Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

First post..be gentle! old Albion players...

scoobieschmuck

Dec 11, 2013
Hi guys, this is my first post here and I'm glad to be amongst friends.

The question I wanted to ask was which ex-Albion player do you think never fulfilled their potential?
I am now related to one and heard he was good but even he said he wasted his talent.. btw, he is in his early 50's now.
I'll reveal who if I don't hear terrible things...haha

All the best and Merry Christmas in advance.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
First few that come to me.

Robert Codner
Leon Knight
Ian Chapman (great for us, but perhaps should have moved on earlier in his career especially as the club went backwards)
Jake Robinson

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Gary Stevens - even though he was good, he could have been better if uninjured.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Nicky Rust. Looked great when we first got him from Arsenal (?) was injured for a while, came back and went downhill rapidly.

Mark Gall - injury cut short one of my favourite Albion player's career.

Jeff Minton, looked destined for great things when he went to Port Vale after having shone for us, never happened.

Rod Thomas, so much skill, never really made it.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Nicky Bissett, looked great but then suffered a broken leg and was never the same player again.

Could say the same for Adam Hinshelwood. Called up to England U21 squad, but injury prevented him from going and knee problems got rapidly worse leading to him returning early.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I really do feel Codner could have been something special had he applied himself.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I always thought that Adam Hinshelwood looked like a fantastic prospect, but he was unlucky with injury.

I would also agree with the Jake Robinson comment by Giraffe - although labeling him 'South coast Rooney' probably didn't help.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Kerry Mayo - could have been the best left back we've ever had, but he wasn't.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Also - the OP did say he's in his early 50's............... So Leon Knight and Jake Robinson are a little young to fit the bill.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I always thought that Adam Hinshelwood looked like a fantastic prospect, but he was unlucky with injury.

I would also agree with the Jake Robinson comment by Giraffe - although labeling him 'South coast Rooney' probably didn't help.

Thought it was South Coast Owen?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Kevin McGarrigle, I seem to remember him being widely priased and tipped in 442 magazine to be one for the future.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Out of all the ones mentioned the only one i would say is Leon Knight. He had the talent no doubt but completely wasted it.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Robert Isaac He was class

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here