@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Here is Albion's record after 20 matches in each of the last two seasons:-

2222222222222222222 HOME 2222222222222 AWAY
2222222222222 Pos 2P 2W D 1L 2F 2A 2W 1D 1L 1F A Pts
2012-13 Albion: 8th 20 14 14 12 15 17 14 13 13 12 12 31
2013-14 Albion: 8th 20 14 13 13 17 12 14 14 12 18 16 31

So, an almost identical position. This season there has been one more loss (and one less draw) at home, with exactly the reciprocal away from home. Garcia's version of the Albion have scored 2 goals fewer, but also conceded 1 goal fewer. Perhaps the most impressive thing about this season has been the defensive strength on the road, with 6 clean sheets out of 10 matches and only 6 goals conceded.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Consider the injuries and Garcia bedding in period and we have every reason to be optimistic of a top 6 finish .

We have real strength in depth now and with the next 3 looking winnable I would fancy us beIng well in the top 6 at the turn of the year

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
So who do we want to lose to in the play-offs this time?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
This is really interesting info. One thing to remember about last season is that we were much better in the second half than in the first half, so we really will have to build on the momentum of the recent run of form, and use the squad effectively now players are coming back from injury and, hopefully, into form and fitness. I'm looking forward to seeing how Oscar handles the squad if, as we all hope, he has the vast majority of players available in the second half of the season.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Consider the injuries and Garcia bedding in period and we have every reason to be optimistic of a top 6 finish .

We have real strength in depth now and with the next 3 looking winnable I would fancy us beIng well in the top 6 at the turn of the year

Our problem is that when we are in a position to make a move into the play off positions we tend to f.k up lets hope it doesnt happen again this season.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's almost as if we were a quality team, good enough to finish fourth.
Then by keeping the bulk of that team together we have remained a quality team.

What are the chances of that?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Oddly, I find myself a lot more relaxed about things this season. Perhaps my expectations are lower, or perhaps it's because I'm not looking at the season with that same crushing feeling of inevitability that we'll lose to Palace in the play offs, but things just seem that bit more laid back. It's strangely almost satisfying being under the radar.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
This is really interesting info. One thing to remember about last season is that we were much better in the second half than in the first half, so we really will have to build on the momentum of the recent run of form, and use the squad effectively now players are coming back from injury and, hopefully, into form and fitness. I'm looking forward to seeing how Oscar handles the squad if, as we all hope, he has the vast majority of players available in the second half of the season.

Indeed; however, the decent form last season was really over the final 17 league games.

From match no. 21 through 29, our record was 2 wins, 5 draws and 2 defeats, so if Oscar can keep anything like the current form going we have an opportunity to ensure we are very well-placed for the final 3rd of the season.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oddly, I find myself a lot more relaxed about things this season. Perhaps my expectations are lower, or perhaps it's because I'm not looking at the season with that same crushing feeling of inevitability that we'll lose to Palace in the play offs, but things just seem that bit more laid back. It's strangely almost satisfying being under the radar.
Maybe it's the calmer, thoughtful, analytically approach from Oscar that's keeping you and many others on a more even keel.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
I said it at the start of the season and i will say it again. 2nd, although on reflection, is the injured "star" players make the difference to the team that they should, the way the Championship is, I can still see us winning it!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Maybe it's the calmer, thoughtful, analytically approach from Oscar that's keeping you and many others on a more even keel.

Maybe. He doesn't say a lot. But I do find it quite refreshing not having to listen to the manager selling himself to every other club on the market, or ranting about things he can't control. Poyet did a lot of great stuff. He was a huge drama queen though and the media lapped it up (witness his Suarez comments), so whenever he said anything controversial, the whole world had to know about it.

Can't see Oscar shouting the odds to his mates in the press.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
points comparison 13.12.14.jpg

pos comparison 13.12.14.jpg

result comparison 13.12.14.jpg

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

True, I haven't seen or heard a single meltdown all season from Oscar. He walks around the technical area studying the grass and seldom looks stressed. It really is an unusual trait for a Latin manager.

I am loving the positive substitutions rather than shutting up shop and hanging on.

Maybe Oscar's calm demeanour is rubbing off on the fans

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

Same

Looked at the table this eve and worked out if lose next one could go as low as 10th . Was reasonably happy to even entertain this thought .

Certainly less pressure and expectancy

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Maybe. He doesn't say a lot. But I do find it quite refreshing not having to listen to the manager selling himself to every other club on the market, or ranting about things he can't control. Poyet did a lot of great stuff. He was a huge drama queen though and the media lapped it up (witness his Suarez comments), so whenever he said anything controversial, the whole world had to know about it.

Can't see Oscar shouting the odds to his mates in the press.
It is odd, I loved Gus, and lapped everything up.
It was great that we had a media presence, we were talked about, etc.
I still 100% think Gus was the right man for the job, and am a little gutted were still not 'playing those games'.

But then Oscar rocks up, and it's Gus who.

Oscar will be the managerial legend (not necessarily with us) that Gus will never quite be, and knowing Gus we know that's gonna burn.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
True, I haven't seen or heard a single meltdown all season from Oscar. He walks around the technical area studying the grass and seldom looks stressed. It really is an unusual trait for a Latin manager.

I am loving the positive substitutions rather than shutting up shop and hanging on.

Maybe Oscar's calm demeanour is rubbing off on the fans
For me OG does have all the 'usual trait for a Latin manager', but it's all just, and only just, under the surface.
I don't see him ever being 'challenged' in any dressing room, or losing his players respect.
Mainly thought leadership, loyalty, ability etc, but I can't help thinking that's all held together with a good old fashioned dose of MENTALS.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It is odd, I loved Gus, and lapped everything up.
It was great that we had a media presence, we were talked about, etc.
I still 100% think Gus was the right man for the job, and am a little gutted were still not 'playing those games'.

But then Oscar rocks up, and it's Gus who.

Oscar will be the managerial legend (not necessarily with us) that Gus will never quite be, and knowing Gus we know that's gonna burn.

Gus laid the foundations but Oscar is building the superstructure.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here