Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ban on Heading

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25362744

Banning heading sounds totally ridiculous...but could arguably help the long-term development of youth football. By cutting out heading we'd be forced to keep kids' pitches small and focus on the technical side of the game as opposed to 'kick it long to the big boy up front' ?

Thoughts?

I'm not sure if I'm for/against because heading is/was my favourite thing when I was a kid and at present...just thinking of ways a ban could help progress?

Coach_Carter_92

Apr 25, 2013
Home
I don't know about others, but every session I have done we very rarely work on heading with children, especially seeing as younger children can barely kick the ball off of the ground anyway! Besides, if you actually watch most children when the ball is up in the air they move away from it, not try to head it.

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
I wouldn't support it so much for health benefits, but we regularly played under head height so we had to get the ball down and play football, and not hoof it up for a flick on.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
There are several lawsuits going against the NFL regarding continuos clash of heads and looks like the NFL will settle as well.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Seems a bit bizarre to me. It's part of the game. Never did me any harm in the Soccer Skill Tests ( was that what they were called ? ).

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
I think what I want is for kids to play on pitches relative to their size. I remember playing a youth game once and was really intimidated by the size of the pitch but it's what we had to play on. Just don't want our kids' development to fall even further behind Spain and other countries who keep the pitches relative to focus on technical training and how to actually play football.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Utterly ridiculous. Ban heading and it won't stop there. What is this world coming to.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Oh Jesus H Christ on an bike here we go again, do gooders and health mentalists at it again !!
Where is this nonsense going to end really ?
We are already breeding a nation of sickly kids who are so prone to disease etc etc because they "can't run in the playground, can't play conkers, can't play in the mud, can't do this can't do that !!!
Mental absolutely mental:wanker:
GRRRRRRRRRRRR !!!

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Didn't Jeff Astle have problems related to heading footballs throughout his career. Mind you, this was a while ago when footballs were footballs.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
It's one thing for adults to know the risks, and rewards, and give informed consent.
Whether it's just Park Life, or Goodison Park, you're a grown-up it's your call.
But kids having those decisions made for them? It's troubling.

Not saying there are good or easy answers, but it's not like there are no questions.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Oh Jesus H Christ on an bike here we go again, do gooders and health mentalists at it again !!
Where is this nonsense going to end really ?
We are already breeding a nation of sickly kids who are so prone to disease etc etc because they "can't run in the playground, can't play conkers, can't play in the mud, can't do this can't do that !!!
Mental absolutely mental:wanker:
GRRRRRRRRRRRR !!!

This guy knows.

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
Dixie Dean will be turning in his grave. There is a lot of skill in being a good header of the ball. In some ways the header is already relic of the past - nowhere near as many strong headerers of the ball these days as in times past.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
adds more fuel to my theory that they are desperately trying to turn the greatest game on earth into a girls game FFS
it will be wearing fluffy slippers next

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It would make defending even more difficult and can you imagine how much abuse forwards would get when they ducked out of a perfect cross. What a shit idea, might as well just ban football.

Would heading become optional for adult players who thought they might get brain damage?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here