Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Insane Man Buries Record Collection

Jan 6, 2013
Man, 65, Buries Over 1,000 Vinyls & CD's After Discovering 'The Perfect Album'

Norman Selby, 65, a grey and balding old rocker and a man who amassed a behemoth of a record collection over the years, a few days ago decided to hold a 'funeral service' in his back garden and invited friends and family while he threw his entire Vinyl and CD collection into the ground and buried them forever. The reason why? After years of searching Norman believes he has found the Holy Grail of albums (AVATARIUM's self titled debut) Norman explains " I am a man who has spent a heck of a lot of money on albums over the decades and i really LOVE music, everything from Amon Amarth to Joe Loss and His Orchestra and i have had favourite albums. Dark Side Of The Moon (Pink Floyd) and Sgt Pepper (The Beatles) always stood out because of the Color,the storytelling, the out of this worldness that they had. Now i'm a total freak, i've listened to absolutely everything over the years but the second I heard AVATARIUM, which i thought was gonna be weak Candlemass by the way (Ex-members of Candlemass are now in Avatarium) i was blown away, it took over my body and mind, you'll think i'm making this up but it was like an out of body experience.This is REAL Psychedelia, It felt like The Beatles and Floyd had lied to me so they were the first records to go in and as much as i loved them i don't and i won't miss them at all. Music means everything to me and i never thought i'd be around for 'thee album' Lyrically it is magical, musically it can't be beat and i don't care if people think i'm crazy but this is what i had to do". Normans friends filmed the 'funeral' service and have said they will upload it to youtube in the coming days.
Norman insists he has never met anyone from the band or record company and that this is NOT some kind of publicity stunt, rumours within the close knit community where he lives* that he was suffering from a nervous breakdown after going through a divorce and being made redundant a few years ago were also denied by Mr Selby.
So don't ever let anyone tell you that albums are a dying art or that nobody buys music anymore. But is Norman passionate or crazy. Let us know your views

*Mr Selby asked for us not to name the area where he lives in this article

By JEREMY O'DERMOTT
PUBLISHED: 13:33, 03 December 2013 | UPDATED: 16:08, 05 December 2013
8 View
comments

Have bookmarked it in Spotify and will give it a listen. Wouldn't by any chance be a publicity stunt for the band? Also see this review http://www.metalinjection.net/reviews/quick-review-avatarium-avatarium Black Sabbath fronted by Adele WTF!!!

Personally I would have got rid of the CD's on Music Magpie and tried to get something for the vinyl.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I instantly warm to anyone that passionate about music but I think if I lost my music collection then I might just die of a broken heart. No idea how much it's worth in pounds and pence but it's as much a part of me as supporting Brighton, it's that important.

As an aside, I don't get how people do music just in non-physical format. To me it's like being a footie fan but only ever watching it on telly. You're missing a huge part of being a music fan. I can't browse iTunes in the same way as running your eye over a stack of CDs/records looking for something to play. I guess that's just me though, I know Wozza and Wilko both converted their music collection to digital a few years back and both are proper music nerds like me.

Jan 6, 2013
I instantly warm to anyone that passionate about music but I think if I lost my music collection then I might just die of a broken heart. No idea how much it's worth in pounds and pence but it's as much a part of me as supporting Brighton, it's that important.

As an aside, I don't get how people do music just in non-physical format. To me it's like being a footie fan but only ever watching it on telly. You're missing a huge part of being a music fan. I can't browse iTunes in the same way as running your eye over a stack of CDs/records looking for something to play. I guess that's just me though, I know Wozza and Wilko both converted their music collection to digital a few years back and both are proper music nerds like me.

this post warmed my cockles. My Vinyl and CD's are like my children. Also i listened to Avatarium and one song MOONHORSE i thought was brilliant but the rest of them were just kinda average, definately not the best album ever

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton

So completely agree. Many I know have all their music digital but it just leaves me cold. If I listen to an album I have to handle the vinyl or CD and keep reading the notes etc.. Just feels right to me, this way.

So completely agree. Many I know have all their music digital but it just leaves me cold. If I listen to an album I have to handle the vinyl or CD and keep reading the notes etc.. Just feels right to me, this way.

Conversely I have no problem at all with digital and don't think any less of the music that I listen to because it isn't in "physical" form. Vinyl went well over 10 years ago and CD's about a year ago. I have kept a handful of both media for sentimental reasons and listen to everything via Spotify. Download occasionally but I guess 75% of what I want to listen to is on Spotify. I find that it encourages dipping into genre that I probably wouldn't have thought of listening to if I had to pay for a CD on an offchance and I like to shuffle play the library and hear what pops up. I work from home so the £9.99 pm to me is an absolute bargain!

Back on thread, just listening to the Avatarium album. Strong Spinal Tap influence, "Sword and Sorcery" lyrics - "...mother, are there Tigers in the sea..." (no, there aren't) is a brief example. Female singer sounds nothing like Adele, do I detect a Scandinavian accent? I regret that this rock style leaves me a bit cold - see also stuff like Dream Theater, Edenbridge (not named after the Kent town apparently, they are Austrian and also have a female vocalist) and their ilk.

...And Mr.Selby, I think you have been a bit of a prat frankly.

He should have buried the Avatarium album and kept the rest

Halfway through track 2, "Pandora's Egg". My considered view is that the album is shite and agree with my esteemed colleague of the board above.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
Conversely I have no problem at all with digital and don't think any less of the music that I listen to because it isn't in "physical" form. Vinyl went well over 10 years ago and CD's about a year ago. I have kept a handful of both media for sentimental reasons and listen to everything via Spotify. Download occasionally but I guess 75% of what I want to listen to is on Spotify. I find that it encourages dipping into genre that I probably wouldn't have thought of listening to if I had to pay for a CD on an offchance and I like to shuffle play the library and hear what pops up. I work from home so the £9.99 pm to me is an absolute bargain.

...And Mr.Selby, I think you have been a bit of a prat frankly.

This.

I sold my vinyl a few years back and all my CDs reside in the loft, new ones go to live there once they've been loaded into itunes. My iPod lives in my car and at home we use Spotify. I don't miss the tactile nature of the covers half as much as I thought I would and it hasn't altered my enjoyment of my music collection.

As an exercise in decluttering it was so cathartic I got rid of all my paperbacks and replaced them with a Kindle as well.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
You can't beat a classic vinyl album on your stereo. Avatarium sounds a bit ploddy to me though.
And the story sounds about as fake as they come too - poor effort.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
I hate digital music, I love the whole experience of buying CDs and vinyl and then placing them into my collection. I dont quite know what to think of this story!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here