Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Went to Chelsea v Palace - Observations

Feb 14, 2010
Through work, I was asked to Chelsea and it was palace. So with a wry smile I agreed. Observations:-

Palace were not out of the game at all. They played well. Chelsea were in second gear and have some superb players with some quality touches, passes and shimmys. Chelsea were also sloppy on the ball and Palace were up for their big day. Do i think hey will go down? Heart says yes obviously, head says, not sure. Chelsea were average, Palace played well, and Palace have ground to gain, but I remember Brighton 10 point adrift of the 4th tier when Gritt took over so I think they have a chance.

Off the pitch well, football has changed. All that whooa whooa nonsense is grindingly embarrassing if you ask me and the palace did the old classic "gone to a library" thing. But in reality, it was a regulation day for Chelsea and although palace think they are a London club, clubs like Chelsea dont give a monkeys about them. After the game I was heading to a pub and walked past the Palace fans heading the other way. Well this is not anti Palace or a bad thing, but my mind did look back to a similar walk I had past the Brighton fans at Chesterfield years ago. Football has changed, the Palace fans were singing but I just thought as walking past them that they couldnt knock the skin off a rice pudding and were so, so different to following Brighton around the lower leagues and that day following at Chesterfield. That probably is just how football has changed.

Through work, I was asked to Chelsea and it was palace. So with a wry smile I agreed. Observations:-

Palace were not out of the game at all. They played well. Chelsea were in second gear and have some superb players with some quality touches, passes and shimmys. Chelsea were also sloppy on the ball and Palace were up for their big day. Do i think hey will go down? Heart says yes obviously, head says, not sure. Chelsea were average, Palace played well, and Palace have ground to gain, but I remember Brighton 10 point adrift of the 4th tier when Gritt took over so I think they have a chance.

Off the pitch well, football has changed. All that whooa whooa nonsense is grindingly embarrassing if you ask me and the palace did the old classic "gone to a library" thing. But in reality, it was a regulation day for Chelsea and although palace think they are a London club, clubs like Chelsea dont give a monkeys about them. After the game I was heading to a pub and walked past the Palace fans heading the other way. Well this is not anti Palace or a bad thing, but my mind did look back to a similar walk I had past the Brighton fans at Chesterfield years ago. Football has changed, the Palace fans were singing but I just thought as walking past them that they couldnt knock the skin off a rice pudding and were so, so different to following Brighton around the lower leagues and that day following at Chesterfield. That probably is just how football has changed.

:lolol:
Back to watching your 1st choice team on a Saturday, Tell the F'king truth

Last edited:

ArfurW8

May 22, 2009
Fort Neef
WCP, yes football has changed,as you don't attend much you probably notice the change more than most. For those that attend more often the change has been over a number of years so it is not quite as harsh for us as it is for you.
As for the whooa whooa thing, it's just a song (I don't like it either) only a song.I find it no more embarrassing than watching 50 year old blokes in the right "clobber" thinking they are hard,jesters hats,painted faces,full kit wankers,goal music,Spanish day,clackers,glow sticks,goalscorer callback etc.
Just accept that we all get something different from our football experiences and there is no right way or wrong way to enjoy it.

raba

Jun 9, 2013
You're right WCP, we did play well & we had to comparing our squad to theirs. Their bench was ridiculous.

On th note of football changing off the pitch, I started going to football as a kid in the 80s & I like the fact that you can go to an away match, feel relatively safe as long as you behave yourself & can enjoy the atmosphere without thinking you're going to end up in hospital.

Like the way you support your team, each to their own, just like if your idea of a fun day out is to swerve the match & enjoy a good old punch up.

Feb 14, 2010
WCP, yes football has changed,as you don't attend much you probably notice the change more than most. For those that attend more often the change has been over a number of years so it is not quite as harsh for us as it is for you.
As for the whooa whooa thing, it's just a song (I don't like it either) only a song.I find it no more embarrassing than watching 50 year old blokes in the right "clobber" thinking they are hard,jesters hats,painted faces,full kit wankers,goal music,Spanish day,clackers,glow sticks,goalscorer callback etc.
Just accept that we all get something different from our football experiences and there is no right way or wrong way to enjoy it.

