Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Could we influence Sky?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Following up on a thought in another thread. If enough people thought that Sky was a malign force in football would it be possible to persuade enough people to cancel their sky sports subscription to actually affect sky's influence over football? I have a subscription and watch football and cricket. But if I felt that stopping would mean that tv companies couldn't pay as much for coverage and in doing so wage inflation would fall and many clubs might avoid the meltdown that feels it is coming, I'd stop.

I really do feel that we're storing up massive problems on the back of the money that slops in to football from broadcasters. Could we fight back and save our game?

I'd be willing to have a go. After all, this non stop football coverage is only a recent thing.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Pie in the SKY.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
You stop subscribing to Sky and they lose their sports channels.

It all just hops over to BT with the same insane money and worse staff.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Following up on a thought in another thread. If enough people thought that Sky was a malign force in football would it be possible to persuade enough people to cancel their sky sports subscription to actually affect sky's influence over football? I have a subscription and watch football and cricket. But if I felt that stopping would mean that tv companies couldn't pay as much for coverage and in doing so wage inflation would fall and many clubs might avoid the meltdown that feels it is coming, I'd stop.

I really do feel that we're storing up massive problems on the back of the money that slops in to football from broadcasters. Could we fight back and save our game?

I'd be willing to have a go. After all, this non stop football coverage is only a recent thing.

You state that you believe the money flowing from the broadcasters into the game is a massive problem, helping to cause wage inflation; and yet you have a subscription anyway? And you only seem willing to cancel it if other people agree with you?

Man up and have the courage of your own convictions. As it stands, you are helping to cause the very problem you are concerned about. You can't have your cake AND eat it. And if you decide NOT to cancel your subscription, I hope you never have the audacity to moan about player wage inflation ever again.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
yes, you could, but not enough people will follow to make a difference. recall how people think BT getting footbal rights is somehow an increase in price, because they must have all football. people who pay for sky sports want sky sports and dont really worry about the effects it has on the game (which maybe overstated).

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

TRHK might have been referring to one of my comments. I'm not quite sure what your problem is with. It could be one of these:
-- the way in which football is now experienced, which has shifted over the last few decades from attending games to watching at a distance on TVs, computers, big screens in pubs, etc which, in turn, is linked to …
-- … the globalisation of football, whereby football is a global business with a global audience and, therefore, the connection between club and local community becomes more tenuous (on this, I was on holiday in Wales this summer, and I saw more young kids wearing Barcelona and Real Madrid shirts than Chelsea, United, Liverpool, Arsenal)
-- the power of broadcasting over fans
-- the sheer volume of coverage available on Sky and elsewhere (on this, David Mitchell did a very funny sketch)
-- Murdoch/Sky
-- players' wage inflation, their disconnect from fans and community
Can't think of anything else at the mo.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
You state that you believe the money flowing from the broadcasters into the game is a massive problem, helping to cause wage inflation; and yet you have a subscription anyway? And you only seem willing to cancel it if other people agree with you?

Man up and have the courage of your own convictions. As it stands, you are helping to cause the very problem you are concerned about. You can't have your cake AND eat it. And if you decide NOT to cancel your subscription, I hope you never have the audacity to moan about player wage inflation ever again.

I'm not sure you're being fair here. TRHK may well spend more on B&HA than on Sky and, by your logic here, this would mean that he'd have to stop this too.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I'm not sure you're being fair here. TRHK may well spend more on B&HA than on Sky and, by your logic here, this would mean that he'd have to stop this too.

TRHK has stated that he believes there is a direct link between the money broadcasters pour into football, and football wage inflation.

He also has a subscription to the broadcaster who pours the most money into football.

His actions are directly enabling the very behaviour he is decrying.

How am I arguing that he should stop spending money on BHA?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Said the biggest dick on NSC. Good point WELL made. Thanks as EVER for your contribution.

For God's sake don't encourage him!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here