Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southwick Tunnel - AVOID !

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Southwick Tunnel and the A27 is subject to travel chaos AGAIN, Westbound with 3 seperate accidents in and around the Tunnel.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It's a badly designed road....and as it's a nuclear arms bunker, it gets a bit slippery with all the leaking plutonium over the roads.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Broken down vehicle I heard.

Not that I care. I breezed past on the Eastbound side. There's something vaguely satisfying about doing that.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Broken down vehicle I heard.

Not that I care. I breezed past on the Eastbound side. There's something vaguely satisfying about doing that.

A car hit the central reservation. Two cars then collided in the queue. Then half an hour later two more cars collided further down near Portslade.

I was going to post a thread about the A27. I only passed my test earlier this year and I drive this road twice a day, through Southwick tunnel, and for the life of me I can't work out why there are so many accidents, let alone people that have probably driven a lot longer than me.

Just this week alone I've been delayed 3 times by sirens all on a tiny stretch of road by Southwick tunnel. The above, one due to a collision by the Shoreham flyover, and another for a broken down van. Ridiculous.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
A car hit the central reservation. Two cars then collided in the queue. Then half an hour later two more cars collided further down near Portslade.

I was going to post a thread about the A27. I only passed my test earlier this year and I drive this road twice a day, through Southwick tunnel, and for the life of me I can't work out why there are so many accidents, let alone people that have probably driven a lot longer than me.

Just this week alone I've been delayed 3 times by sirens all on a tiny stretch of road by Southwick tunnel. The above, one due to a collision by the Shoreham flyover, and another for a broken down van. Ridiculous.

This one is very common, the rest are probably no more than you would expect on a dual carriageway, where traffic slows very quickly, approaching Lancing.

Approaching the Southwick tunnel from the West above 70Mph is really not a good idea, the road bends and drops quite suddenly and at one point only the exit tunnel is visible in the hill. Anyone going too fast and not really concentrating, can get a nasty shock as the road suddenly curves to the left and they plough into the central reservation. I had a car do this in front of me about 2 years ago. It then span back across the two lanes in front of me and ended up on the bank, facing the wrong way.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
The amount of "routine maintenance" that tunnel gets.....

Oh and surprise surprise it's closed again tonight and tomorrow night as well.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The amount of "routine maintenance" that tunnel gets.....

Oh and surprise surprise it's closed again tonight and tomorrow night as well.

Seemly according to our local builders, when it was built, the concrete was too thick and they didn't go down deep enough, so they have to keep maintaining the place to stop it filling up!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here