Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Astounding Fact

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I couldnt believe it when I heard on Smooth Radio this morning when the morning presenter standing in for Lynn Parsons said that Slade's Merry Christmas Everybody earns them over £800k a year in royalties etc even now. That is the equivalent of over £2k per week each.

I wonder what Mistletoe and Wine earns Cliff and White Christmas earns Bing Crosbys family.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Think you'll find that only two of them wrote it, so it's rather more than £2k/week each.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Wasnt sure how many were in Slade when they made the record. That is great earning for 1 record but I read somewhere that Cliffs Congratulations is the most played record something like 1000 times every weekend at parties etc.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Wasnt sure how many were in Slade when they made the record. That is great earning for 1 record but I read somewhere that Cliffs Congratulations is the most played record something like 1000 times every weekend at parties etc.

Blimey. Must cost Frankie and Bennys a fortune in royalties then, everytime we go in there for a meal you will hear 'Congratulations ' blast out at least a couple of times, when someone is celebrating a birthday.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
I couldnt believe it when I heard on Smooth Radio this morning when the morning presenter standing in for Lynn Parsons said that Slade's Merry Christmas Everybody earns them over £800k a year in royalties etc even now. That is the equivalent of over £2k per week each.

I wonder what Mistletoe and Wine earns Cliff and White Christmas earns Bing Crosbys family.

Read an article in the newspaper last week where Noddy Holder confirmed that every Christmas is a massive bonus to him as he also wrote the song as well as recording it.

However, the same article said Boney M only get about 0.2% of a penny, for "Mary's Boy Child" which was a huge hit for them. In this case it was originally a Harry Belafonte song and their contract also screwed them when their version is played!!!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Read an article in the newspaper last week where Noddy Holder confirmed that every Christmas is a massive bonus to him as he also wrote the song as well as recording it.

However, the same article said Boney M only get about 0.2% of a penny, for "Mary's Boy Child" which was a huge hit for them. In this case it was originally a Harry Belafonte song and their contract also screwed them when their version is played!!!

A friend of my wife was the lead singer with Clout, who sold over 10m records worldwide. Their manager screwed them over and ran off to Bermuda with all the money. She gets royalties now, but only after a long fight, but not much. Amazing how crooked the record business, and how easy it is to screw over the naive.

Good stuff re Slade though - even though that is one of the most annoying songs ever!

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Shane McGowern earns £ 200000 every Xmas from Fairytale of New York.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
Could probably guess where he spends alot of it as well!!!:drink::drink:

pipkin112

Aug 10, 2011
sompting
A friend of my wife was the lead singer with Clout, who sold over 10m records worldwide. Their manager screwed them over and ran off to Bermuda with all the money. She gets royalties now, but only after a long fight, but not much. Amazing how crooked the record business, and how easy it is to screw over the naive.

Did they sing Substitute? if they did , I remember them.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Think I heard on Heart that Holder get's £25 everytime it is played on the radio. As for Shane MacGowan, if he only gets £200k at xmas from Fairytale then what makes up the difference on his drinks bill!!!!

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs

Sir Cliff Doesn't get a penny from Mistletoe. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-25333691

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here