Add goal music, drums, cheerleaders and something I noticed yesterday, huge flags on a pole waved by somebody when a goal is scored. As for the Chelsea experience well its obviously right that Chelsea has changed no end ! I suppose I was with work crowd but there did seem to be lots of actual tourists (no joke) . That seemed a bit odd but I suppose they are a global brand and Chelsea is a nice part of London to visit. I think Palace have a chance of staying up.

Feb 14, 2010
So how was the Chelsea 'experience'? Personally I can't think of a ground I'd want to visit less. Awful club with even more awful, and truly plastic, fans

The Chelsea fans I remember visiting the Goldstone in the 1980s are certainly different to the lot I saw yesterday ! Most people seemed either on a work do or were tourists or couples, but that was probably just the area of the ground I was in.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The Chelsea fans I remember visiting the Goldstone in the 1980s are certainly different to the lot I saw yesterday ! Most people seemed either on a work do or were tourists or couples, but that was probably just the area of the ground I was in.

I think that is what it's like at the "big" clubs in the prem. Liverpool was full of tourists too.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012

You still cant resist snide remarks can yer . The past is just that mate THE PAST and unfortunalty for you football has changed . Why you dont give brighton your hard earned i dont know .

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Bit off topic but why would any football fan want to "Knock the skin off a rice pudding"? :)
And continuing from the fans are not as 'ard as they used to be theme......................have you seen our supporters lately?:blush: More likely to eat rice pudding than knock the skin off it!!:eek: *

* I know where you are coming from BTW

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I think that is what it's like at the "big" clubs in the prem. Liverpool was full of tourists too.
Liverpool are mostly supported by Norwiegians. Most actual scousers support Everton.

ArfurW8

May 22, 2009
Fort Neef

Were you in the West stand?
East Upper and Matthew Harding are ok.

Feb 14, 2010
I have seen Brighton away a few times and wouldnt agree with you. You still see groups of lads both young and old following Brighton. At home, well when you get 27,000 at home then that element will be less visible but away I still notice them. I think lower league football is more like that in general.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Liverpool are mostly supported by Norwiegians. Most actual scousers support Everton.

Thats what its like up there now cheshire . In our hotel there were groups of irish , norwiegians and groups of guys who just had no real passion for liverpool . Around the ground were groups of tourists ( i agree with wcp's point there ) who were taking photos and they carried on with this during the game with minimal singing and atmosphere . What ive seen this season there is greater passion in the championship with a better quality of fan . Norwich , for instance , was a good day out but alougth the norwich fans were all local they were totally passionless who viewed the game as a day out at a country fair with hog roasts thrown in . Football has changed and i guess you have to go with it but at least at palace we are hanging on to the notion of how to support your team properly .

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
I have seen Brighton away a few times and wouldnt agree with you. You still see groups of lads both young and old following Brighton. At home, well when you get 27,000 at home then that element will be less visible but away I still notice them. I think lower league football is more like that in general.

Agree with you. It has all been diluted though, like you say in 27000 it is less visible and the faces from the past are reduced to posturing and finger pointing, which has to be a good thing to attract the majority of football fans who like to enjoy the occasion and not be intimidated. Sign of the times, football and society has moved forward.

Feb 14, 2010
Thats what its like up there now cheshire . In our hotel there were groups of irish , norwiegians and groups of guys who just had no real passion for liverpool . Around the ground were groups of tourists ( i agree with wcp's point there ) who were taking photos and they carried on with this during the game with minimal singing and atmosphere . What ive seen this season there is greater passion in the championship with a better quality of fan . Norwich , for instance , was a good day out but alougth the norwich fans were all local they were totally passionless who viewed the game as a day out at a country fair with hog roasts thrown in . Football has changed and i guess you have to go with it but at least at palace we are hanging on to the notion of how to support your team properly .

I think you are trying, I will give you that but you do have to get rid of the lad with the drum, goal music and its just true that you do have to turn up for midweek championship matches as well as Premier league games

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
I think you are trying, I will give you that but you do have to get rid of the lad with the drum, goal music and its just true that you do have to turn up for midweek championship matches as well as Premier league games

I think you have to agree though WCP they make more noise per head than we do, and it pains me to admit it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here