Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Neil Lennon condones diving

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25389846

Fair play to the bloke for admitting the ref got it right (to book his player for diving), but to then go on to say "It is a natural reaction (from Emilio), there was a leg dangled out and he went over it so I don't think I need to speak to him." suggests that he thinks that his player being booked for cheating is perfectly acceptable. I wonder what he'll say the next time an opponent wins a penalty by diving...

I realise that the moral purists of football are fighting a losing battle, but to have a manager come out and say that (even if they all think it) is setting a terrible example in my opinion.

To save you clicking the link:

Celtic boss Neil Lennon applauds caution for Emilio Izaguirre dive

Manager Neil Lennon praised referee Bobby Madden for correctly booking defender Emilio Izaguirre for diving during Celtic's 1-0 win over Hibs.

Lennon reacted angrily to the 76th-minute caution, earning a touchline talking to from Madden.

But on review he conceded the official had made the correct call.

"I got it wrong, he quite rightly booked Emilio," said Lennon. "It was an excellent refereeing decision and I thought he had a good game."

With Celtic leading thanks to a first-half strike from Teemu Pukki, Honduras international Izaguirre went tumbling in the opposition penalty box after going past defender Michael Nelson.

After Madden brandished a yellow card, Lennon threw his jacket off as he moved down the touchline venting his anger.

Celtic held on to take maximum points and, having seen a replay of the incident, Lennon was contrite, although Izaguirre escaped criticism.

"I thought it was a penalty but looking at it again it is clearly not so the referee got it spot on," he added.

"It is a natural reaction (from Emilio), there was a leg dangled out and he went over it so I don't think I need to speak to him."

I agree with you, but it's no surprise from Lennon, who was a nasty piece of work as a player and who is quite happy with the standard of referees until his team somehow manage to lose to one of the other part-time monkey tennis teams, at which point he goes apoplectic with rage and refuses to acknowledge any shortcomings from himself or his team in favour of berating the official (regardless of whether they got anything wrong or not).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here