Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] japanese cinema

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
Isn't this made by Gaspar Noe ?Don't know his nationality , but based on Irreversible I assume he is French. Liked the concept of Irreversible , but could not see how a horrific overly long and brutal rape scene could be justified in that or any other film. .... Chucked the DVD in the bin rather than take it to a charity shop and let someone else be subjected to it. The most disturbing and harrowing film I have ever seen .

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
Just watched the trailer . Looks interesting from a head f**k psychadelic experience point of view and has shades of Trainspotting , but there do seem to be harrowing scenes involving a young child and therefore based on my experience with Irreversible, I think I will have to give this a swerve .

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
looks interesting and will probably give this a watch

any other japanese cinema i should be seeing? always enjoyed some of the more headcase-esque movies ive seen, such as ichi the killer and suicide club, but i havent really got any further than that

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Trying to think of that totally mental Japanese film my lent me about 3/4 years ago.
it was real sick stuff about a guy who kidnaps young teens off the street and does awful things to them like experiments with their pain thresholds etc.
It began with S if i remember.
It wasn't a snuff or illegal film it was a proper released film over the world but they wouldn't allow it here not surprised either.
Not something I would ever want to see again !

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
my son introduced me to a Japanese cartoon/film genre known I think as "echie"
Not sure how I should view his certainty I would enjoy it.....???

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I have a few asian cinema movies, not sure which ones are specifically Japanese, which are Korean, Honk Kong etc., but have both the live action and the anime feature versions of Ichi. Battle Royale is a classic. The Happiness of the Katakuris is mad. It has been described as The Sound of Music meets Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Audition is great. It is deliberately low key for the first hour or so, but gets intense for the last 40. I love the japanese versions of the Ring/Ringu. Dark Water was very good. Oldboy is also very good (not seen the remake yet).

If you want classic films away from head mess movies Ran, Rashoman, Yojimbo, Seven Samurai, Ikiru, In the Mood for Love.

Gibli Studios are well loved, though not really my thing. Spirited Away, Grave of the Fireflies, Castle in the Sky, My Neighbour Totoro.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I have a few asian cinema movies, not sure which ones are specifically Japanese, which are Korean, Honk Kong etc., but have both the live action and the anime feature versions of Ichi. Battle Royale is a classic. The Happiness of the Katakuris is mad. It has been described as The Sound of Music meets Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Audition is great. It is deliberately low key for the first hour or so, but gets intense for the last 40. I love the japanese versions of the Ring/Ringu. Dark Water was very good. Oldboy is also very good (not seen the remake yet).

If you want classic films away from head mess movies Ran, Rashoman, Yojimbo, Seven Samurai, Ikiru, In the Mood for Love.

Gibli Studios are well loved, though not really my thing. Spirited Away, Grave of the Fireflies, Castle in the Sky, My Neighbour Totoro.
Great film, and really enjoyed Nighy in the remake Living.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I saw the new Kore Ada film(made Afterlife, Shoplifters, a few other excellent films).
Called Broker, set in Korea with the lead from Parasite. It was very good, if not his best, about people dealing in stolen babies( oddly it was warm and funny)

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel

I hope you never got round to seeing the remake of Oldboy, what an absolute steaming pile of shite.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I hope you never got round to seeing the remake of Oldboy, what an absolute steaming pile of shite.
I've still not seen the original (seen the first 5 minutes) but looking forward to it, hopefully soon

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here