Saw them at Download a couple weeks ago. Ridiculously entertaining.
Selecter tomorrow night....... all three gigs at the Concorde.
Oh ...and Converge and Terror in Camden on Monday. Just a shame it's on a Monday. Early start 4 bands, probably miss the first two travelling up. Terror is the main reason for going, so as long as I see them.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm going to see Rod at Hove next month which I'm sure plenty won't get. Not so sure I will, but I saw him about 18 years ago and loved it.

:thumbsup:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Europe and Def Leppard is a double bill back-to-my-teens gig; they’re playing Hysteria in full....an album I have not heard for 30 years or so. It was very tempting to omit it from the list :smile: The Comet is Coming have announced another date here; the Frau and Ich will be there for that as well...just waiting for ticket details now.

I saw the Cave Conversations thing a month or so ago. Highly entertaining and amusing at times with some lovely versions of his songs. Best part was a very awkward moment when a bloke asked if his wife could sing with him. I feel better for having gone but no way was it worth the 100 euros. Great work if you can get it and he must be making a fortune as he’s selling out venues across the US and Europe for what must be a very low cost production

I'd pretty much agree with what you've said and, perhaps even more so, implied about Cave. It was intriguing, and he was great, but I doubt I'll go again, in large part because too many members of the audience tried to make it about themselves. What was really interesting was that well over half the people asking questions were from abroad. I don't know if there's some special attachment with his uber-fan base to see him in Brighton ('my home city', as he said), or whether that's par for the course with all of his In Conversation series.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I'd pretty much agree with what you've said and, perhaps even more so, implied about Cave. It was intriguing, and he was great, but I doubt I'll go again, in large part because too many members of the audience tried to make it about themselves. What was really interesting was that well over half the people asking questions were from abroad. I don't know if there's some special attachment with his uber-fan base to see him in Brighton ('my home city', as he said), or whether that's par for the course with all of his In Conversation series.

Felt very much the same about Nick Cave on Friday. Really enjoyed the music and good to see the odd unexpected song being played. Well done the 10 year old for his Stagger Lee request which mum dutifully gave parental consent. Questions ranged from the embarrassing- who would be you ideal 5 dinner dates? Which Nick entertained for mere seconds without an answer. To more thoughtful stuff regrading The Bad Seeds, reflections on Arthur’s death and Grinderman. Not sure however that Nick is your man for prolonged discussions on Climate Change. And it was too long.

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
Thoroughly enjoyed Bloc Party Saturday night. Playing silent alarm in reverse was a really nice touch, Flawless album, and the encore tracks were a great choice, Flux, Hunting for Witches and Ratchet never disappoint. The new lineup (not that new really) work brilliantly. The old drummer was a hard act to follow, but in my opinion she is a safer pair of hands and in general they are a slicker outfit nowadays. Silent alarm really does stand the test of time, and is as relevant now as it was almost 15 years ago.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Well I had a nice civilised day of live music yesterday, most enjoyable.

Attachments

• IMG_0201.JPG
    IMG_0201.JPG
    607.8 KB · Views: 121

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well I had a nice civilised day of live music yesterday, most enjoyable.

Good work, position from where photo was taken is noted. I do like a slightly indirect “look at me”. :lolol:

How was Steve Mason?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Thoroughly enjoyed Bloc Party Saturday night. Playing silent alarm in reverse was a really nice touch, Flawless album, and the encore tracks were a great choice, Flux, Hunting for Witches and Ratchet never disappoint. The new lineup (not that new really) work brilliantly. The old drummer was a hard act to follow, but in my opinion she is a safer pair of hands and in general they are a slicker outfit nowadays. Silent alarm really does stand the test of time, and is as relevant now as it was almost 15 years ago.

Didn’t realise they went back to front with the album. Really enjoyed it nonetheless. Big crowd too which was nice to see.

I was expecting a 2/3 full at most but in fairness the floor was really busy and a few seats either wing were free as you’d expect.

A much chunkier sound and the album tracks sounded really good.

Again as you say the original drummer was one of the best I’d seen but the replacement more than holds her own.

Quite nostalgic for me as I played the album a lot with many others from around that time.

Quite a few youngsters in attendance who couldn’t have been more than 7/8 when it came out. Good to see and reminds me a bit of getting into albums before my era like Screamadelica, Queen is Dead etc..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here