Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Ashes,where do England go from here ?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
All I ask is that the next time we beat Australia by 347 runs (2nd Test Lords, July 2013, and yes we will beat them again), no one, and I mean NO ONE should say how sad it is to see Australia lose so heavily. Some of the rubbish written after that Test (Angus Fraser being one example but he wasn't the only one) was embarrassing; it was as if we'd just completed a twentieth straight series win as opposed to enjoying a small, transient period of superiority.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
I have the perfect relationship with cricket. I love watching us hammer the Aussies but have no real interest when we don't... I've not watched one ball of this series and frankly don't care.

Same with Rugby too.

Perfect!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
This ... while hanging their heads in shame. Even more embarrassingly whatever happened to our very own Matt Prior?, until now England's most dependable cricketer.

He needs some big innings to save his test career. It's all embarrassing, still think Root is not everything he is made out to be...... No positives at the moment.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Before this shambles started I emailed a friend - a pommy b*stard- and warned him that despite talk of a whitewash for England, we weren't all that good.

And me near the bottom of the NSC prediction table !

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I have the perfect relationship with cricket. I love watching us hammer the Aussies but have no real interest when we don't... I've not watched one ball of this series and frankly don't care.

Same with Rugby too.

Perfect!

Sums my attitude up perfectly. Right now the Ashes is a matter of passing interest only. However I've been glued to the telly watching the previous 3 series. Absolutely love to see the Aussies get beaten at anything (and their showing at the Olympics last year was pretty shoddy too) because they're such sore losers.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Well, It's not really a report report, it is more a news report, and, I think we all know what a mess we are in. It is not going to help much stating the blinkin obvious.

Maybe so,but if like many you like cricket,what do England need to change or do ?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Before this shambles started I emailed a friend - a pommy b*stard- and warned him that despite talk of a whitewash for England, we weren't all that good.

And me near the bottom of the NSC prediction table !

If you can email me too next time, you could have saved me making a right tit of myself.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
"Losing is part of the game," former England opener Geoffrey Boycott told Test Match Special. "It's how you lose the game that matters.

"There was just nothing there to lift the spirits of the supporters. The wheels are coming off, sadly. I never believed it but now I can feel it.

"It's a 5-0 drubbing coming. I will never say people aren't trying. I know they are. I have been there, I know what it's like. But it's not there. Their brains are scrambled."

I think Boycott has it right here. You can see it in the field how shot some of their minds are, when we were winning our fielding was brilliant but it just looks sloppy now.

On paper these two teams are fairly even, they haven't all become bad players overnight. I think it's just a perfect shitstorm of our top players losing form and their players being galvanised. Home advantage counts for so much in cricket and losing all 3 tosses hasn't helped either.

I think there is going to be a natural transition period now anyway, I'm sure Flower was always going to quit after this series whether we won or lost. I rekon Swann will retire as well - he just looks knackered. A couple of them need a rest - Prior for sure and probably Cook. There doesn't really need to be any knee jerk reactions, it's just a good time to give some different players a chance. I know this tour has been utter dogshit but these things happen, as Gus would probably say: "Tha' cri-ket"

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Maybe so,but if like many you like cricket,what do England need to change or do ?

I think there have been numerous suggestions on each Ashes Test thread. Some for the chop, some movement in the batting order, some younger players and a new captain.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Fast Bowling - Broad, Anderson etc have done fine - not their fault we don't have an all-out quick - we usually don't
Spin Bowling - Swann's best days are behind him - not many good alternative's but for now I would put Monty in
WicketKeeper - I think we may well see Joss Butler take over in the summer
Batting order - I think KP will retire soon - Ballance, Bairstow, Taylor are candidates to step up
Captain - I think Cook is part of the solution - not part of the problem

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
Given all the recent problems with match fixing and the staggering turnaround in form since the summer Ashes series it really doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out what is going on here. My bet is that it's fixed!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here