Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ulloa back this weekend?

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I can't access the Argus story saying he's back in the squad this weekend. Can someone kindly tell me what it says exactly? Is he likely to be on the bench or is this just the Argus being optimistic?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Leo Ulloa could return to the Albion squad at Middlesbrough on Saturday.

The Seagulls' star striker has been sidelined since fracturing a foot bone in the home game against Sheffield Wednesday on October 1.

Ulloa took part in a practice game at the end of training at Withdean yesterday, along with Will Buckley (ankle).

Assistant head coach Nathan Jones told The Argus: "We'll see, we'll gauge it, and we'll speak to Leo as well. He had a good moan in training, which shows he's back and doing okay. He's looking better and the competition we have now bodes well.

"We won't push him. Realistically last week we could have risked him (against Leicester) but we didn't. He's had an extra week, so we'll see."

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I can't access the Argus story saying he's back in the squad this weekend. Can someone kindly tell me what it says exactly? Is he likely to be on the bench or is this just the Argus being optimistic?

Seemingly both Ulloa and Buckers played in a full training match yesterday. Make of that what you will.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Judhing by what Jones says then he is ready considering he admited could of been risked v Leicester.

Pretty certain he'll be on the bench. Will need to earn the right to start

Dec 29, 2011
Judhing by what Jones says then he is ready considering he admited could of been risked v Leicester.

Pretty certain he'll be on the bench. Will need to earn the right to start

He's already earnt it with his performance since he arrived. Best player the at the club and should go straight back in when 100% fit.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Barnes has done nothing to warrent being dropped so even if Ulloa is 100% fit and ready to go I would start him on the bench.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Barnes has done nothing to warrent being dropped so even if Ulloa is 100% fit and ready to go I would start him on the bench.

It would be a massive kick in the teeth for Barnes if he was dropped immediately, Barnes is very much a confidence player and this would be detrimental to his game. Ulloa should be on the bench, if he's ready.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Let's not forget that they said he'd be ready for last week too.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Leo Ulloa could return to the Albion squad at Middlesbrough on Saturday.

The Seagulls' star striker has been sidelined since fracturing a foot bone in the home game against Sheffield Wednesday on October 1.

Ulloa took part in a practice game at the end of training at Withdean yesterday, along with Will Buckley (ankle).

Assistant head coach Nathan Jones told The Argus: "We'll see, we'll gauge it, and we'll speak to Leo as well. He had a good moan in training, which shows he's back and doing okay. He's looking better and the competition we have now bodes well.

"We won't push him. Realistically last week we could have risked him (against Leicester) but we didn't. He's had an extra week, so we'll see."

Cheers. Just wondering as Orlandi was touted as being ready late November but the fitness issue has delayed his return. No sense in risking Ulloa just yet with Barnes doing well I don't think. But with Boro only losing one game at home this year he may be useful late on.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Bench at best, but travelling all that way I would say he has more of a chance being on the bench for Huddersfield. (Leo)

Yes agreed, bench at best, there is no way he will be risked from the start, not having played a competitive match in nearly three months.. But with the traveling distances involved for this Saturday's game, expect that to happen next weekend rather than this.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
2 points

1) Ulloa to score the last goal of the game, has to be the bet of the weekend.
Turns out skybet are offering 11/2, hardly the coup of the season.

B) FOR F***SAKE HOW MANY TIMES DOES THIS HAVE TO BE SAID:-

Football is a squad based sport.
We have the greatest squad in club history.
No player (Tommy K being the exception that proves the rule) 'keeps the jersey'.
It's up to Oscar to pick the best side to win the next game.

Last edited:

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
He's already earnt it with his performance since he arrived. Best player the at the club and should go straight back in when 100% fit.

Based on Oscar's comments in the Argus yesterday he doesn't seem to be anywhere near 100% fit - "Striker Leo Ulloa (foot), sidelined since the start of October, is training but not at “high intensity” according to head coach Oscar Garcia. The Spaniard added: “After his injury you have to be careful.”"

Dec 29, 2011
Based on Oscar's comments in the Argus yesterday he doesn't seem to be anywhere near 100% fit - "Striker Leo Ulloa (foot), sidelined since the start of October, is training but not at “high intensity” according to head coach Oscar Garcia. The Spaniard added: “After his injury you have to be careful.”"

To be fair, 100% fit can be interpreted in two ways. Some people may mean 100% over his injury, no chance of it recurring. Other may see it as 100% match fit, which he obviously won't be after 2-3 months out. Either way I'm not holding my breath, lots of history of reports being wrong recently.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
so here's my likely team for Boro based on news coming out about fitness etc

Brez, Calde, Upson, El Abd, Bruno, Ince, Bridcutt, Crofts, David, Barnes, Conway

Walton, Maksimenko/Chicksen, Andrews/Agustien, Dunk, KLL, Ulloa (if fit)/Lita, Buckley

its hard now. Strong squad. Orlandi/CMS to go. Conway's last game. Suspect we've also seen last of Lita.

Jimmy Grimble

I'm not expecting to see him until Huddersfield, the slightest doubt and I don't think he'll travel.

Although it's basically impossible not to miss him, we aren't exactly desperate for his return at this stage of the season - esepcially off the back of Barnes scoring twice and playing well.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here