Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glenfinnan viaduct.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I am not a 'rail buff' but have donated to the Bluebell and enjoy it there,also i take some pleasure in admiring Victorian engineering and buildings. I have only seen Glenfinnan Viaduct on film althought Ribbleshead in real time. Quite simply is it worth a visit ? :bigwave:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP4t4b47w8g

Ok it has been popularised by the Harry Potter films but in my opinion yes it is a decent bit of engineering especially (like Ribblehead, which is very impressive) when you consider the harsh environment and conditions under which it was originally built and has endured over the years. I haven't been over it by train but have paused there a couple of times when touring the West coast of Scotland. The location is stunning if you are lucky with the weather and good light which makes the combined view down the Loch and Bonnie Prince Charlie monument in the background. A camera is a must.

Of course its a heck of a long way, (even from Leek) but once there its not far from Fort William and Ben Nevis and plenty of other interesting places to visit plus the general scenery and coastline is great, which all makes the effort worthwhile.

The mind boggles at the human effort to build railway lines (or any other infrastructure) up there and they deserve to be appreciated.

Went there a few years ago and also went over it on the "Jacobite" - Also flew over it with the family in the Harry Potter Ford Anglia (Courtesy of CGI at the Studio Tour). Haven't you got a few impressive viaducts in you neck of the woods - what is the name of the disused (but still standing) one on the former Matlock - Buxton route?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
The village of Glenfinnan, on the shores of Loch Shiel....

(Points for anyone who gets the reference)

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Actually was thinking of a few days in the Springtime in that part of Scotland (with MrsLBG) Googling is one thing,but i also like to ask like say here for opinons /advice/info etc.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I am not a 'rail buff' but have donated to the Bluebell and enjoy it there,also i take some pleasure in admiring Victorian engineering and buildings. I have only seen Glenfinnan Viaduct on film althought Ribbleshead in real time. Quite simply is it worth a visit ? :bigwave:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP4t4b47w8g

If you like impressive viaducts, I would nominate the Garabit Viaduct on the French equivalent of the Settle to Carlisle Railway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garabit_viaduct

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
The Fort William area is a brilliant place for a holiday - and the train to Mallaig is marvelous. Skye, the Talisker, Mull, and Fingals Cave.

But if in Fort William in football season, don't expect to see the "Fort" winning at home.

Or drawing.

Jimmy Come Lately

Registered Loser
Oct 27, 2011
Hove
I've been to Fort William three times and taken the "Jacobite" steam train to Mallaig twice. Admittedly the second time was because I was on holiday with a friend whose kids were of the age to be very into Harry Potter, but I didn't take much persuading to do it again.

Because of the length and the curvature you get a real sense of being on the viaduct when you go over it. You can get photos like this without even really trying:

Jacobite_Glenfinnan_viaduct.jpeg

Bear in mind that you don't have to pay the tourist prices for the steam train because there are scheduled Scotrail services on the line. I must that I haven't made the trip out from Fort William to admire the viaduct from the ground, but I suspect it's even more impressive up close.

If you can travel up to Fort William by train I recommend that as well. There are parts of the climb over Rannoch Moor where the railway line is so far from any roads or signs of habitation that you might as well be on the moon. In this densely populated country I found it a shock to feel so remote from civilization.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Though impressive, the one that should have been saved was the bridge over Hartington Road on the Kemp Town branch - diagonal brickwork was the most amazing example of the brickies' art I've ever seen.

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
Visited this stunner recently - not a viaduct but an aqueduct. How the hell did the Romans do stuff like this pre-industrialisation? The finish on it is still amazing apart from some Victorian 'Grand Tour' graffiti.

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
Quite simply is it worth a visit ?

Yes, yes, yes and yes.

The West Highland Line to Glenfinnan (and on to Mallaig) has been voted the best in the world more than once: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/8500396.stm

There's not much in Glenfinnan itself (though the Glenfinnan House Hotel on the lochside is wonderful, and last time I was there we went on a boat trip on the loch, spotted golden eagles and then watched the steam train coming in on our way back. One of the best (non-sporting) days I've ever had.

More generally, the scenery is incredible, and as others have said the whole region is a fantastic place to visit. I go up that way a lot en route to Muck and Eigg and it's wonderful. Suggestions if you're spending a few days up that way:

Fort William isn't particularly nice so if I were you I'd base myself elsewhere. Mallaig is OK (and gets quite lively when there are a few fishing boats in, sadly a rarity these days). Arisaig is a stunning village and a good place to stay - the Arisaig Hotel has recently reopened, not sure what it's like, but lots of locals do good B&B. And you can take a boat (the Sheerwater) from Arisaig out to the Small Isles - which I'd thoroughly recommend. Eigg and Rum are the most dramatic to look at, but I can personally recommend Muck (you might even see me there if you're really unlucky).

Alternatively, you can head up to Mallaig and get the bigger and more salubrious Calmac ferry to the Small Isles. Calmac also sail from Mallaig to Armadale on Skye, and have just added a route to Lochboisdale on South Uist (never been there but will try it one of these days).

If you're breaking your journey on the way, the Bridge of Orchy Hotel is good and only a couple of minutes' walk from the station. If you're a properly intrepid walking type then you can do that from one of the remote stations around Rannoch Moor - the train goes off over the moor, miles away from the road, so it's about as remote an area as you can get to by just hopping off a train.

Last thing - with pretty much all of the above, it only really applies in summer, or at least from around April to late September. Many of the tourist boats and facilities, and some of the hotels, don't operate in the winter.

Sorry for the extended response, but it's a subject close to my heart, and you did ask...

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The Road to the Isles is beautiful anyway. Unfortunately when we went earlier this year (end of May) it was 2oC with fog and snow showers all week.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK

Well worth the visit. The run from Glasgow to Oban and Fort William is fabulous, best taken in the late Spring early Summer before the deadly midge and when the days are long. The Fort William to Mallaig line is gorgeous too, especially on the steam train that periodically runs the line.

TNBA

TTF

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here