Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best sports commentary ever?

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
Searched and didn't see this, so apologies if already posted!

Saw this tweeted today by a guy from The Times - cracking piece of old rugby commentary... thought some might appreciate and could post some other favorites. I watch the Storer Doncaster goal at least once a month and has always been my fave...

Anyway, 1994 Regal Trophy Final, Castleford v Wigan. Not sure who the commentator is, but would take a pretty good guess and say he's a local..... "You bottle-less git" is probably my best line!

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
So many over the years...perhaps its easier to highlight the truly great of broadcasting and remember one or two vintage moments.
John Arlott...who lifted cricket commentary to an art form....1975 World Cup Final at Lords...Australia v W.Indies...." and Gilmour trudges back to his mark...and how different it is from just Wednesday to Today......now, he's struggling even to bowl a maiden ball......he turns and comes in and Lloyd hits him high over midwicket for four. Shot of a man knocking a thistle-top off with a walking stick. Lloyd 99, West Indies something for 3. Gilmour in again and Lloyd slashes him down to third-man. Thats his hundred and the ground is full of leaping, seething West Indian delight "
Harry Carpenter...Ali v Foreman 1974..." Oh, he's got him....and Foreman's not going to make the count...Oh my God he's won the title back at 32...I can't believe it "
Peter O'Sullevan too many to recall....Grundy v Bustino ( King George ) Red Rum ( 1977 ) Aldaniti ( 1981 ) and Sea Pigeon in the Champion Hurdle...." the old man is coming to win it ".....Dawn Run at Cheltenham...the day grown men stood and cried.
David Coleman...hours of vintage athletics. Hemery at Mexico...Anne Packer....Coe/Ovett...and on and on.
Kenneth Wolstenholme who probably saved his finest hour for England's finest hour....." and here's Ball again, running his heart out "...." there's some people on the pitch, they think its all over....it is now "....." its only 12 inches high but its made of solid gold and it means that England are World Champions "

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Searched and didn't see this, so apologies if already posted!

Saw this tweeted today by a guy from The Times - cracking piece of old rugby commentary... thought some might appreciate and could post some other favorites. I watch the Storer Doncaster goal at least once a month and has always been my fave...

Anyway, 1994 Regal Trophy Final, Castleford v Wigan. Not sure who the commentator is, but would take a pretty good guess and say he's a local..... "You bottle-less git" is probably my best line!

take note Jonny Cantor

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Always liked this Barry Davies effort. "Where were the Germans.....?"

[YT]lfO6hUCRMgI[/YT]

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Don't recall the commentator but I quite liked " Bobby Moore...........oh so cool...........(loses possession)...........too cool.....1-0.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Same hockey final, and Sean Kerly is flattened by a shoulder charge. The pitchside mic picks up Kerly shouting 'f*ucking hell'. Barry Davies: "I don't think Sean Kerly was too impressed by that challenge. Sorry about that..."

Barry Davies: "Half an hour gone, and England beginning to look slightly better value for their 'nil'..."
Barry Davies: "30 seconds to go before five minutes to half-time..."

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
The 'Master' Richie Benaud during Beefy's mammoth innings smashing it all over the place at Headingley 1981 : "Don't even bother looking for that. It's gone into the confectionery stall and out again."

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Murray Walker showing some humour referencing an advert of the time

[YT]1oI7LAmrces[/YT]

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
"Well the 30 minutes are almost up, Swindon fans, but you're not there yet....In it goes.....oh, it's gone in! Brighton, in added on time, have snatched a goal through Virgo! Incredible! Once again there is late, late, late drama in the play-offs!"

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Of course, this thread would not be complete without this from Bjorge Lillelien:

[yt]PqZTP8-8wIs[/yt]

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
Munich 2001 Motty "This just keeps getting better and better!". I remeber us thumping Wolves 4-1 not long after that, when Coppell was in charge, and that phrase kept coming back to me.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Kelly Holmes 2004 Olympics first final of the two I think
'Come on Kelly, you can do it, come on Kelly. '

Great stuff

simon swagbag

Jul 8, 2003
Eastbourne
I watched that speedway clip again last night where Tony Millard goes "are they dancing?"
I miss that bloke's voice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here